Do You Need a Data Plan?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by wuzuprad, Oct 26, 2009.

1. space

space New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No dice

I just spent an hour on the phone with VZW customer service and tech support. Everyone I spoke with claimed that Verizon will not, under any circumstances, allow you to use a PDA phone without a data plan.

Too bad -- it's a neat phone. Not neat enough to justify $360/yr for a data service I usually can't use, though. Off to eBay it goes!

2. p.o.711

p.o.711 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am trying to do the same thing. Use the droid without a data plan. I was told at the verizon store that if i obtained a phone that usually requires a data plan when purchasing through verizon and tried to use it without the data plan, that as soon as connected to the verizon service the monthly data plan charge would be automatically added.
    Has anyone found a way around this?

3. p.o.711

p.o.711 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Isn't there a way to tweak it so that verizon won't know it is a PDA device and instead just a normal phone? Like with the iphone it is possible to use without a data plan by unlocking it! i know verizon doesnt use sim cards like At&t but there must be something similar??

4. garrett

garrett Silver Member
    Theme Developer Developer

Ratings:
    +5

there is no way around it... unless you find a way to clone the esn/meid number as a razr or something. This is extremely illegal and will land you in federal prison with a boyfriend named bubba or tiny.

5. JhankG

JhankG Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    There is no way around the data plan. Plain. And. Simple. The iPod Touch will probably fit your needs better if you can't pay for a data plan. You can play games, watch movies, listen to music, and surf the internet on the Touch without paying for a data plan. If you want a smartphone, you need a data plan.

#53 JhankG, Nov 16, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  6. verakot

verakot Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I called Verizon today because I want the same thing - to have a droid without data plan. I want to buy a Droid on eBay and activate it without data plan. The VZ rep told that even though I bought it elsewhere, the data will be required "in order to activate it". I asked the rep twice and he still confirmed they will figure out that this is a Droid and the plan will be required. Any ideas on how to fight this (going to other provides is not an option)? Thanks!

7. JhankG

JhankG Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    There is no way around the data plan. Plain. And. Simple. The iPod Touch will probably fit your needs better if you can't pay for a data plan. You can play games, watch movies, listen to music, and surf the internet on the Touch without paying for a data plan. If you want a smartphone, you need a data plan.

This reply was ONE post above yours...

8. verakot

verakot Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, the difference with the previous post is that I want to buy the device - Droid - NOT through Verizon, and pay the price in advance. The Verizon sell it for $199 but wants the data plan, and I agree they want to recover the cost and get some profit.

I'm not interested in iPod since it does not support Android 2.0. Can I use the Droid with WiFi as a stand alone device without activating it with VZ (i.e. not using it as a phone)?

9. verakot

verakot Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The Droid tax: Verizon doubles early termination fee to $350

If you thought about canceling a Verizon contract after the first month in order to resell the Droid on eBay, think again.

The Droid tax: Verizon doubles early termination fee to $350 ? Cell Phones & Mobile Device Technology News & Updates | Geek.com

10. space

space New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    On the contrary, this worked just fine. The 2 year contract extension that one signs onto with the "new in two" does not require you to use the new phone or carry a data plan. It only requires you to continue to be a Verizon customer for the next two years. Which I will -- using my old phone.

Meanwhile, I'm about $300 richer from the sale of the Droid, less its original cost and eBay fees. I'm bummed that I no longer have it, as it really is a brilliant phone. But this was a nice consolation prize. :)

11. raqball

raqball New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So you used your new every two to make a whopping $300??? The things people do to make a buck never ceases to amaze me... Now you are stuck with your old phone for 2 years and if you want an upgrade it's gonna cost you more than what you made...

Oh BTW... The whopping $300 comes out to $12.50 cents a month over the 2 year period...

Oh my...........

12. space

space New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, the Internet. :icon_rolleyes:

My old, relatively cheap phone works fine. If it happens to break, I'll get another old, relatively cheap phone. Not all of us need the latest and greatest gadgets. Fun, yes, but not necessary.

And that $12.50 per month effectively knocks 30% off of my monthly VZW bill for the next two years. That's not bad, seeing that I'd been planning to continue as a Verizon customer anyhow. Perhaps you have money to burn in this economy, but do not assume that others do.

In any event, we are now well off-topic. Please send me a private message if you have additional comments.

#60 space, Nov 22, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
Search tags for this page
can you have droid without data plan

can you use a droid without a data plan

can you use lg ally without data plan
do droids require a data plan
do you have to have a data plan with a droid verizon
do you have to have a data plan with the droid
do you need a data plan for a droid phone
does the droid incredible need a data plan
does the droid require a data plan