Droid without data plan?

Reaction score
Well with all the awesome new Android phones coming out I plan on upgrading soon. Can I give my Droid to my girlfriend? She has a VERY small data plan, the one she had to get with the Chocolate Touch. If we activated the phone for her would it work?

She's upgrading to an unlimited plan when she gets a new phone.

I plan on keeping the data very low on her phone by putting BB on it while disables the updates, and only installing apps over WiFi.

Is this possible? Thanks

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Verizon has some tiered data plans now. Give them a call, but you definitely need one. I would think probably the smallest would be 2.5 gb but I really don't know.

OP
skatingrocker17
Reaction score
Verizon has some tiered data plans now. Give them a call, but you definitely need one. I would think probably the smallest would be 2.5 gb but I really don't know.

So if we tried to activate it over the phone it wouldn't work? I think she only has like 25MB.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The smallest smartphone dataplan that verizon offers is 150MB for $15. If you go over then they charge you another $15 for another 150MB.
Like Hook said you have to have a data plan with a smartphone.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App.

1.)http://www.droidforums.net/forum/re...-dummies-guide-android-terminoligy-lingo.html
2.)http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/70875-what-you-need-know-about-rooting.html
3.)http://www.droidforums.net/forum/re...08-multiple-phones-root-them-unroot-them.html

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score

So if we tried to activate it over the phone it wouldn't work? I think she only has like 25MB.

as soon as the droid is activated on her line the system will automatically add the 29.99 data plan to the account.

If you call CS to activate it you can choose from two plans listed below.

1: 150mb per month for 15 dollars
2: unlimited web for 29.99

there is no way around this

jbdow

Reaction score
Hey, guys, Doesn't it seem kinda close on the 150 mb? I used mine as new from
27dec to 2jan and ran up like 66mb- wasn't surfing much at all, and only downloaded
angry birds, i guess my widgets and checking my usage did the rest(i honestly don't
know what all else..) now, from 2jan till now i've used 28mb, and no dl apps or
anything like that. I'm curious to see how much an average month might look- but
i'm expecting it to be close to that 150mb and maybe over if i dl anything at all..

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Use WiFi whenever possible. In fact, turn off the 3G and turn it on and use only in emergencies. Absolutely no problem in not going over then, but you're missing out on half the fun. :) Need instructions on how to turn off the 3G when you don't need it?

jbdow

Reaction score
Exactly. I like the idea and practice of the thing doing whatever it needs to in order to do for me what i want. I'm on unlimited right now and most likely will stay there-
i don't want to miss out...:icon_ banana:

x25064

Reaction score
You will chew and spit out 150mb in less then a week on a droid. My average monthly useage is 5-8 gigs. Get the unlimited and cut back your expenses elsewhere. Its worth it.

estilo

Reaction score
You will chew and spit out 150mb in less then a week on a droid. My average monthly useage is 5-8 gigs. Get the unlimited and cut back your expenses elsewhere. Its worth it.

What if you don't use any apps, and only text/call?

I would like a Droid, and plan to use WiFi for any type of data use.