VERIZON EMPLOYEE PLEASE READ. Android phone without data plan?

corydunbar

Reaction score
this is with hopes that a verizon employee reads this. I have a bunch of Android smartphones sitting around my house, and i was hoping i could get one (droid eris) hooked up for my mom on her current voice plan (without data) and she use it as a regular phone. I know that a sales rep will tell me that it is required to have a minimum of the $15-150MB plan on verizon. Is it possible for a rep. assuming they were super nice and willing to activate it on her current plan without data? Is it at all possible? what if i told them i was willing to pay a per MB price for data usage?

Reaction score
Unfortunately, to my knowledge, it is impossible to even add the phone to the account without some form of data package.

So even if you had the nicest rep in the world, it wouldn't do you any good.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

xmguy

Reaction score
YES! You can. IF you buy a Droid from eBay or such that ALREADY has a number you can then use WiFi.

But if you want to use the phone side without a data plan. NO You CANNOT.

OP
C

corydunbar

Reaction score
Are you a verizon employee? I want to hear it from someone who has seen/used their computers and software to activate a phone. And I want to know if they have the ability to manually activate a device.

DJTaT2

Reaction score
There is a thread made by verizon reps made specifcally for questions like this... look it up and they will answer you.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Are you a verizon employee? I want to hear it from someone who has seen/used their computers and software to activate a phone. And I want to know if they have the ability to manually activate a device.
I worked for VZW in a midwest call center for 2-1/2 years. I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt there is no way possible to trick the system and add an Android or any other smartphone that was introduced by VZW since November 1998, will not be able to be activated without a data plan or data block. It is impossible.

xmguy

Reaction score
I worked for VZW in a midwest call center for 2-1/2 years. I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt there is no way possible to trick the system and add an Android or any other smartphone that was introduced by VZW since November 1998, will not be able to be activated without a data plan or data block. It is impossible.

Well that is TRUE for Android and most modern smartphones. How ever I KNOW there was a time in pre-2007-08 that you could add a smartphone without data. I asked. But that changed and is NO more. ALL SMARTPHONES that are active as a cellphone (for voice) MUST have a data plan. ;)

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Well that is TRUE for Android and most modern smartphones. How ever I KNOW there was a time in pre-2007-08 that you could add a smartphone without data. I asked. But that changed and is NO more. ALL SMARTPHONES that are active as a cellphone (for voice) MUST have a data plan. ;)
Unless something changed recently, any smartphone introduced before November 15, 2008 was able to be PAYG or blocked data.

OP
C

corydunbar

Reaction score
thanks for the input. i was reading into hacking and changing the ESN of the device. is that possible? I know that is what i did when i was on alltel. I hacked a BB storm so alltel thought it was a BB pearl because the storm was exclusive to verizon.

secondly, why doesnt verizon just give the option to block mobile data? T-mobile is able to do it as a simple check box feature "block mobile data". I know that they want to convince people to make the jump to smartphone data plans. but people like my mom (technologically illiterate) will never be making that jump. so they could at least make smartphones wifi only devices so people could try to use smartphones and become tech savvy. their current smartphone sale model doesn't provide the lowest level of entry transition to a smartphone for people like my mother.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
as far as hacking the ESN I'm gonna say a big no (but I may be wrong).
This wouldn't be the forum to discuss such things anyways... just a heads up. We won't allow it.

and for the data blockage... Verizon just wants your money... plain and simple.
Go look in a VZW store these days and see the dismal 4 or maybe 5 phones they have that don't require at least a basic $10 or $15/mo data plan. It's all about the benjamins.

Backdraft

Reaction score
Switch to GSM/SIM Cards and use as much or as little as you want.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's not a fix with all carriers. At&t, for example, requires data plans as well.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
Cell phone plans are getting so insanely expensive. I can get a $50 voip router, use localphone.com for a $.99/month incoming number and have .009/min outgoing calls (free incoming). I pay for what I use, instead of paying for 1400 minutes that I never use. I'm so tempted to drop my $90/month Verizon cell phone with data and just use my Droid on WiFi w/ Sipdroid. It is insane how much we have to pay for "data" and even worse, voice minutes.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Cell phone plans are getting so insanely expensive. I can get a $50 voip router, use localphone.com for a $.99/month incoming number and have .009/min outgoing calls (free incoming). I pay for what I use, instead of paying for 1400 minutes that I never use. I'm so tempted to drop my $90/month Verizon cell phone with data and just use my Droid on WiFi w/ Sipdroid. It is insane how much we have to pay for "data" and even worse, voice minutes.

your more or less paying for the convenience of having an phone/internet where ever you go rather then the actual cost of the services.

sure we could all save some money and just use pay phones/internet cafe's all the time but how convenient is that?