4g connection

Discussion in 'Thunderbolt Tech Support' started by derek33, Jul 30, 2011.

1. derek33

derek33 New Member

Hey for some reason at least 2 times a day I lose all internet connection meaning I lose my 4g it just disappears for 5 seconds an then its back no 3g or 1x just nothing

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums
  2. eldub

eldub New Member

Mine has been doing that frequently since the last update. Factory reset didn't help. I live in strong 4g area and this never happened before the update. Spent some time on phone and in store with tech support but their only solution is factory reset or replacement with refurb. I read somewhere that someone fixed a similar problem by replacing the sim card but even trying to do that has been difficult. The guy in the store said he wouldn't do it, on the phone they keep telling me they will mail me one but it never comes. Incompetence! I'm hoping enough people have this problem that they will fix it with an update, but I'm not holding my breath. Plus the problems caused by the next update could be worse than those it fixes.

3. bbrain

bbrain New Member

I've also heard that they have been doing work on the antenna's.
  4. rovagu22

rovagu22 New Member

Happened to me all day today. I usually get 4g 24/7 and i had nothing, not even 1x for half the day. Just got it back.
  5. merpaderp

merpaderp New Member

Is there an update on this? Do you guys know if this is a nationwide thing? I live in DC and the only way I can get 4G these days is if I restart my TB, otherwise it's 3G/1X land.
  6. pogibry

pogibry New Member

Same with me. It happens. Usually it will do it when I go some place. It always comes back though

7. eldub

eldub New Member

Well changing the sim card didn't help, if anything it made it worse. I am in Baltimore, and when I call tech support they tell me there are no issues with the towers. Looks like our only hope is gingerbread at this point. I guess I will just leave my phone on 3g in the mean time, at least that way I can use the internet uninterrupted. Remind me why I bought a 4g phone again?

8. eldub

eldub New Member

It may be premature to say I have fixed this problem on my bolt but I have been locked on to strong 4g and now have full bars of signal for 2 hours. I called *228 this updates something with the towers, you are supposed to do this now and then but I always forget. The tech guy at my job reminded me, it's a shame the 10+ people at verizon wireless tech support I spoke to didn't think of it. It's so nice to go online again without losing connectivity every couple of minutes. I hope this helps you guys too!

9. bassmankc

bassmankc New Member

*228 does not work on 4g phones

10. eldub

eldub New Member

Really? Because when I do it my phone says the roaming capabilities have been updated, which is what *228 does. Have you actually tried it or are you just repeating something someone told you once? Maybe it is just my imagination that it has made my signal stronger and more reliable. Anyway, people having this problem can try it, it doesn't cost anything.

11. bassmankc

bassmankc New Member

Just tried it a pop up comes up "a Verizon wireless sim card has been activated and activated your phone" or something to that effect, it doesn't even ring...

12. bassJAM

bassJAM New Member

I thought somewhere on here there was a thread that *228 could possibly fry the sim card, and Verizon says our phones aren't designed to use that function anyway? Did a search but couldn't find it though.

Anyway I've had that problem since I got my phone when the Bolt first released. At first just about everyday I needed to reboot for it to find data. It did it no matter if I was in 4G, 3G, or home wireless. Since then I've had to get the phone replaced (cracked screen) and the new phone has the same issue, but maybe once a week or so. I found a restart connections app that usually works too to help it find a data signal.
  13. eldub

eldub New Member

Yea I saw that thread about frying the sim card. Idk, it may do that to some of them, maybe the older sim cards, as I said I recently replaced the sim to try to fix the data loss problem. Maybe it didn't fry mine cause it's new. They may say *228 doesn't do anything on our phones but I don't believe it because I haven't lost data since I dialed it and before that I was losing data every time, multiple times a session.I guess try it at your own risk, worst case you fry the sim and have to go in to verizon for a free replacement card. All I know is it's nice to have a reliable data connection again, like I had before the last update. The only thing is my phone seems to be getting hot more often now but I can live with that.

14. Blacksheep427

Blacksheep427 New Member

Mine has been losing data signal at times here lately also. For now that means 3G and 1X, although VZW tested 4G about 2 weeks ago in Hagerstown, MD. That's the closest 4G has been to my area.

But, back to data connections lost, I have to restart ThunderBolt to find data signal. Turning radios to airplane mode or toggling data connection will not do it on mine.
  15. eldub

eldub New Member

I was wrong, don't dial *228.

16. thelopenator

thelopenator New Member

Lol.. You fry it yet?

17. Archerjostle

Archerjostle New Member

This has got me pissed BEYOND belief...has anyone been able to complain there way out of a contract? Im THAT upset about it...just simply rediculous!!

18. eldub

eldub New Member

After I dialed *228 it seemed to fix the problem as I didn't lose data but my phone would stay hot for hours at a time which depleted the battery very quickly. Then after a few days the data dropping came back with a vengeance. replaced the sim again and at least now it is back to where it was before with occasionally dropping data and not staying hot.
    I did get a free month of service for all this hassle, but I would rather have a phone that works reliably.hopefully we get another software update that fixes this problem before they completely abandon thunderbolt support. Otherwise I will need to deal with the nightmare of a refurb. Until then I will have a 3g thunderbolt in a 4g area.

19. kaw19razor

kaw19razor New Member

I am having the same issue with data connection... Extremely frustrating and very tempted to root... F-u verizon!

20. MadeForJesus

MadeForJesus New Member

I am having bad data connection problems. Hardly ever have any at my home, where I used to keep 4g with no problem. I am on my first replacement and it still has the same problem. I also get duplicate texts and don't even get some. I am rooted. Do you know of a Rom that don't have this problem?

Search tags for this page

a verizon wireless sim card has activated

a verizon wireless sim card has been activated and *228
how to get better 4g signal on thunderbolt
htc thunderbolt factory reset help 4g connectivity
i lost my 4g connections what happened
losing internet service on my phone but shows 4g
verizon 4 g loses connection fix
why did my 4g phone lose internet connection
why do i lose 4g on phone