Insurance Plan

jayb

Reaction score
I got lucky on my Ins. cost............they grandfathered me in at 5.99/month and only a 50.00 deductible.

I used the Ins. once on my LG Voyager Titanium ...........I recommend getting it.

zdroid

Reaction score
I had to HTC smartphones replaced in a year. One was lost and the other had a cracked screen. The phones were replaced no questions asked via next day FedEx. That is well worth to me.

Reaction score
The personal-articles policy is a "rider" on your existing homeowners/renters insurance -- claims you make under it are treated separately from a "real" homeowners/renters insurance claim... They're not gonna drop you for a $650 phone...

Keep claiming things!! You will see!!

extr3m3

Reaction score
I got lucky on my Ins. cost............they grandfathered me in at 5.99/month and only a 50.00 deductible.

I used the Ins. once on my LG Voyager Titanium ...........I recommend getting it.

Where did you sign up?

jayb

Reaction score
I am in Springfield , MO. they have only been here a little over a year.

johfiner

Reaction score
State farm personal articles policy costs me $2.50 / month, and covers not only my droid, but my laptop and wifes DSLR camera, and I have 0 deductable. (this is on top of my renters insurance)

If my phone gets damaged stolen, it will take a few days up to maybe a week and half to get a check for the replacement costs in the mail, but I can always go out and use my own money to replace my phone next day, and then reimburse myself with the insurance check when it comes in.

A bonus from having the hassle of spending my own cash up front is that I can replace my phone with whatever the latest and greatest android phone is, instead of getting a refurb droid back to me.

I'm not sure how State Farm works, but a lot of insurance companies don't reimburse items at full price. Keep that in mind!

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I'm not sure how State Farm works, but a lot of insurance companies don't reimburse items at full price. Keep that in mind!

Been with State Farm for over 25 yrs...They don't pay full price...

FireDroid

Reaction score
$5.99 with $50.00 deductable, grandfathered.

Have it for my kids, my son took his phone, which we got free when we got ours, and took it for a swim. They had no problem replacing it but had to pay the deductable which sucked because we intially got it for free! I figure It is worth having if I bust my $200 phone. It will suck getting a refurb but that is the way most of these small insurance things are going nowadays.

Last edited:

prowakeskater

Reaction score
Im an Agent for VZW, and I can tell you guys that if you are paying for $8 insurance, youre paying an additional $2 than necessary. Grandfathered or not, the $6 insurance is available for ALL droid owners. The extra 2 bucks extends the warranty another year.

KungFuGeek

Reaction score
State farm does pay full price if you make sure that your policy is for replacement value, and not depreciated value.

If I lose or damage my phone ill get six hundred back from state farm.

Where you Don get full price back is when you do not have a personal articles policy and you have to pay a five hundred dollar deductible or if you cheaped out and your policy only covers the depreciated value.

Really you guys should just call up your insurance and ask for info about it. Asking is free.

NickWgnr

Reaction score
Previously with my Voyager I had to replace it 5 times. 1 was manufacturer issue and 1 was my bad so $50 down the drain... Now here is the kicker. So I pay $50 for a "new" phone aka they send you a refurb. The colors bled on the inside screen, sent back, got another. That one had buttons that stuck and eventually stopped working, got another. And finally got one and 4 days into it the screen would go insane and shut on and off for as long as it wanted then start to work. Sent it in and got another right before I got the DROID (Thank God!)... So insurance is cool and all but the refurb phones you get as your "new" replacement suck in my opinion. I hope the insurance for the DROID is better. I picked it up too because even if I get a crap one its still cheaper than $500.

Wagner :motdroidvert:

tex

Reaction score
$6 vs $8/month insurance

Im an Agent for VZW, and I can tell you guys that if you are paying for $8 insurance, youre paying an additional $2 than necessary. Grandfathered or not, the $6 insurance is available for ALL droid owners. The extra 2 bucks extends the warranty another year.

So are you saying that it's not worth extending the warranty another year? Could you pay 6/mth for the first yr then jump up to 8/mth to get that second year?

Laurence5905

Reaction score

So are you saying that it's not worth extending the warranty another year? Could you pay 6/mth for the first yr then jump up to 8/mth to get that second year?

To my knowledge, you have to buy the insurance policy within the first 30 days of owning the phone. And there's no "changing" your policy once you have the policy. You can cancel it, of course, but you can't change the policy you have. Again -- this is to the best of my knowledge, and I don't work for Verizon or Asurion.

I chose to buy the $6-per-month policy. I'll pay that for the option of getting a replacement Droid if I ever damage the one I've got... But I don't do extended manufacturer's warranties on any electronics that I buy. If a piece of electronic equipment with no moving parts is gonna die, it's gonna happen earlier rather than later. If it had a hard-drive with moving parts, say, then that might be different. But electronics generally die early or they don't die at all.

magnus

Reaction score
State farm does pay full price if you make sure that your policy is for replacement value, and not depreciated value.

If I lose or damage my phone ill get six hundred back from state farm.

Where you Don get full price back is when you do not have a personal articles policy and you have to pay a five hundred dollar deductible or if you cheaped out and your policy only covers the depreciated value.

Really you guys should just call up your insurance and ask for info about it. Asking is free.

I tried forever to get State farm to add my Droid to a personal articles policy...But that they have a new policy about not insuring cell phones. (Pfff......the droid is hardly a cell phone!!)....But try as I might I just could not get them to add it.

So now...I broke down and went Asurion

But State farm seemed like a great idea.....just would not work for me
:(

eliassami5

Reaction score
Previously with my Voyager I had to replace it 5 times. 1 was manufacturer issue and 1 was my bad so $50 down the drain... Now here is the kicker. So I pay $50 for a "new" phone aka they send you a refurb. The colors bled on the inside screen, sent back, got another. That one had buttons that stuck and eventually stopped working, got another. And finally got one and 4 days into it the screen would go insane and shut on and off for as long as it wanted then start to work. Sent it in and got another right before I got the DROID (Thank God!)... So insurance is cool and all but the refurb phones you get as your "new" replacement suck in my opinion. I hope the insurance for the DROID is better. I picked it up too because even if I get a crap one its still cheaper than $500.

Wagner :motdroidvert:

My sister has had to replace her LG env2 like 5 times and the referbs were well...like new. No defects and worked fine. The insurance is more than worth it and would never buy a smartphone without it. People complain about refurbs but yet have never had to file a claim with asurion..its easy as pie and you basically get a brand new phone.