Do I just have bad luck, or are all Droids crap?

Discussion in 'Droid Stock Help' started by superduty4x4, Dec 10, 2010.

1. superduty4x4

superduty4x4 New Member

I bought my phone in August and it was great until the 2.2 update. After multiple battery pulls and factory data resets it was mostly behaving until Tuesday when an old issue resurfaced. I called Verizon and ended up getting a replacement phone which showed up yesterday. Right out of the box this phone is having problems too. Its really irritating to spend quite a few bucks on a phone and having all these problems. I guess I get to call Verizon AGAIN...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  2. oapb

oapb New Member

Im with you. Im on my 5th phone and both verizon and motorola refuse to exchange it for anything other than another a855. I was told that I qualify for my 1 year upgrade so if I want something else I can buy it.
  3. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    superduty4x4, what is this new issue?

oapb, what's the current issue? If you really need a replacement then accept it and if it's not working very well keep asking to speak to people higher up on the food chain till you get satisfaction, and try both the store and phone support.
  4. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Yes it kind of be easier to help you fix your issue if we knew what it was.
  5. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

Nothing worse than people complaining about 'issues' and not giving examples... makes it sound more like user error than anything with the phone(s). Either be specific and give examples or don't waste the time postings and go back to your precise iPhone or whatever device you are obviously vying for.

There are a few people that have claimed to be through multiple phones but personally I have to lean towards user error... I have an original Droid, several friends have original Droids, several others have various other Droid models (Inc., X) and none of us (out of over 30 people) have had any issues that would deem the phones 'defective.' A few hiccups with the OS or, as is more often the case bad apps from the market or other resource conflicts but nothing to justify returns. Sorry but I just have a hard time believing anyone can go through multiple headsets with 'legitimate' hardware (or software) issues that aren't in some way traceable back to something they are doing. There is a steep learning curve to Android that many don't seem able to cope with... for these people don't worry, iPhone will be coming to VZW soon enough... People need to also remember/consider Android is still in its 'infancy' compared to its competitors so it still has a ways to go so be patient... or you can opt for one of the new WinM phones or a 'tried and true' BB device.
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  6. oapb

oapb New Member

my issues are Random restarts, loose headphone jack causing music pausing, EXTREME home screen lag(sometimes it takes up to a minute for my apps to pop up) and a 5 hour battery life while phone is idle or very minimal use. I cannot get through a day at work without having to throw the phone on the charger on lunch break. I work at a place that is very strict on cell use during our shifts so the use is very minimal. Ive done multiple battery pulls as well as factory resets. The last 3 phones have not been rooted. I also let the phones sit for an hour after the resets and let them sync. Also have not reinstalled any apps after resets and problems persist. I got offered a credit towards a new phone if I want to upgrade early but do not have money at the moment and also would like to wait for the "T2" phone I keep hearing about. Ive got another refurb on the way so I guess we will see what happens with this one.
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  7. furbearingmammal

The loose headphone jack is a replaceable fault. You should get a replacement for that alone. The rest sound like software issues that we might be able to talk you through. :) Hopefully the new refurb will work for you -- but if it doesn't, start talking your way up the food chain to see about getting an upgrade.
  8. oapb

oapb New Member

Yea, all 5 of my droids have had the loose headphone jack. Its funny because I rooted the first 2 and had no real issues I could blame on the roms. These last 3 I decided not to root and they have had the software problems. Ive called and talked to 4 different vzw reps, getting the furthest with the last one. He offered me a new refurb droid or Offered me a $50 credit as well as early upgrade. I just dont have the money to upgrade or else I would. The droidx and the fascinate look nice

How would you go about talking someone through the software issues I named? The vzw tech mentioned no fix for that. Unless you are talking about rooting again
  9. kingsway8605

kingsway8605 New Member

I currently have an open complaint with the BBB against Verizon for not acknowledging the loose headphone jack design flaw on the motodroid 1. I suggest you all do the same. I am on my 5th phone for the loose headphone jack and Verizon refuses to acknowledge that it is not the case of defective hardware but instead the case of a design flaw. They said nobody is reporting it as an issue.

10. oapb

oapb New Member

shouldnt you complain against motorola and not verizon? verizon didnt make the droid, they just sell them
  11. furbearingmammal

The home screen lag is caused by FroYo killing the launcher. There's a very easy fix for non-rooted users. Install ADW from the market and make it the default launcher. In the ADWLaucher settings you can make it system persistent. It may not solve your problems 100% but it will cut them down amazingly.

Are you running any widgets? If so, what?
  12. zenman77

zenman77 New Member

I've never experienced a loose headphone jack.....

