Razr Maxx Gorilla Glass ? Get a protective screen! This G Glassnot as good as Droid X

k9pal

Reaction score
I had the Droid X with Gorilla glass from the day it was released. I like my phones without the protective screen. Never had a scratch on the glass. Always kept it in my purse or pocket. I did not get Bionic because of it not having the Gorilla Glass. I did try the Razr, liked it but of course battery life a problem and maybe a few other minor items but could not live with battery. I reluctantly returned it and tried to limp through with my Droid X (was slow and had a few issues.)

When Razr Maxx release I had it on day one! Excellent Battery life. Finally I can say GREAT phone! I was actually admiring it last night! Which is strange for me. I think I love this phone. Also received a small update on 2.3.6. I really think this is over all better than Razr 11-11-11. How ever very disapointed with Gorilla Glass. I have two scratches on the glass! I Can't believe it. It's only 14 days old? I have a 30 day return but don't think I can return it because of the scratchs. This can't be the same GORILLA GLASS that was on the DROID X. I am a BIG Supporter of Motorola products, I wish I had known that this G Glass was not THE SAME QUALITY. I still would have purchased the phone and added the Screen PROTECTOR. I just am a believer of the quality of the Gorilla Glass I remember seeing YOUTUBE DROID X examples of a guy with a key trying to scratch the glass and it proved to be true! (for Droid x).

Anyway, This phone is a Keeper. Can one of the MOT guys out there let if know if the glass is different? I am curious if it is the same as the Droid X. Maybe it is just a fluke and the Glass is Defective. Thank goodness only the glass! :) Over All very happy Camper. GET A PROTECTIVE SCREEN! THIS GORILLA GLASS IS NOT THE SAME QUALITY.

droidxd00d

Reaction score
I had the Droid X with Gorilla glass from the day it was released. I like my phones without the protective screen. Never had a scratch on the glass. Always kept it in my purse or pocket. I did not get Bionic because of it not having the Gorilla Glass. I did try the Razr, liked it but of course battery life a problem and maybe a few other minor items but could not live with battery. I reluctantly returned it and tried to limp through with my Droid X (was slow and had a few issues.)

When Razr Maxx release I had it on day one! Excellent Battery life. Finally I can say GREAT phone! I was actually admiring it last night! Which is strange for me. I think I love this phone. Also received a small update on 2.3.6. I really think this is over all better than Razr 11-11-11. How ever very disapointed with Gorilla Glass. I have two scratches on the glass! I Can't believe it. It's only 14 days old? I have a 30 day return but don't think I can return it because of the scratchs. This can't be the same GORILLA GLASS that was on the DROID X. I am a BIG Supporter of Motorola products, I wish I had known that this G Glass was not THE SAME QUALITY. I still would have purchased the phone and added the Screen PROTECTOR. I just am a believer of the quality of the Gorilla Glass I remember seeing YOUTUBE DROID X examples of a guy with a key trying to scratch the glass and it proved to be true! (for Droid x).

Anyway, This phone is a Keeper. Can one of the MOT guys out there let if know if the glass is different? I am curious if it is the same as the Droid X. Maybe it is just a fluke and the Glass is Defective. Thank goodness only the glass! :) Over All very happy Camper. GET A PROTECTIVE SCREEN! THIS GORILLA GLASS IS NOT THE SAME QUALITY.

Gorilla glass is "scratch resistant" not scratch proof. You are probably just very lucky with the Droid x. My og Droid had gorilla glass and its scratched to hell and back. And it was only ever in my pocket. And next time buy a good screen protector. I don't why people spend hundreds on a device not to spend 15$ or less protect the screen from a scratch that you will see every day. If you get good brands of protectors you will never tell the difference.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Reaction score
my bionic doesn't have gorilla glass?:blink:. Uhhhhhhhh. Hmmmmm. I think all Bionics have it. GG may be scratch proof... but it is not immune to everything. Razor blades and diamonds can destroy them. It is great to have but added protection helps.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
You probably scratched the glare proof coating instead of the glass. Although, like others have said gorilla glass isn't scratch proof

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

As droidxd00d said, the glass is "scratch resistant". The thing that many people find out is that because it's scratch resistant they take more chances with it, like carrying it in the same pocket with keys and such. The videos showing keys not being able to scratch the screen are with BRASS or Aluminum Alloy keys. Keys are almost NEVER made of hardened or spring Steel. Unfortunately, the KEY RINGS ARE! So by carrying the keys in the same pocket with the Gorilla Glass screen, you are not likely to get a scratch from the actual KEYS, but you can easily get a scratch from the Steel Ring or Carabiner that you have your keys on.

