Does your 4G ever drop for a few seconds or a couple of minutes?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Welcome to DroidForums bloomcounty! Thank you for this helpful information. As frustrating as it has been, it has been a problem on several different phones but oddly enough, not for all people. This ha made it equally frustrating why it happens for some and not others. It does appear that many have seen dramatic improvement after receiving the ICS upgrade (and combined with doing a factory data reset). The Bionic is supposed to be receiving the ICS upgrade very soon. Hopefully this will also finally give you better 4g connection. Feel free to jump in and ask any questions or offer your wisdom. We welcome it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

chrisrach3

Reaction score
Ok, I've been having the same problem for a couple of months with my Bionic, and didn't have the problem prior to that. Contacted tech support, tried several things, and even went as far as to have them send me a new phone...only to have the same problem with the new one. Finally called tech support again a couple of weeks ago and had a less than satisfying conversation with that guy. He suggested that I live in a limited service area (which I don't) and finally after agreeing to disagree, his only suggestion was to possibly try changing out the sim card. He didn't think it would help but had nothing else.

Anyway, when I went into a local Verizon store in Portland, OR and explained the problem, the guy knew exactly what I was talking about. He said that all the 4g phones were doing it, and that after some extensive research on the Droid forums, he had discovered that this is due to a software problem in the towers which causes the 4G connection to prematurely time out...thus causing the drop in service. He told me that they were supposed to do a software patch update for the towers to solve that problem on or around July 27th. Not a phone software patch, but one internally for the towers.

I had them exchange my sim card anyway, but was hopeful that I would soon see an end to this issue, but here we are two weeks later and I'm still noticing the problem. Hopefully what he said was true and that there's a light at the end of the tunnel. Not sure if all this is true and accurate, but it's what I was told.

Same exact problems on my Rezound. Until Ice Cream Sandwich update. Now everything's fine. I had to do a factory data reset after the update, but it's great now.