Rooted phone

trtuttle

Reaction score
What are the advantages to a rooted phone? I am not sure that I even understand the term. Please explain. what are the drawbacks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
What are the advantages to a rooted phone? I am not sure that I even understand the term. Please explain. what are the drawbacks.

When you root your phone you are giving yourself what they call "superuser" permissions. In layman speak, you are enabling yourself to make adjustments to settings on the phone that you cannot make if you are stock. It also allows you to run apps that you cannot normally run stock. These apps make adjustments to factory preset settings on your phone or add adjustments to certain functions that are not available in a stock configuration. Just the act of rooting your phone does nothing. It is what you do after rooting. I strongly recommend you take a little time and do some research about rooting. Just google "rooting Android" and you will find tons of information. Many users who haven't taken the time to learn about root often "brick" their phone because they simply didn't know as much as they thought they knew. There is nothing wrong with rooting your phone if you have a good idea of what you want to accomplish, understand the process, know the "do" and "don"t", have the apps you need and know what they are used for, and most important...understand enough to know how to recover when things just didn't go as planned.

Trash Can

Reaction score

If you don't have a thorough understanding of what the term is, don't do it until you do. jpcalhoun explained it fairly well.

The biggest drawback is voiding you warranty if something goes wrong that you can't recover from.