Also, it's been said by me and many others here, it is just as easy to get a scratch on the Gorilla Glass with your FINGER as it is with an object such as a keyring. All that has to be, is for there to be a speck of highly abrasive dirt, tiny fragments of crushed stone that you could have collected when you picked up something dirty, and that tiny little speck can put a nice new scratch across that beautiful Gorilla Glass screen. It doesn't take much pressure or for that matter not even a visible speck to cause this. Since the scratch will reflect light, even if it's only half as wide as a human hair it will look ugly and jump out at you like a sore thumb.

The good news is VERY FINE superficial scratches can be polished out. I have a compound called RareOX (Trademark for optical quality Cerium Oxide for high speed polishing), which is a powder substance that is the consistency of flour, and with a small amount, and a drop or two of water, this can be formed into a thin paste. You take a dab of this stuff, put it onto an organic cloth (i.e. cotton), I use cotton balls, and then rub in small circular motions around and over the scratch with light pressure. You may have to do this for several minutes depending on the depth of the scratch, but eventually it will disappear.

I got the stuff from a glass cutting place that polishes the edges of tabletop glass. There are MANY variations, such as Aluminum, Titanium, Tin or Chrome Oxides, essentially any compound that is used to polish glass to a scratch-free finish can be used. The finer the powder the better, but the longer it will take. It is usually sold in grades of fineness.

Diamond Fast - Cerium Oxide Glass Polishing Compound | Glass Scratch Repair Polishes and Compounds | Glass Scratch Removal Equipment & Supplies | Gtglass | Glass Technology, Inc. is one comparable to the RareOX I use.

I got it to resolve a scratch on my car's driver's side window glass that was put there by a guy with a tire-iron. It looked more like an area of frosting. It took me about 20 minutes to completely remove that scratch but once done you couldn't tell it had ever been hit. Ever since, I've used the stuff to polish glass and other hard surfaces, and have even used it to polish scratches out of CDs and DVDs. It works amazingly well for those purposes.

Last edited:
OP
K

k9pal

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Point well taken. I know its scatch resistant not scratch proof. Bummer.... I take such good care of my phones. Now when I put a screen on it...the scratches are really gonna show more. .....

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Thanks everyone. Point well taken. I know its scatch resistant not scratch proof. Bummer.... I take such good care of my phones. Now when I put a screen on it...the scratches are really gonna show more. .....

Actually the soft adhesive back of the screen protector will mask the scratch and you will likely not be able to see it at all until you remove it again sometime in the future. ;)

OP
K

k9pal

Reaction score
my bionic doesn't have gorilla glass?:blink:. Uhhhhhhhh. Hmmmmm. I think all Bionics have it. GG may be scratch proof... but it is not immune to everything. Razor blades and diamonds can destroy them. It is great to have but added protection helps.

Let me correct my statement. The salesperson at the Verizon Store said that the Bionic did not have Gorilla Glass...so that is why I did not buy the Bionic. I also have found out that not all Gorilla Glass is created the same. Some are thicker and thinner than others, the thickness adds weight.....so....looks like Razr may or could be different. We all live and learn.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Let me correct my statement. The salesperson at the Verizon Store said that the Bionic did not have Gorilla Glass...so that is why I did not buy the Bionic. I also have found out that not all Gorilla Glass is created the same. Some are thicker and thinner than others, the thickness adds weight.....so....looks like Razr may or could be different. We all live and learn.

The only difference IS the thickness and weight (and of course, the shape and cutouts...) The process that creates the scratch resistance of ion doping of the glass is the same, and has to be in order to carry the Gorilla Glass trademark and fall under the patent. If it were different, it would have a different name, such as Gorilla Glass Plus, or Gorilla Glass II.

OP
K

k9pal

Reaction score
As droidxd00d said, the glass is "scratch resistant". The thing that many people find out is that because it's scratch resistant they take more chances with it, like carrying it in the same pocket with keys and such. The videos showing keys not being able to scratch the screen are with BRASS or Aluminum Alloy keys. Keys are almost NEVER made of hardened or spring Steel. Unfortunately, the KEY RINGS ARE! So by carrying the keys in the same pocket with the Gorilla Glass screen, you are not likely to get a scratch from the actual KEYS, but you can easily get a scratch from the Steel Ring or Carabiner that you have your keys on.

Also, it's been said by me and many others here, it is just as easy to get a scratch on the Gorilla Glass with your FINGER as it is with an object such as a keyring. All that has to be, is for there to be a speck of highly abrasive dirt, tiny fragments of crushed stone that you could have collected when you picked up something dirty, and that tiny little speck can put a nice new scratch across that beautiful Gorilla Glass screen. It doesn't take much pressure or for that matter not even a visible speck to cause this. Since the scratch will reflect light, even if it's only half as wide as a human hair it will look ugly and jump out at you like a sore thumb.

