Do You Need a Data Plan?

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like they will require a data plan:

"Customers will need a voice plan starting at $39 and a web and email plan for $29 per month".

W3RDSMYTH

Reaction score
I'm an existing customer on Verizon that already has the unlimited data/text plan and a voice plan, so for me it doesn't change my service at all. Actually, my service will get $10 cheaper because I'm currently paying for Verizon's navigator.

MrCntry

Reaction score
I have read these posts but didn't see a definite answer. If you are going to purchase this phone and use on the Verizon Network they WILL require you to get a data plan for it. You will not be able to activate this phone with Verizon without a data plan. I asked the same question with my HTC and Blackberry. I confirmed this with Verizon. Their system makes you get a data plan.

J

JohnDroid

I have read these posts but didn't see a definite answer. If you are going to purchase this phone and use on the Verizon Network they WILL require you to get a data plan for it. You will not be able to activate this phone with Verizon without a data plan. I asked the same question with my HTC and Blackberry. I confirmed this with Verizon. Their system makes you get a data plan.

That is very disappointing. Thanks for the heads up though!

Droid

Reaction score
The phone is not for those who can't...

Because Droid Does!

Zippster

Reaction score
Data plan was also required when I bought my SCHI730 phone couple years ago which had rebates, funny thing was, the salesman was the one that filled me on ability to cancel data next day and rebate etc still went through..not saying this will work anymore or that this phone would actually even be that usefull without data plan, just saying what I did ;)

MrCntry

Reaction score
Data plan was also required when I bought my SCHI730 phone couple years ago which had rebates, funny thing was, the salesman was the one that filled me on ability to cancel data next day and rebate etc still went through..not saying this will work anymore or that this phone would actually even be that usefull without data plan, just saying what I did ;)

I have done that in the past before also. But their system now will not let you cancel the data plan as previously done. This is what I thought I was going to do also. The phone I was able to cancel the data plan on was the Voyager I believe.

If they categorize the phone as a smart phone they put it in the sytem and then you have to have a data plan. Verizon - go figure... But still would't switch carriers. I can't complain about their service areas.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I do not exactly know what happened to this huge posting i made about all of this. Lol I know i typed it all out. Either way yes, as of november of 08 they (verizon) required all smart-phones and dumb-phones to have a data plan. It didn't matter whether you used it or not, you had to have it. It was their way of making sure people didn't use data and then b**ch about getting overcharged. Most companies are doing it that way.

J

JohnDroid

Just spoke to my good friend who is a Verizon rep and she confirmed. Even if you buy the phone without the contract you will need to get a data plan with it. All smart phones require it, and not just on Verizon but all carriers now.

Sad news for sure.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That was the center of a huge discussion that A LOT of users had with verizon. With the availibility of WiFi, a lot argued that they would only use the data when they were connected to the WiFi, and they shouldn't be charged with the cost of having to use a data plan. Verizon's comeback to that was that there are thousands of people each month that have these types of phones and would access data that would show up on their bills without knowing it, and then yell at verizon that they didn't know so they shouldn't have to pay for it. (I think many of the cell phone companies said the same thing)

So now just about any carrier you go with requires data plans for smart phones and BB devices. While I do not agree 100% with the choice that verizon has made, i can at least understand where they are coming from with this one.

RayPaganJr

Reaction score
It is what it is. If carriers are going to charge, we have no choice but to pay their monthly fee. But I still feel that what they are charging is a bit steep. Is $30 a month justified? I don't know the answer to that yet. It's not like I have to conduct business like this. To me it is an accommodation, a convenience. To others it will be well worth the price if it saves time and trouble for them.

Geez, it's still today. PATIENCE!!!

Poley

Reaction score
I have the XV6700 series smartphone and it costs me $49.99 a month for unlimited data on top of the phone plan. Do we know if its the same pricing with Droid?

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have the XV6700 series smartphone and it costs me $49.99 a month for unlimited data on top of the phone plan. Do we know if its the same pricing with Droid?

Yes it's going to be a requirement. though it should only be $30 a month for it. the same as BB on VZW. :welcome: to the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Yes it's going to be a requirement. though it should only be $30 a month for it. the same as BB on VZW. :welcome: to the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

confirmed on the $30