Force GPS to update??!?

altjx

Reaction score
Guys, I am running into an extremely annoying problem. For example, me and my gf went to go look at apartments yesterday and just happen to get a little lost. To bring some confidence, I load up the maps app on my DROID RAZR MAXX... The damn thing just has a huge blue circle around my dot (which was located on top of someone's house a few blocks over), and it just sits there.

Meanwhile, I have 4G, the up and down arrows are not lit up blue but the 4G icon is. I can perfectly surf the web or other things that require data so I am sure that data works... The GPS icon is in the top left corner but nothing is happening in the maps icon. I've tried to close out the maps app by clearing it from the recent app list, but it seems like it updates once with the blue circle around, and goes back to staying there for 3-4 minutes.

It seems like it only updates 3-4 minutes while driving, and this seriously pisses me off because by then, it becomes useless.

Help. Thanks :D

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Idk what to tell ya here, other than to try downloading one of the GPS tool apps in the play store... my GPS doesn't work correctly either.... :mad:

BaSHa

Reaction score
Does the .215 leak fix this? I'm running the factory ICS and have this same problem, it is so frustrating!

OP
A

altjx

Reaction score
I'm actually running the .215 ICS leak, so nope the problem still exists here. Lol.

CaGaPeach

Reaction score
Guys, I am running into an extremely annoying problem. For example, me and my gf went to go look at apartments yesterday and just happen to get a little lost. To bring some confidence, I load up the maps app on my DROID RAZR MAXX... The damn thing just has a huge blue circle around my dot (which was located on top of someone's house a few blocks over), and it just sits there.

Meanwhile, I have 4G, the up and down arrows are not lit up blue but the 4G icon is. I can perfectly surf the web or other things that require data so I am sure that data works... The GPS icon is in the top left corner but nothing is happening in the maps icon. I've tried to close out the maps app by clearing it from the recent app list, but it seems like it updates once with the blue circle around, and goes back to staying there for 3-4 minutes.

It seems like it only updates 3-4 minutes while driving, and this seriously pisses me off because by then, it becomes useless.

Help. Thanks :D

This may now be a known issue with Google Maps/Navigation. On google Products forum, Maps, you'll find more info. For some reason this forum doesn't have a lot of reports on this problem that started back in June. Motorola forum is also loaded with reports. BTW, factor reset did not do a thing for me. neither did clearing cache, uninstalling maps, reinstalling, etc. It seems to be a serious problem especially for those that rely on this for business. Google has not reported a resolution date, yet.

OP
A

altjx

Reaction score
This may now be a known issue with Google Maps/Navigation. On google Products forum, Maps, you'll find more info. For some reason this forum doesn't have a lot of reports on this problem that started back in June. Motorola forum is also loaded with reports. BTW, factor reset did not do a thing for me. neither did clearing cache, uninstalling maps, reinstalling, etc. It seems to be a serious problem especially for those that rely on this for business. Google has not reported a resolution date, yet.

Wow. Agreed, I thought I would be using it for work as well, but I'm glad to know this. I won't be using this garbage GPS anytime soon. I'm sure by time a fix comes, I'll already have a physical GPS device.

I should really do more research prior to buying an Android phone. This issue alone would have kept me from buying it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Well, now I know why my smart apps that rely on location don't work half the time.

Smart actions uses WiFi for location, and doesn't work reliably for me either. I've finally given up and use time frame for my trigger.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Rangerhgm

Reaction score
Smart actions uses WiFi for location, and doesn't work reliably for me either. I've finally given up and use time frame for my trigger.

So you can't use the location trigger for SA unless your in range of wi-fi? I use the location trigger when I'm at work and I don't have access to wi-fii there. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Does it switch to GPS if there is no wi-fi in range?

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
So you can't use the location trigger for SA unless your in range of wi-fi? I use the location trigger when I'm at work and I don't have access to wi-fii there. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Does it switch to GPS if there is no wi-fi in range?

From what I've read it does not. last night at work I tried it again set location, and when it ever got outta range (WiFi) it would turn off a smart actions completely!

Rangerhgm

Reaction score
now that I think about it......how would wi-fi locate you to work with the location trigger for a SA? Seems like it would require GPS, not wi-fi.

Last edited:

jwgraves

Reaction score
I've had the same issue with GPS not working when first turned on (Maps, Navigation and other apps don't work right because of this). I finally found on another forum a (temporary) solution...if you toggle the bluetooth on/off and THEN turn the GPS on, it locks onto satellites within 30 seconds every time.

Weird fix and frustrating but is consistent for me.

OP
A

altjx

Reaction score
I've had the same issue with GPS not working when first turned on (Maps, Navigation and other apps don't work right because of this). I finally found on another forum a (temporary) solution...if you toggle the bluetooth on/off and THEN turn the GPS on, it locks onto satellites within 30 seconds every time.

Wow, what the hell? Thanks for this information man...

CaGaPeach

Reaction score

Does not work for me.