The good news is VERY FINE superficial scratches can be polished out. I have a compound called RareOX (Trademark for optical quality Cerium Oxide for high speed polishing), which is a powder substance that is the consistency of flour, and with a small amount, and a drop or two of water, this can be formed into a thin paste. You take a dab of this stuff, put it onto an organic cloth (i.e. cotton), I use cotton balls, and then rub in small circular motions around and over the scratch with light pressure. You may have to do this for several minutes depending on the depth of the scratch, but eventually it will disappear.

I got the stuff from a glass cutting place that polishes the edges of tabletop glass. There are MANY variations, such as Aluminum, Titanium, Tin or Chrome Oxides, essentially any compound that is used to polish glass to a scratch-free finish can be used. The finer the powder the better, but the longer it will take. It is usually sold in grades of fineness.

Diamond Fast - Cerium Oxide Glass Polishing Compound | Glass Scratch Repair Polishes and Compounds | Glass Scratch Removal Equipment & Supplies | Gtglass | Glass Technology, Inc. is one comparable to the RareOX I use.

I got it to resolve a scratch on my car's driver's side window glass that was put there by a guy with a tire-iron. It looked more like an area of frosting. It took me about 20 minutes to completely remove that scratch but once done you couldn't tell it had ever been hit. Ever since, I've used the stuff to polish glass and other hard surfaces, and have even used it to polish scratches out of CDs and DVDs. It works amazingly well for those purposes.

Thank you for the information! Have you tried it on a phone with Gorilla Glass? Will it affect the special coating?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Thank you for the information! Have you tried it on a phone with Gorilla Glass? Will it affect the special coating?

No, I haven't tried it on Gorilla Glass, so I really can't say how well it will work. As for the"special coating" it's not really a coating, but rather a treatment which changes the crystalline structure of the glass itself and makes it stronger at the surface and for a certain measurement of depth at the molecular level. In other words it's not some kind of coating that can come off like a coating would. Still, using an abrasive will remove actual molecules of glass from the surface so with enough polishing and abrasive you can eventually remove enough glass that there may not be any treated glass left.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Last edited:

Xil

Reaction score
See personally I don't buy the screen protectors for a few reason. One: I've always felt that the touch accuracy was a little reduced with them. Two: I had the feel of them compared to the feel of the screen. Three: I don't like the way the screen looks with them on.
So I'm just extra careful, and have never scratched any of my droid products in the past 2 or so years between my RAZR and OG Droid.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
See personally I don't buy the screen protectors for a few reason. One: I've always felt that the touch accuracy was a little reduced with them. Two: I had the feel of them compared to the feel of the screen. Three: I don't like the way the screen looks with them on.
So I'm just extra careful, and have never scratched any of my droid products in the past 2 or so years between my RAZR and OG Droid.

I agree with you on at least two points, possibly all three. I am not sure if I've seen any reduction in accuracy with the ZAGG protector, but I do dislike the "grippiness" of the screen especially while using Swype keyboard. The ZAGG prevents my finger from gliding smoothly across the screen. It does however actually increase my typing accuracy while using the standard keyboard since my fingers land and stay on the key I am intending to select, whereas the with the naked Glass screen my fingers tend to slip about and hit adjoining keys. The look is also diminished. There's nothing like a clean Glass screen to show off the phone and give you the best user experience.

aktrazer

Reaction score
I have always had screen protectors. Last night I slammed my Razr in my car door, not once but twice (posted about it last night). I'm pretty sure the protector saved the screen. There was no damage to the phone body or actual screen but the protector definitely looked like an elephant sat on it. I drive a 93 Ford Explorer with a 4" lift and 31" tires (I drive in the snow alot), and it not only survived the impact of a 200lb steel door hitting it twice, but then survived the fall after it dislodged!

Everyone has their own opinions on screen protectors, I'm an advocate for them. If I didn't have it on there when I slammed it, I'm pretty sure the screen would be pretty banged up if not destroyed.

I can't say enough about this phone's durability. I'm a database developer and use it heavily to run queries remotely and I've never had a phone that can put up with the punishment like this one can.

Back to the topic, I believe it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. I bought a 3 pack of anti-glare, matte protectors for 2.25 on eBay, best money I have ever spent. Yeah, it effects the sensitivity a little and the picture isn't as clear, but come on. 2 bucks that could protect your phone, I'll take it. All I had to do was take the old one off and slap a new one on. Took 20 seconds.

That's my 2 cents on the matter.

Zandar

Reaction score
It's all about choices. I could put on a screen protector and an Otterbox case and have a very durable phone, but I got my RAZR because it's thin and has an awesome screen. I like to enjoy those qualities, so I won't cover them up with a case and screen protector (I also hate how screen protectors dull the touch sensitivity). I know the risk and I won't come pissing and moaning if I ever scratch my screen.

The people who get to me are the ones who will either say you're a fool for not being protected or who are unprotected and then call the device crap when they break it.