Do I just have bad luck, or are all Droids crap?

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
When you buy a car, it has fuel injection, catalytic converters, transmission, engine, radio....none of which do I know how they work, and no one expects me to know how they work. For some reason people seem to think that Motorola and Verizon can market this phone, and when it performs poorly I am supposed to be able to diagnose the problem myself and have "patience" with it. The dealer (Verizon) is utterly clueless.

I don't get it. I read a good many of the posts here and there seems to be a lot of people who think it is acceptable to have issues with the phone and do things like turning it on and off, rooting it, resetting the CPU, etc. etc. all with the idea of trying to figure out how the stupid thing works.

I don't want to know how it works, I just want it to do what it is supposed to do.

There is a whole company with an entire product line just for people like you, can't remember what it's called... has some sort of fruit with a bite taken out of it as the icon/logo...dancedroid and if you really have no idea how any of those things work than I hope you take your car ONLY to the dealer where you bought it because in case you don't know ONLY DEALERS can really work on your car and fix it correctly. And WHATEVER you do don't EVER think about putting in an aftermarket radio, a non dealer air-filter or aftermarket muffler/exhaust on your car... remember your car is perfect just the way it came off the line and never needs anything done to it....

And yes it is acceptable to take a first (or early second) generation product (like Android) and tinker with it to make it better. Again if you want something 'proven' go with the pos products from the above company or similar (BlackBerry) that have been around for 4 times longer and leave the rest of us to our tinkering.

oapb

Reaction score
Well I stopped in to the store I have been going to for years and spoke with the manager. He told me that he would love to put me in something else but since Verizon changed their policies on FRU exchanges, he can only offer me what has already been offered. Kinda sucks but not surprised. He also said that with taking a peek at my phone he can be pretty sure that Ive atleast rooted/oc'd my phones in the past, but he said he has done the same thing so he didnt care. He told me that if Im going to root again that I need to experiment with different kernels because most of my software issues may be cleared up with one that works for my phone. He told me to come back when Ive got a little money and he will hook me up with a larger credit towards a new phone and not have it count against my new-every-2 contract. He was cool and was trying to work with me. Thats one of the reasons I love that store. Best employees and managers who are always willing to help out. I may sell this replacement droid and go back and get something else but we'll see how this replacement works

oapb

Reaction score
thanks. BTW where are you in NY? I too can smell maple syrup

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
About two hours north of Syracuse in Saint Lawrence County.

I don't know what the store manager meant by a new kernel solving your issues, though. :) The stock kernel in 2.2 does basically everything we needed custom kernels in 2.1 to do. ;)

oapb

Reaction score
Not sure, he said with overclocking and different voltages, it can cause issues like ive had. I made sure to explain to him that my current phone and the 2 previous have not been touched and are completely stock and still having the issues. Maybe this new one will work for me, Maybe i just had to go through a couple rotten ones. I do however believe all of my phones have been 1st or 2nd batch phones which Ive heard have more problems. Anyways, my replacement comes tomorrow so hopefully i will be in the clear

Reason I asked where you were from is because I live in Buffalo and for some reason alot of people I talk to from anywhere else thinks Buffalo is "upstate" . BTW we are having another wonderful start to winter. Ive got around 42" of snow already and we are having another band hit us tonight and tomorrow. expecting another 6"-12" haha

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Most people think anywhere north of the City is upstate. Heck, up here we call the Southern Tier "upstate" and those of us hardy enough to survive north of Syracuse Northern New York. :) I live right at the tip of the lake effect band, but I still get nailed, and I have to shovel my field out of my driveway all winter.

Yeah, the voltage and speed problem can cause issues, but as you said, the last two were straight stock.

Well, let's see what we can do if you need anything!

oapb

Reaction score
Most people think anywhere north of the City is upstate. Heck, up here we call the Southern Tier "upstate" and those of us hardy enough to survive north of Syracuse Northern New York. :) I live right at the tip of the lake effect band, but I still get nailed, and I have to shovel my field out of my driveway all winter.

Yeah, the voltage and speed problem can cause issues, but as you said, the last two were straight stock.

Well, let's see what we can do if you need anything!

Haha thanks. Ill see what this new phone is like. If I dont sell it, it will prolly get rooted again. If im going to have problems atleast I will have software I like :) I think whoever decided it would be smart to settle between 2 large bodies of water was a genius. I do love snow though so its not that bad. And hardy enough to survive north of 'cuse? I think I could manage :)

oapb

Reaction score
update #2. got my replacement in the mail with the frame around the keyboard popping off, the keyboard loose and sliding around and a nice large scratch across the flash on the back. Called vzw and a tech supervisor put me in a droid2 with a free extended battery and cover. Hopefully this new one works. So things are looking good for now

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
That's why I was suggesting you call tech support as well as going to the store. :) The phone people have more pull than the store managers when it comes to these things.

Here's hoping the 2 does you better than the D1.

longtaddy

Reaction score
And yes it is acceptable to take a first (or early second) generation product (like Android) and tinker with it to make it better. Again if you want something 'proven' go with the pos products from the above company or similar (BlackBerry) that have been around for 4 times longer and leave the rest of us to our tinkering.

Maybe I'll just do that! Thanks for the suggestion. It is not all the apps that have me dissatisfied, it is the fact that the Droid no longer performs as it did and the dealer (Verizon) is clueless.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Before this erupts further into a flame war I wish to make two points:

1: Flaming will get you banned here. Don't do it.

2: No matter the purchase, walk into the store knowing more than the people trying to sell it to you, otherwise you'll get screwed. Lots of people bought their Droid X because the rep promised them it would be LTE-capable with a software upgrade. How many people have been taken advantage of by 'honest' car salespeople?

If your device no longer performs as it did then maybe we can help.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Sad but true unfortunately! Luckily, there are still reps like me out there though! :)

Before this erupts further into a flame war I wish to make two points:

1: Flaming will get you banned here. Don't do it.

2: No matter the purchase, walk into the store knowing more than the people trying to sell it to you, otherwise you'll get screwed. Lots of people bought their Droid X because the rep promised them it would be LTE-capable with a software upgrade. How many people have been taken advantage of by 'honest' car salespeople?

If your device no longer performs as it did then maybe we can help.

DroidForums junkie!!

oapb

Reaction score
That's why I was suggesting you call tech support as well as going to the store. :) The phone people have more pull than the store managers when it comes to these things.

Here's hoping the 2 does you better than the D1.

I actually had spoken with 5 different techs and 2 supervisors since friday. I guess it took my replacement to be broken for them to listen to what i had to say. Oh well, Im happy for the moment

Bullitt6996

Reaction score
Yes. Get rid of any task killers that may be on the phone because they all drain battery. Turn off WiFi if you're not using it. Use WiFi whenever possible. Turn Sync and background data off. Kill any antivirus app you may have running. Turn GPS off.

And Verizon Wireless employees are almost all clueless. Comes from a lack of training. Take a deep breath and work with us and we may be able to keep your phone from becoming a Blackberry. :)

Very well put, Verizon Customer Service reps are simply that. There is a reason there is management staff that you can request on the phone, and 9 times out of 10, get your issue resolved. I myself handle my girlfriend's Droid woes with big red because I know how to handle these issues.

The bottom line is that you're the customer, they provide you with a service and a product, when either of those cause problems, they are ethically and contractually bound to assist. When the Customer Service reps don't satisfy the problem or give you the run around, request a supervisor, it may take a few minutes, but it's worth it. That's why my girlfriend is getting a D2 Global to replace her Droid X after only one replacement. dancedroid