Asurion insurance = CRAP!

Algae998

Reaction score
I apologize in advance, Im about to rant and complain about BAD service.

Basically, Ive had my phone just past a year and my 1 year manufacture's warranty just ended 2-3 weeks ago. Of course, all the issues start after the warranty ends. (Do they strategically plan this or something??) I bought the extended warranty coverage, thinking since the D2 is a computer it would be a good idea. Well, now after having a boot loop, wifi stopped working, 3G sometimes works and crap battery life, I try to get it fixed or replaced through Verizon. But of course its out of the 1 year warranty and I have to call Asurion, the 3rd party company that handles insurance after the 1 year manufacture warranty.
After painstakingly navigating annoying automated menus for 20 minutes I finally get a REAL person on the line only to find out, oh sorry, we only cover lost, stolen or physical damages to the phone, not electrical/software issues, youll have to take that up with Verizon/Motorola. On top of that, even if they DID send me a phone, it wouldnt be new, itd be someone's garbage refurbished phone.
To think they charge monthly fees for this crap and dont hold up their end is just ridiculous.

When you sign and buy these contracts, they really need to include a complimentary bottle of lube, because in the end, theyre just going to screw you.

Ahh, I feel a bit better now. :p

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
I would call assurion back, that doesn't sound right. I have it also, but never used it. Chances are, if you complain enough you will get a replacement. It sounds like you talked to someone who had no idea what they were talking about. Now, when I had to replace my D2, which was under warranty, vzw sent me d2g. I'm betting if you call again, and talk to someone else, you will get a different result.

Have you tried a factory reset on the phone at all?

Big Dawg 23

Reaction score
I apologize in advance, Im about to rant and complain about BAD service.

Basically, Ive had my phone just past a year and my 1 year manufacture's warranty just ended 2-3 weeks ago. Of course, all the issues start after the warranty ends. (Do they strategically plan this or something??) I bought the extended warranty coverage, thinking since the D2 is a computer it would be a good idea. Well, now after having a boot loop, wifi stopped working, 3G sometimes works and crap battery life, I try to get it fixed or replaced through Verizon. But of course its out of the 1 year warranty and I have to call Asurion, the 3rd party company that handles insurance after the 1 year manufacture warranty.
After painstakingly navigating annoying automated menus for 20 minutes I finally get a REAL person on the line only to find out, oh sorry, we only cover lost, stolen or physical damages to the phone, not electrical/software issues, youll have to take that up with Verizon/Motorola. On top of that, even if they DID send me a phone, it wouldnt be new, itd be someone's garbage refurbished phone.
To think they charge monthly fees for this crap and dont hold up their end is just ridiculous.

When you sign and buy these contracts, they really need to include a complimentary bottle of lube, because in the end, theyre just going to screw you.

Ahh, I feel a bit better now. :p

Help clear something up.

You say bought extended warranty? Via VZW? Are you paying the $7.99 or what ever it is now per month? I ask because under Premium Handset Coverage your Manufacture Warranty extends to two years.

Did you root the phone? Even if you didn't find the SBF and search for boot loop fix. My original Droid Boot looped and there is a way to access the menu to force a factory SBF.

Now, option two call in and deal with VZW. Talk very nicely about what is happening. They should work with you. You can also try a store. As for what they send, I agree it is a complete joke. I don't want someone former crap. You could always weight cost options on paying a deductible and suddenly your phone takes a drink in the water.

Edit: Try this http://androidforums.com/droid-all-things-root/196213-how-fix-boot-loop.html

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm curious, why does insurance owe you a new phone, when you're sending in a used phone? You've paid ~$10 /month, plus a $100 deductible, which doesn't even come close to purchasing a new D2.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
I think Asurion states pretty clearly what they cover. They are like car insurance. Crash your car. Call the insurance company. The transmission doesn't shift right, call the manufacturer. If the car is out of warrantee you call a mechanic. You wouldn't call your insurance company to fix your transmission. But.... If the transmission slipped out of gear, and the car went to the bottom of a lake, you are back to the insurance company

siriusgamer

Reaction score
So, what your saying is, trash the phone and get a new one from asurion?
Sounds like a solid plan... if I still had it.

Jonas

Reaction score
I have never had that issue. I boot looped 2 droids due to not reading up on how to root, and one cost me $40 to get that certified bull, and the other was free since I chewed the sales rep out for canceling my insurance without notification because my mothers phone service is tied into the plan I use, and there was a verison caused mix up. I did not pay for the second one, and got a brand new box from the sales rep in 2 minutes. I hate to say it, but with verizon, you gotta be a bit rough, or they won't even take you seriously.

As for asurion, my personal favorite is wait for a rain storm, and let your phone take a swim in the tub or sink, and say you got caught in a storm. Has actually worked for me.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have never had that issue. I boot looped 2 droids due to not reading up on how to root, and one cost me $40 to get that certified bull, and the other was free since I chewed the sales rep out for canceling my insurance without notification because my mothers phone service is tied into the plan I use, and there was a verison caused mix up. I did not pay for the second one, and got a brand new box from the sales rep in 2 minutes. I hate to say it, but with verizon, you gotta be a bit rough, or they won't even take you seriously.

As for asurion, my personal favorite is wait for a rain storm, and let your phone take a swim in the tub or sink, and say you got caught in a storm. Has actually worked for me.

That's called insurance fraud.

Jonas

Reaction score
While that may be true, I have been paying verizon for near on 6 years for service. I think for the massive amounts of money I have given them, they can spare me a phone. But that's just me. I am a wee bit selfish to be honest.

tattedupboy

Reaction score
While that may be true, I have been paying verizon for near on 6 years for service. I think for the massive amounts of money I have given them, they can spare me a phone. But that's just me. I am a wee bit selfish to be honest.

That doesn't justify committing fraud though.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
The way I would handle it, is if they refuse to replace the phone, tell them fine. you will contact the better business bureau, your local tv stations (Consumer Protection Dept) most have and that you would post your negative experience with them on the forums you are on that utilize their service. More than likely, they would rather just replace the phone than deal with bad publicity.

jdiddy5637

Reaction score
Agreed

Asurion is absolute garbage. Everytime I have dealt with them I get a tingly feeling all over me. I recently upgraded to the Razr. It wasnt by choice. My touch screen stopped working on a phone I received from Asurion a month prior. Apparently I wasnt convincing enough that the phone stopped working on its own and they flat accussed me of dropping it. I tried to claim it on the insurance which since I had already claimed two phones in a year time period it was cut off the month prior. End result is I had to buy a new phone. I bought the phone at Best Buy so that I could take advantage of their insurance instead. Ive seen good reviews on it and it seems alot better to me. Its two bucks more per month but there is no deductible. Also, if you break your phone you just go there instead of waiting for two days or whatever amount of time it takes. I have four phones on my plan so as soon as the other ones are available for an upgrade I will buy them from Best Buy as well. Ive emailed Verizon to let them know that they lost that sale of the phone. Hopefully if enough people bash Asurion to Verizon they will get rid of them.

BTW, if you crash your car you call YOUR insurance company not the insurance company forced upon you by the manufacturer or dealer.

RUSHgsxr

Reaction score
That doesn't justify committing fraud though.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Who are you mother Teresa? Insurance companies screw you whenever they possibly can. You pay in for years and years to them, and when it comes time for them to pay up they always try weaseling out of it. I work with them on a daily basis, and I've seen some ridiculous crap. Asurion is no different.

To me, paying them monthly for years and years, and 'accidentally' dropping your phone is more than justified after all the nonsense they put people through. Especially when they're just going to send you someone else's garbage anyways.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums