Disadvantages To Rooting the phone.

pierced_droid

Reaction score
I have the phone 72 hrs and didn't know what root meant until yesterday. This is a work in process.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

It took me 2 days to build up enough courage to root my phone, another 3 to install a rom. Been constantly changing something ever since, been an android user for about 2weeks now:)

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Took me ummm.. less then 30 seconds order phone Friday got phone on a Monday 10:15 am 10:30 rooted lol I don't even think I activated first

Sent from my etcha-sketch

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I rooted, threw on the Fission ROM, and have no trouble at all. My battery life has increased two-fold, and I don't have to worry about any bloatware, unless I install it.

I thought my phone was bricked at one point, but had to SBF the bootloader, then SBF back to stock, and I was fine.

Also, take more caution if you don't have insurance.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would still do the long way. A little more understanding can be had about things.

Check the 1st two links in my signature.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I would still do the long way. A little more understanding can be had about things.

Why, when z4root can do it for you in a matter of seconds?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
So you have a better understanding of what's being done. If things start going wrong, that extra knowledge can go a LONG way!

DroidForums junkie!

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So you have a better understanding of what's being done. If things start going wrong, that extra knowledge can go a LONG way!

DroidForums junkie!

Personally, I gained nothing from the process. I wish z4root was around the first time I rooted.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79

DroidForums junkie!

Personally, I gained nothing from the process. I wish z4root was around the first time I rooted.

Doing it the long way gained many of us the knowledge on how to fix problems. If you know what's going on you can fix it when things go south. One-click rooting is nice and all, and if need be I would use it in the future, but sometimes you need to get your hands dirty for the sake of learning. But to each their own.

Sent from somewhere...

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Exactly! I'd use it in the future too most likely. In fact, I'm planning on doing so with my gf's D2!

DroidForums junkie!

Doing it the long way gained many of us the knowledge on how to fix problems. If you know what's going on you can fix it when things go south. One-click rooting is nice and all, and if need be I would use it in the future, but sometimes you need to get your hands dirty for the sake of learning. But to each their own.

Sent from somewhere...

DroidForums junkie!

kingpg

Reaction score
I discovered rooting in early june, and it took me about a month to actually attempt it in fear of bricking my phone, until I found out that a program called RSD Lite and an sbf file can literally save you from the worst of problems. I have been rooted for a few months now and let me tell you I've never done so much modding to a phone before like others say its an "addiction" your always gonna be looking for a new update. Drawbacks might you ask? Well for me there is ONLY 1 drawback which is the downtime on your phone for the rooting process :) cheers and happy rooting

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

For many folks the various one step rooting processes work fine. As you can tell from bouncing around the forum for a period of time there are a few that stand threads that stand out where things don't go so well. Learning the manual methods lets you understand more of what is going on and that helps when you get stuck. Of course, even if you don't know what's going on and you get stuck there are plenty of folks here that will lend a hand and get your phone going again.

As to the thread topic, I see no disadvantage to being rooted other than it turning into a hobby that eats up time. The process of rooting though, can and has caused more than a couple some stress when they end up stuck on an M logo instead of a shiny new rom. It tends to work out but it sometimes means what you thought was going to be a 15 minute process turns into a 4 hour one.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Well said!

For many folks the various one step rooting processes work fine. As you can tell from bouncing around the forum for a period of time there are a few that stand threads that stand out where things don't go so well. Learning the manual methods lets you understand more of what is going on and that helps when you get stuck. Of course, even if you don't know what's going on and you get stuck there are plenty of folks here that will lend a hand and get your phone going again.

As to the thread topic, I see no disadvantage to being rooted other than it turning into a hobby that eats up time. The process of rooting though, can and has caused more than a couple some stress when they end up stuck on an M logo instead of a shiny new rom. It tends to work out but it sometimes means what you thought was going to be a 15 minute process turns into a 4 hour one.

DroidForums junkie!