Dropping 4g every few mins.

brancat92

Reaction score
I live in cincinnati and they said as long and im within abt 10-20 miles outside of the 275 loop im good. I am well within that. Ill prolly call them and ask for a new sim card or for them to open a ticket on it and see what they can do.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using DroidForums App

cpjr

Reaction score
Its just like when 3G was first being deployed....very spotty coverage.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I live in cincinnati and they said as long and im within abt 10-20 miles outside of the 275 loop im good. I am well within that. Ill prolly call them and ask for a new sim card or for them to open a ticket on it and see what they can do.

That doesn't even make sense. I lived in Northern KY, there is no way that they can claim good coverage outside of that loop. That's the first I ever heard of a 275 mile loop and knowing the terrain from Cincinnati to let'ssay Florence and that big hill, I think it would be a problem. And you're only talking about a 20 mile loop from downtown there.

I'd say you'd be lucky to get it in Blue Ash. But that's just my opinion.

scaner

Reaction score
Today i was have a crazy day..allmost a for 1 hour i lost a 4G,,and its nothing...no 3g...no 1x...just nothing.....and my phone go crazy...reboot 3 or 4 times...,,,,,at my work..i have a 4g coverage,for the last 5 day i never have a problem like this,,did a restart,,take of a battery,,and nothing..i was start thinking to go and change my phone,but when i go home..in my way back its strart working,,and now its works ok...any idea...

joewilly013

Reaction score
I am having similar issues in Phoenix. My TB hops between LTE, 3G, and sometimes even 1x. And on top of this, it doesn't transition smoothly- it goes from LTE to no data (for about 5 sec), then it picks up 3G. When this happens, any data xfer operation either fails, times out, or in some cases causes apps to FC.

VZW tech support says this definitely should NOT be happening, and I just got a new SIM Card tonight so time will tell.

Anyone else having a similar issue?

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

brancat92

Reaction score
Keep me posted on if that works. I am thinking about getting a new sim card as well.

scaner

Reaction score
o so you talk with VZW tech...and they tell you its problem with sim card,,hm..its interesting....ok...ok so poste update if you have more info..or any new stuff..Thanks.:reddroid::)

itzjonjon69

Reaction score
Joe, let me know if the new sim card improves i live in Tempe and i'm getting the same thing
I am having similar issues in Phoenix. My TB hops between LTE, 3G, and sometimes even 1x. And on top of this, it doesn't transition smoothly- it goes from LTE to no data (for about 5 sec), then it picks up 3G. When this happens, any data xfer operation either fails, times out, or in some cases causes apps to FC.

VZW tech support says this definitely should NOT be happening, and I just got a new SIM Card tonight so time will tell.

Anyone else having a similar issue?

joewilly013

Reaction score
I'll report back tomorrow when I have more experience with the new SIM card. I would still recommend VZW tech support though- the more people that report these problems will hopefully elevate the issue. Be patient- they will go through the basic steps (reboot, menu settings, etc), but hopefully you will get someone who actually knows something.

They did mention that there were a few known issues with the TB (but they didn't elaborate).

For me, I'm ok with occasionally dropping from LTE to 3g (especially in the fringe coverage areas), but dropping to no data during the transition is unacceptable (VZW tech support agreed)

joewilly013

Reaction score
I am having the exact same issue in Phoenix. After 1 hr on phone with VZW tech support, I got a new SIM card tonight. Still evaluating if this solved the problem.

Although I don't like dropping LTE, the big issue for me is the complete data interruption, which is hosing up data transfers and has even caused a couple of FCs (VZW agreed this is unacceptable).

joewilly013

Reaction score
So far, the new SIM is no improvement- in fact, bow my problems are worse. Once it transitions networks, the data will not start xfer again unless I reboot the phone. So, I've resorted back to my awfully slow (but yet more reliable than TB) Droid Eris until I go through more troubleshooting. Maybe I need another SIM or even another phone. Note- the VZW rep who swapped my card yesterday seemed clueless, so its possible he fried my new card too I guess.

I might try scrapping 4G and just run it in 3G mode to see what happens. I really hope this is just a HW issue- I really want to believe LTE is better than HSPA+.

Sent from my crappy Droid Eris since my Thunderbolt is a POS

itzjonjon69

Reaction score
So far, the new SIM is no improvement- in fact, bow my problems are worse. Once it transitions networks, the data will not start xfer again unless I reboot the phone. So, I've resorted back to my awfully slow (but yet more reliable than TB) Droid Eris until I go through more troubleshooting. Maybe I need another SIM or even another phone. Note- the VZW rep who swapped my card yesterday seemed clueless, so its possible he fried my new card too I guess.

I might try scrapping 4G and just run it in 3G mode to see what happens. I really hope this is just a HW issue- I really want to believe LTE is better than HSPA+.

Sent from my crappy Droid Eris since my Thunderbolt is a POS
just gave them a call, and they elevated my case to tier 3 support which is their highest tech support possible.

jmz768

Reaction score
Problems with 4G dropping are widespread and there are posts all over other forums about it. A few people have contacted Verizon and say that they were told it's a known issue, even for people in a strong 4G area.

I'm experiencing it myself and I'm in what should be a strong 4G area according to Verizon's maps. Most of the time, I'm dropping from 4G to 3G but have also seen it drop to 1X. When I'm home, I'm almost always in 3G but also drop to 1X once in a while.

I've changed the setting so that my phone uses CDMA only and have had a rock solid 3G connection since. Sure it's not as fast as 4G but it's not really affecting my enjoyment of the phone. I'm gong to give Verizon some time to work out the bugs before I switch back to letting the phone auto detect 4G and 3G.

joewilly013

Reaction score
jmz- did you have issues with your data connection dropping when transitioning from 4G to 3G? For me, even though 3G picked up after a few seconds, all data connections timed out (and in one case I had to reboot the phone to get it back, which is unacceptable to me).

Interesting on 3G- I've been thinking about switching to CDMA mode only to prevent these data drops.

mav46

Reaction score
I'm in an area now designated as "4G LTE Extended Coverage Area" one block from an area designated as "4G LTE Coverage Area". In the 3G coverage map, I'm in the middle of a large 3G service area.

When 4G was announced in this area of South Florida, the entire area was identified as 4G, with no mention of a distinction called "Extended".

My experience at home: I get no 4G LTE service, usually no bars, and intermittent 3G service.

Trips deep into the area designated as "4G LTE Coverage Area" on the coverage map yielded mixed results, with several locations showing no 4G LTE service.

Verizon says they surveyed my street in response to my report and said all service was indeed "marginal". They suggested a network extender that would provide 3G service on an AT&T DSL but had no additional encouragement about 4G availability now or in the near future.

It appears that the Verizon coverage map may not be a very reliable predictor of service availability, in my case for either 3G or 4G.