Dropping 4g every few mins.

Discussion in 'Thunderbolt Tech Support' started by Ad0131065, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Ad0131065

Ad0131065 Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

I seem to be dropping 4G every so often when using the internet or data. The 4G system symbol disappears for a few seconds at a time and anything data related comes to a halt.

Is anyone else seeing this or did I get a lemon?

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App
  2. georgek

georgek New Member

Are you on the border of 3g and 4g? I'm in a solid 4g area and it doesn't drop at all.

3. TeatherWind

TeatherWind New Member

my wife is seeing that two. We are both in the same room with the same phone, and I am not seeing that as much.
  4. Ad0131065

I am in the center of charlotte which is nowhere near the border of the 4g coverage.

I came from a DX and after my TB was activated I could still use the DX data but no calls. I cut my DX off and since then I haven't had an issue. Jfk if its a coincidence or not...

5. jawa6969

jawa6969 New Member

I am experiencing the same thing when on 4GLTE. The icon constantly appears and disappears and data is spotty. It's like it is "refreshing" the connection to get data going. Then sometimes it drops to 3g and I even saw 1X quite a few times. I thought I got a dud. I did look up the 4g coverage map and it appears I am close to some 4g extended areas and the map states if you are in one of those areas, you will see the phone go into 3g from time to time. I guess I am going to have to go to a solid 4g area to see what I get. Maybe this was the heart of some of the delay.

I hope when this phone jumps from 4g to 3g and lower, it's not completely killing the data connections. If so, streaming music and whatnot while mobile is going to be a nightmare until they get the 4g infrastructure going full boar.
  6. jawa6969

jawa6969 New Member

An update. Went and ran some errands in a solid 4g area. Well, I guess my house is situated on the edge of a 4g/3g area, cause at home, the 4g icon is constantly disappearing. When I was mobile, it locked on and worked really really fast. The handoff between 4g and 3g (or lower) is causing data to stop. Good news is, I didn't get a bad device. Now all I need is for the 4g network to get better and stronger.
  7. Ad0131065

Good to hear you got it figured out. I truly believe my issue was that the data still working on my x was causing problems

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using DroidForums App
  8. bmw_speeder

bmw_speeder New Member

Greetings. Am in Jacksonville downtown and have downloaded a couple handy monitoring apps due to this very same driver -- the 4G data flow is constantly being interrupted.

Hasn't been much more than a nuisance so far, but am starting to get to the point where I'll be wanting to broadcast live content over the network to one or more people from my team in a conference (Skype-like) setting.

Anyone have stats on the cycles of signal interruption? I'll see about posting mine if anyone has an interest.
  9. Ad0131065

Welll it came back guess o have shot reception

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using DroidForums App
  10. mchenetz

mchenetz New Member

I am in Mooresville, not too far from Charlotte, and i am getting drops when using the mobile hotspot, frequently. It seems when i use the USB tether, I do not have an issue. I am not sure whether the issue is with the network or just the mobile hotspot software.
  11. thmorrill

thmorrill New Member

Wonky mobile hotspot

I am having the same issue...when it works it is blazing even just with 2 or 3 bars but, it shifts out of 4G and back but data stops. I just thought it may be that I didn't have 3G MH on my plan and it was choking. I am going to try the USB tonight tho and see what gives.
  12. brancat92

brancat92 New Member

Losing 4G signal

Does anyone have a problem with losing their 4G signal on thei Thunderbokt?

Sent from my Thunderbolt using DroidForums App
  13. kmcgee62

kmcgee62 New Member

All the time let me guess your battery is draining real fast

14. brancat92

brancat92 New Member

My battery life isnt horrible considering 4g, but its not the best either. But this losing 4g is very annoying!!

15. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Unless you're right in one of the initial cities that got 4G then you're going to have that. The network has just started and coverage laps have to be expected.

That's another reason why I'm not a big fan of the phone. Not that it isn't a good phone, from what I've heard it is. But losing 4G coverage is something you'll have to live with.

You can always call Verizon and try to have them open a ticket, but I'll bet they'll just say sorry, it's new and full coverage is not expected.
  16. brancat92

brancat92 New Member

I live in cincinnati and they said as long and im within abt 10-20 miles outside of the 275 loop im good. I am well within that. Ill prolly call them and ask for a new sim card or for them to open a ticket on it and see what they can do.

17. cpjr

cpjr New Member

Its just like when 3G was first being deployed....very spotty coverage.
  18. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

That doesn't even make sense. I lived in Northern KY, there is no way that they can claim good coverage outside of that loop. That's the first I ever heard of a 275 mile loop and knowing the terrain from Cincinnati to let'ssay Florence and that big hill, I think it would be a problem. And you're only talking about a 20 mile loop from downtown there.

I'd say you'd be lucky to get it in Blue Ash. But that's just my opinion.
  19. scaner

scaner New Member

Today i was have a crazy day..allmost a for 1 hour i lost a 4G,,and its nothing...no 3g...no 1x...just nothing.....and my phone go crazy...reboot 3 or 4 times...,,,,,at my work..i have a 4g coverage,for the last 5 day i never have a problem like this,,did a restart,,take of a battery,,and nothing..i was start thinking to go and change my phone,but when i go home..in my way back its strart working,,and now its works ok...any idea...
  20. joewilly013

joewilly013 New Member

I am having similar issues in Phoenix. My TB hops between LTE, 3G, and sometimes even 1x. And on top of this, it doesn't transition smoothly- it goes from LTE to no data (for about 5 sec), then it picks up 3G. When this happens, any data xfer operation either fails, times out, or in some cases causes apps to FC.

VZW tech support says this definitely should NOT be happening, and I just got a new SIM Card tonight so time will tell.

Anyone else having a similar issue?

Search tags for this page
4g symbol disappears constantly
htc connection drops after few minutes

no 4g signal st pete florida

usb551l keeps dropping connection
verizon 4g signal unstable
verizon unstable 4g