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
  13. kingsway8605

kingsway8605 New Member

Common misconception. In the United States, with a few exceptions (iphone for instance), you are buying the phone from the carrier not the manufacturer. Motorola's customer is Verizon, Verizon's customer is the end-user. For instance, Samsung publicly said they were against Bing on their Galaxy S phones, but they still did the Bing search on the Fascinate because Verizon, their customer, told them to.

14. kingsway8605

kingsway8605 New Member

It is caused by carrying the droid in your pocket while listening to music. If you do this, it WILL develop the loose headphone jack eventually.

15. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

Loose headphone jack is a well known (and well documented) issue both on the VZW and Moto forums. Nothing you can do with that, though it should take come time to develop (it has to do with the way the jack is 'connected' to the board (it's not actually soldered to the board, as it should be). As for the random restarts that is a bit odd for a non-rooted (read non-OC'd) stock Droid, now if it was one of the 3 that was rooted than that's a kernel issue and NOT a 'device' issue. As for the battery drain you have something installed or some setting (perhaps wi-fi) that is draining the battery while in standby. Again not really a 'hardware' issue but something on the user-end. My phone lasts from ~5am to 1am daily with heavy email use and moderate voice use (and I'm still on the originally battery, of course I have profiles set and tweaked). Homescreen lag is on the boarder, it's a known issue with 2.2 ROMs and the stock/default home-screen is about the WORST out there. Combined with the battery drain issue it sounds like something in the background is wasting cycles when it shouldn't be. Again not really hardware issues. Be sure you're not using ANY task-killers and do a clean factory reset and w/o installing ANYTHING see what the battery life and overall performance is like for a day or two (of course that won't fix the jack issue).
  16. oapb

oapb New Member

I will try adw. I havent got any widgets running on this phone. After the last factory reset I left the phone completely stock and only used it for light internet, texting and phone. Issue continued.

I understand we get the phone from verizon. What I was getting at is if you are filing a complaint about a faulty product you should complain against the manufacturer not someone selling the product. Should verizon get motorola to fix this problem? yea prolly but is the faulty design/product verizons fault? No

I never have headphones plugged in while phone is in my pocket. I only use the headphone jack while in the car and the phone is in a verizon car mount

Wifi is off and no apps are installed that arent on the phone from the factory. I thought it was possibly one of my apps but after the last 2 factory resets I did not install any apps. Ive got no task killers either. Phone has been completely stock for a month, problems still exist
  17. furbearingmammal

Good luck with ADW. I can point you at the right setting if you don't want to dig (there's a lot you can do).

Are you running the latest baseband? Unfortunately you have to be rooted to update it if not. Actually, I think most FRG22D installs included the updated baseband, so that's kinda pointless of me to have asked -- but I want to be thorough.

Are you getting e-mail on the phone at all? If so that might be part of the problem. It sounds like one of your antennas is broadcasting -- which if you're in a bad signal area and trying to get e-mail or something like that will really kill you because of the number of times it syncs.
  18. oapb

oapb New Member

baseband C_01.43.01P. I only have gmail. Sometimes it receives the emails, sometimes I have to manually refresh/sync to get the emails.

I sent an email to my regional president. Maybe he will be able to help me out a bit. Im pretty tired of the droid. Since I havent had a rooted phone in 5 months, I dont think I will mind a blur skin phone. I actually wouldnt mind any phone that works as it should

edit: also this phone is has the 2.2.1 software and build is frg83d
  19. furbearingmammal

It updated before or after it started screwing up?

I can understand the frustration with the phone. :)
  20. longtaddy

longtaddy New Member

For a While I was impressed

I am not impressed any more. The damn phone won't keep a charge for more than 12 hours with MINIMAL use.

I've had the Droid 1 since April. For a while everything was cool. Emails and contacts would sync. Gmail worked. Calendar sync worked. I could make calls, the sound was good quality. AND...it kept a charge for at least 24 hours, sometimes 48 hours consistently.

Two weeks ago that all changed. I have tried everything. App Killer. replacing the battery, managing which apps were running...last but not least, the phone was replaced on Saturday. New phone....same problem. New battery....same problem. At one point before I replaced the original phone, the battery drained from a complete full charge to completely out of juice and shut itself down in less than 5 hours with no use of the phone at all! I am exasperated! I am not a techie, don't want to be a techie, I just want the phone to work as advertised without having to be close to a charger all the time. For me, the constant worry about whether I will have enough juice to make a call is a deal killer. If it won't keep a charge for 24 hours....I am done with it.

If there is anyone out there with some ideas that don't involve "rooting" (whatever that is) I am all ears. And why are the Verizon Wireless people so clueless??? My next step is to go to Verizon and demand that they switch me out to a Blackberry.
Search tags for this page

why droids are bad