Do You Need a Data Plan?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by wuzuprad, Oct 26, 2009.

1. space

space New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Got it. That makes good sense.

I deactivated the Droid by calling VZW and asking them to deactivate it and reactivate my old phone. After they deactivated it, I reset my Droid so that it would be in the "like new" factory configuration for the person who bought it. If you power the Droid on following this reset, the first thing it will want to do is configure itself, and to do this it needs to see the cell network and be activated. I didn't see any way around this. So I never had an opportunity to test wifi with the deactivated unit.

However, if you skip the factory reset step, you *may* still be able to use it with wifi only. But if you ever need to reset the unit, you'll probably need to re-activate it.

My $0.02: if you're willing to be a Verizon customer for the next two years anyhow and don't anticipate needing or wanting a different phone soon, then you may as well get it. If it absolutely can't work without activation, then you can probably sell it. (Disclaimer: please do triple check before doing what I did to make sure that your contract won't incur any penalties for deactivation! It seems to have worked for me, but ... who knows ... maybe the fine print in our contracts differs.)

2. verakot

verakot Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just got the Droid. From what I see there is no way to skip activation and thus use it without data plan... I will try to google if somebody has done this already.

#74 verakot, Nov 25, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  3. verakot

verakot Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I found out how to skip activation: On the activation screen, you need to press once on each corner starting from upper left clockwise (4 times total). This will skip activation and allow you to use all feature of the Droid.

#75 verakot, Nov 29, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  4. dodgemaniac

dodgemaniac Member

Ratings:
    +0
    quick question. i have the envtouch now and do alot of texting. i want to get a droid and i know i will have to pay for the data but does data include texting? or will i have to have the $10 text and pix charge on top of the $30 for data?

5. thelion

thelion Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Data does not include texting. It should. But it does not.

6. khelek

khelek Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Your data plan does *not* include texting....I think if you go through the steps of ordering a phone through the verizonwireless.com site, you can see the various costs for the text plans.

However, if you have Google Voice, you can work around this very nicely. GV allows you to send and receive SMS for free. However, it does not allow you to send to multiple people at the same time, and you can't send MMS (pix/video). You can send text to one person at a time. For most people, that's good enough. Also, it won't work with some services that send SMS notifications (redbox comes to mind).

If you get a Droid and have GV and decide to use that for SMS, be sure to turn OFF SMS forwarding in your GV settings. Otherwise, you end up getting your GV messages through VZ's messaging, and if you don't have a texting plan, well.....you'll be in for an ugly surprise come bill time.

7. clsperka

clsperka New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I signed up for a Verizon account and purchased a Droid , used it for three weeks, then decided to return the phone. My account was cancelled, no ETF was charged, and my number was ported back to AT&T. However they never asked for the phone back. I now own a motorola Droid for the bargain basement price of $200.
    Using the work same work around Verakot posted I bypassed the activation screen and the phone works just as it did when I was a Verizon customer with the exception of being able to make phone calls. With a wifi connection I have been able to... access the web, access the android market place, use gmail, and use google voice for texting. The GPS seems to work though I haven't used turn by turn navigation yet. My next goal is to load Sipdroid and use Sipgate to make Voip calls from the phone. Hopefully if Google rolls out their own VoIP service I'll be golden. Like the original poster hinted at, I have a awesome Android version of the Ipod Touch.

8. deputc26

deputc26 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    OK reading the first few pages of this was very frustrating...

YOU CAN USE THE DROID WITHOUT A DATA PLAN I AM DOING IT RIGHT NOW.

You do not have to "unlock" it or root it or point it toward mecca and pray to it you just have to buy it outright (got mine on eBay for $465 Nov. 10th) and get a new plan online or wherever by supplying your MEID which is a number in the battery compartment.

OK, calming down :D

err I hope you didn't arrive at this conclusion in one of the two pages I didn't read and I hope no VZW people see this and decide to lock everyone out so they can take more money from people.

9. takeshi

takeshi Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Why should it? Aside from the "everything should be free" argument.

Depends on the carrier and what you intend to do with it.

Unlocking a GSM device only allows you to use another carrier's SIM. It has no effect on any data plan requirement. Did you mean jailbreak?

#81 takeshi, Jan 26, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  10. awake1563

awake1563 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Deputc26.... wait a minute, so you are saying that you are using the droid on verizon's voice network, not using the data connection, and only being charged for the voice plan?

I'm curious as to what plan you are on, and how much it is. I would love to do this, but EVERYONE says that when the verizon network sees the droid specific MEID #, it automatically tacs on the $30/ mo for data. Just want to clarify that you are somehow not getting this charge?

Thanks

11. Fraxinus

Fraxinus Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Couple problems here. First I'm 99.99% sure you can't activate a phone like the Droid without automatically incurring data charges - I would agree that it's tied to the MEID. Simply by activating the phone on Verizon's network they tack it onto your plan. I haven't actually tried this which is why I'm not 100%...

The only reason you can do this on other networks (AT&T, TMobile, etc.) is because a GSM phone uses a SIM card to ID the phone and associate a number to it. Since this card is movable your registration on the network is independent of what phone you use.

The other major issue is that I don't think you can turn data off on this phone. There are only two ways to do this that I'm aware of:
    1. Put the phone in airplane mode - which will allow you to turn on WiFi but means you can't make/recieve phone calls
    2. Open the dialer app and punch in: *#*#4636#*#* to open an options menu. Click Phone Status and then the button labeled "turn radio off". When you do this the entire wireless radio goes off - so no making/receiving calls, just like airplane mode.

WiFi will indeed take over your data functions but it's not 100%. This phone constantly syncs background data so you would first have to set the WiFi sleep to off (meaning even if the phone is on standby it still uses WiFi) and then constantly have WiFi coverage - leave a coverage area and the phone would automatically switch to 3G.

Someone correct me if I've misstated anything but I think that's the long and short of it.

12. verakot

verakot Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You are exactly right. Simply call VZ and they will tell you. They would add a plan once tell them your phone's MEID while activating your Droid.

Untill the guy tells the details, consider his post a hoax.

Search tags for this page
can you have droid without data plan

can you use a droid without a data plan

can you use lg ally without data plan
do droids require a data plan
do you have to have a data plan with a droid verizon
do you have to have a data plan with the droid
do you need a data plan for a droid phone
does the droid incredible need a data plan
does the droid require a data plan
does the droid x require a data plan