Insurance Plan

kilo

Reaction score
Hey all. I just activated the insurance plan on my Droid. I am paying 7.99/mo for the lost/stolen/damaged plus extended manufacturers warranty. I am not completely sold on the coverage yet though. I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with the insurance service, good or bad to share. Or maybe just your thoughts. I am sort of torn because the regular plan for $6/mo covers lost/stolen/damaged, and from my understanding the extended manufacturers warranty doesnt start until after the year. So technically I am paying the extra 2$/mo for the first year not getting any benefits until the year is up, right? Or am I missing some sort of logic there. Any thoughts / corrections are appreciated.

RinTinTigger

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Hey,

all insurances ive seen so far for smartphones just where either verry expenive,
or you just dont get your device back full, if something happens.

I strongly reccomend a long google on that desired Insurance AND READ the details!!!!

Tigg

L0ST3489

Reaction score
I am contemplating insurance as well, if something happens I don't want a refurb either.

Droidlicous

Reaction score
Yeah but $96 a year isn't bad compared to $600. I am pretty rough on phones so its a good deal for me. Yeah you might get a refurb but nothing is wrong with that. It's a refurb "like new"

Reaction score
get it! Promise you if you have this phone still in two years you will have to get a new one for one reason or another. just my two cents.

Reaction score
Yeah but $96 a year isn't bad compared to $600. I am pretty rough on phones so its a good deal for me. Yeah you might get a refurb but nothing is wrong with that. It's a refurb "like new"

agree. my friend went through 3 LG Dares paying full price for them because he washed them in his pants (im sure its happened to plenty of people) so when he did it the last time, it was 5 days until the droid was released so he just waited but got insurance this time!!!

OP
K

kilo

Reaction score
Chances are if you are having your phone replaced, it's in a non workable condition enough that you wont be able to tell it is rooted (ie wont power on etc). Accidental damage like dropping or spilling water on it is covered, I dont see why it wouldnt be covered still. And if it isn't? You slam it off a wall and get a new one saying you dropped it and it broke. If I am paying $8 a month you better believe I'm getting at least a few replacements out of it.

travis134

Reaction score
Chances are if you are having your phone replaced, it's in a non workable condition enough that you wont be able to tell it is rooted (ie wont power on etc). Accidental damage like dropping or spilling water on it is covered, I dont see why it wouldnt be covered still. And if it isn't? You slam it off a wall and get a new one saying you dropped it and it broke. If I am paying $8 a month you better believe I'm getting at least a few replacements out of it.

Ahahahaaa! That's quite brilliant :)

KungFuGeek

Reaction score
State farm personal articles policy costs me $2.50 / month, and covers not only my droid, but my laptop and wifes DSLR camera, and I have 0 deductable. (this is on top of my renters insurance)

If my phone gets damaged stolen, it will take a few days up to maybe a week and half to get a check for the replacement costs in the mail, but I can always go out and use my own money to replace my phone next day, and then reimburse myself with the insurance check when it comes in.

A bonus from having the hassle of spending my own cash up front is that I can replace my phone with whatever the latest and greatest android phone is, instead of getting a refurb droid back to me.

KungFuGeek

Reaction score
If I am paying $8 a month you better believe I'm getting at least a few replacements out of it.

Actually I believe you are limited to 2 claims per 12 month period, and there is a deductable of i think 80 bux each time. (if you are going to the verizon insurance that is)

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I assume that rooting your droid voids the insurance?

Rooting does Void the Warranty...

Not sure if it affects the Insurance...

Last edited:

Laurence5905

Reaction score
If I am paying $8 a month you better believe I'm getting at least a few replacements out of it.

Actually I believe you are limited to 2 claims per 12 month period, and there is a deductable of i think 80 bux each time. (if you are going to the verizon insurance that is)

The deductible is $89. And they say they don't cover SD cards, either, which kind of confuses me, because the Droid came with an SD card from the manufacturer -- so just to be safe, if you ever do get a replacement, take the SD card out of your existing phone and keep it 'till you get the new phone.

Reaction score
State farm personal articles policy costs me $2.50 / month, and covers not only my droid, but my laptop and wifes DSLR camera, and I have 0 deductable. (this is on top of my renters insurance)

If my phone gets damaged stolen, it will take a few days up to maybe a week and half to get a check for the replacement costs in the mail, but I can always go out and use my own money to replace my phone next day, and then reimburse myself with the insurance check when it comes in.

A bonus from having the hassle of spending my own cash up front is that I can replace my phone with whatever the latest and greatest android phone is, instead of getting a refurb droid back to me.

I wouldnt NOT do this! You will get your phone replaced then right before your house burns down (God forbid) they will drop you and you wont be able to get home owners insurance.

Just my two cents buts its real. I would save the home owners for the real deal if it should ever come your way and I hope it doesnt!

Laurence5905

Reaction score
The personal-articles policy is a "rider" on your existing homeowners/renters insurance -- claims you make under it are treated separately from a "real" homeowners/renters insurance claim... They're not gonna drop you for a $650 phone...