Do You Need a Data Plan?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by wuzuprad, Oct 26, 2009.

1. New2u

New2u Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +83
    it doesn't matter if you get the phone directly from verizon or at&t or anything of the likes. First it would have to be an unlocked version of it... most unlikely to come out quickly (might be wrong). Second off, you would have to get a voice plan somewhere, it doesn't matter where you get it from (verizon, at&t, t-mob, sprint) they all will charge you no matter what, unless you can trick them into not doing it. Because most of the time they have to program is # with their network ID's and other crap. So basically just get the phone through one of the companies, save yourself some money because if you get it unlocked it's mainly for the purpose of putting it on a network that doesn't offer that phone. (i.e., Iphone on verizon) Companies give you a better deal on the phone up front because they get the money of the phone later on with your contract. Which is also the reason why you pay cancellation fee's. (I know they make ALOT more then just the small price of the phone back)

2. wuzuprad

wuzuprad New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for that help. But new2u did you say you could get an unlocked iphone on your verizon plan?

3. New2u

New2u Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +83
    I was merely using it as a for instance, but I do know of people that had bought the iphone and unlocked it, and used it on a different network. I'm not sure if it was verizon or not. I think it was sprint or t-mob

4. danDroid

danDroid Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +463
    Looks like they will require a data plan:

"Customers will need a voice plan starting at $39 and a web and email plan for $29 per month".

5. W3RDSMYTH

W3RDSMYTH New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm an existing customer on Verizon that already has the unlimited data/text plan and a voice plan, so for me it doesn't change my service at all. Actually, my service will get $10 cheaper because I'm currently paying for Verizon's navigator.

6. MrCntry

MrCntry New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have read these posts but didn't see a definite answer. If you are going to purchase this phone and use on the Verizon Network they WILL require you to get a data plan for it. You will not be able to activate this phone with Verizon without a data plan. I asked the same question with my HTC and Blackberry. I confirmed this with Verizon. Their system makes you get a data plan.

7. JohnDroid

JohnDroid Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    That is very disappointing. Thanks for the heads up though!

8. Droid

Droid New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The phone is not for those who can't...

Because Droid Does!

9. Zippster

Zippster Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Data plan was also required when I bought my SCHI730 phone couple years ago which had rebates, funny thing was, the salesman was the one that filled me on ability to cancel data next day and rebate etc still went through..not saying this will work anymore or that this phone would actually even be that usefull without data plan, just saying what I did ;)

10. MrCntry

MrCntry New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have done that in the past before also. But their system now will not let you cancel the data plan as previously done. This is what I thought I was going to do also. The phone I was able to cancel the data plan on was the Voyager I believe.

If they categorize the phone as a smart phone they put it in the sytem and then you have to have a data plan. Verizon - go figure... But still would't switch carriers. I can't complain about their service areas.

11. New2u

New2u Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +83
    I do not exactly know what happened to this huge posting i made about all of this. Lol I know i typed it all out. Either way yes, as of november of 08 they (verizon) required all smart-phones and dumb-phones to have a data plan. It didn't matter whether you used it or not, you had to have it. It was their way of making sure people didn't use data and then b**ch about getting overcharged. Most companies are doing it that way.

12. JohnDroid

JohnDroid Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Just spoke to my good friend who is a Verizon rep and she confirmed. Even if you buy the phone without the contract you will need to get a data plan with it. All smart phones require it, and not just on Verizon but all carriers now.

Sad news for sure.

Search tags for this page
can you have droid without data plan

can you use a droid without a data plan

can you use lg ally without data plan
do droids require a data plan
do you have to have a data plan with a droid verizon
do you have to have a data plan with the droid
do you need a data plan for a droid phone
does the droid incredible need a data plan
does the droid require a data plan
does the droid x require a data plan