Disadvantages To Rooting the phone.

OP
akosnitzky

akosnitzky

Reaction score
I have the phone 72 hrs and didn't know what root meant until yesterday. This is a work in process.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

Jordan8

Reaction score
I have the phone 72 hrs and didn't know what root meant until yesterday. This is a work in process.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

It took me 2 days to build up enough courage to root my phone, another 3 to install a rom. Been constantly changing something ever since, been an android user for about 2weeks now:)

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
2 days? Took me a month! :p

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I appreciate the feedback thus far. I heard you cant do OTA OS updates?? If correct, I would think that would also be a drawback?????
A custom recovery will block OTA updates. This is a good thing, becase most updates will break root, and patch the exploit used to obtain root. As UltraDroid said, by the time an update is released, the developers have worked it into their ROM's, and usually have had them in a couple updates.
Once you root it will become an obsession though.

brando56894

Reaction score
Cons: you void your warranty while its rooted(warranty can be restored by unrooting), very slim chance of bricking your phone.

Pros: too many to list

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
If you root you won't have a life anymore...

LMAO....true, so true. Like an addict chasing the next mod.

~ DroidForums.net App ~

Yeah, what starts out as a hobby, or an interesting diversion quickly turns into a full blown OBSESSION. Welcome to the club! :)

-Mike

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the feedback thus far. I heard you cant do OTA OS updates?? If correct, I would think that would also be a drawback?????

Even though I'm not rooted yet, I grabbed the Froyo update (full version) from this site and installed it manually. As others have said, there's no drawback there.

To me it's like buying a new car. Some like it stock and others want to customize it. Even then some are content just to add seat covers and others want to install a glass pack exhaust.

Yanks33Jets

Reaction score
OK so I've had my Droid 1 since last November and have been thinking of rooting for over a year but I really don't know what the advantages are, even after reading about it for hours and hours on here...so what exactly are the advantages besides changing the appearance and being able to get rid of unwanted apps that come with the phone? My phone has been very slow and laggy lately, will rooting make it run more smoothly?

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not necessarily.

You can over/underclock, wireless tether etc.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well under is to save battery and over is to make things run nice and quick.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
What is over/underclocking?

That would be the main reason for me to root. This is changing the clock speed of the CPU.

For example, normally the fastest it can go is 600mhz (with 800mhz for Flash). At least that's what the System app tells me. If you overclock, you could set it to run at 1,000mhz, or even 1,200mhz. The phone will run faster, but at the expense of battery life and the risk of burning the CPU out faster. Of course, the CPU will take more than 600mhz, but that keeps it longer. Also, it would be unlikely that the phone would burn out in the time you own it.

Also there are times when you don't want the CPU to run that fast so you underclock it. For rooted phones there is an app called SetCPU that would allow you to do this.

Droidioms

Reaction score
z4root engaged...what's next?

Newb Droid 1 owner here. My phone had 2.2 (FRG22D build) before I downloaded z4root to root phone yesterday...

I am looking for guidance or a list of the next steps to gain access to wireless tether, over / under clocking, etc.