Disadvantages To Rooting the phone.

akosnitzky

Reaction score
After searching I find that many users root their phones which is a new term for this newbie.

What are the drawbacks to rooting the phone? I ask because maybe I need to learn a bit more before considering this.

Thank you.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I haven't rooted yet, but 2 are an increase in battery usage and a potential warranty issue. Also take a look at all of the "I just bricked my phone" or "I rooted, but can't access the Market (or other)" posts. If you do it wrong, it can lead to problems.

That being said, if you read, read and read about rooting and follow all the steps correctly you'll probably wonder why you didn't root sooner. I'm sure it'll be that way for me. ;)

Jordan8

Reaction score
The only disadvantages I can think of is if you happen to do something wrong you could brick your phone. Just be sure you follow a guide step for step. Another would be rooting technically voids your warranty.. you can unroot as easy as you rooted though.

I have no regrets rooting my phone & I am a new android user.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
People get stuck, or something goes wrong from time to time but I've only seen maybe 4 Droids that really were "bricked." If you can turn it on, you are not truly bricked.

The ones that were truly bricked were developers working on a new ROM and one of our Rescue Squad guys did it. I think with these extravagant processes that we have to go through now to root a phone there are definitely more chances of something going wrong. Which is why I didn't root until z4Root was developed.

bigjonmoo73

Reaction score
The only ones I have heard of is that it can void your warranty for your phone. But, like Jordan said, you can unroot it just as easily. The possibilities are endless when you root your phone! My gf has an unrooted droid and to me it just seems boring.

shmoo

Reaction score
Hook you rooted again!? Welcome back to the darkside! Lol

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Reaction score
The advantages outweigh the disadvantages, in my opinion.

With such a large rooting community, if you run into problems, some one can help you.

Before installing a custom rom, read what others have posted about that rom and there may be fixes.

It takes time, but research and communication go a long way. Also, battery life can be increased or decreased depending on how you set your phone up and how you use it.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I see you have a Droid Pro - so the disadvantages to rooting can be great, if you were talking about the Original Droid specifically I would say - No Disadvantages - even the "voiding your warranty" can be solved by flashing the sbf to stock - now with these newer devices things can get more technical, although there is a work around for (almost) everything - the owners of the Droid 2 Global who are delving into the world of hacking without a proper sbf are finding themselves stuck when something goes horribly wrong - whether or not the sbf for the DroidPro has been released or not, I am not sure

Eddog4DROID

Reaction score
The disadvantage is that you will obsessively feel like changing things up (just because you can) after you have declared that your phone is "just how you want it".

But seriously, I am not a phone genius by any means and I don't know how it is possible to brick your phone. Just learn to make backups before you do anything and prepare to spend 10 bucks on SetCPU, Titanium Backup and perhaps ROM Manager.

OP
akosnitzky

akosnitzky

Reaction score
I appreciate the feedback thus far. I heard you cant do OTA OS updates?? If correct, I would think that would also be a drawback?????

Jordan8

Reaction score
I appreciate the feedback thus far. I heard you cant do OTA OS updates?? If correct, I would think that would also be a drawback?????

I'm pretty sure you can get OTA updates if you're rooted. You can't get them if you install a custom rom though.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Erebus671

Reaction score
OTA stands for "Over-the-Air" it is a fairly new service that was used by google to distribute the android operating system updates, rather than downloading the patch and a special program onto your computer, then using a USB connection to update, the phone will merely update using your data services,which was good for me because I didn't have internet when my phone's update came out.

Sent from my Milestone using DroidForums App

billyidle

Reaction score
OTA updates will be a downgrade when you're running a nice custom ROM. Also, whoever said rooting hurts battery life, um, not quite. Especially when you can downclock your processor when your screen is off, etc.
I have yet to find a drawback to rooting and running custom ROMS.

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock

Usually, by the time Verizon feels like releasing an OTA update, all of the cool features have been leaked, copied and integrated into the various custom roms. The actual OTA release is usually greeted with yawns and "So what - been there/done that". No, I wouldn't worry about OTA releases, once you root. :)

-Mike

dbst

Reaction score
If you root you won't have a life anymore...