Did Froyo Live up To Its Hype? Are You Satisfied?

OP
gregsjh13

gregsjh13

Reaction score
I'm loving it over 2.1, Its in beta so it's missing things that you could do and have on a 2.1 rom but final build has been released. I'm loving the speed increase, it might not seem like much but haveing a quick, responsive, snappy phone makes it so much more enjoyable. Java is great, I can easily go to a streaming video site, open it up, wait 5 minutes, and watch a movie or tv show with no problems, no downloading and putting it on my sd card. I also like chrome-to-phone, which might not seem like a big deal but save me some time alot when I have to run out or needing to pull a map or something up on my phone. Overall I think it's great have used 3 different versions and finally settle on Bugless 0.1 which im getting 20 linpacks on! More than I could on any 2.1 rom! I think once more things become available like themes and thing for 2.2 and the final build comes out more people will probably find it much more enjoyable.

2.2 is very enjoyable.I find myself using Flash 10.1 frequently and its a great addition.Apple really messed that up because Android will excel with that added feature.The Speed increase is great and i have to agree with what you said.But one question what is Chrome to PHone? lol

Abadus

Reaction score
Even though 2.2 is still in the early stages, the sheer speed alone makes it great. The 3G speed is comparable to using wifi. If you are rooted, you must give this a shot.

The automatic update from the market place is a great feature as well. Wifi tehtering is good, but it is something that I had from the custom 2.1 roms.

My Browser seems Slower for some reason.And i love you Automatic Update feature.Its very useful.

If you installed flash make sure it is on the on demand setting. It takes time to load and update those flash adds :p This seemed to help me a lot.

razorseal

Reaction score
If you installed flash make sure it is on the on demand setting. It takes time to load and update those flash adds :p This seemed to help me a lot.

and where is that option? how do I get to it?

bmxmike

Reaction score
Ok chrome to phone explination:

First you need the Chrome Browser on your computer.
Then you need to install the chrome to phone extension on you comp
Then install chrome to phone apk on your phone.

Ok now basically say your on your desktop and your looking at web page and leave but still need to look at it. Well you hit a button on the broswer and it pushes where your at to your phone. It launches the broswer and maps automatically. So you could also be searching for a address and then push the map to your phone. Opens up possibilities for down the line for some cool cloud computing stuff to go from a desktop to mobile and vice versa seamleassly

Also couldn't find the on demand is it in the default browser

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Chrome to phone also works in Firefox on the PC. U need the FF extension. I been using it in FF since the second leak.

Am I satisfied? I have stated this before: Its Froyo or bust for me from here on out. I am seriously thinking about getting rid of my 2.1 ROM's and most of my 2.1 backups.

I tried a few custom Froyo ROMs, they were nice, but I went back the the orig second leak. Thats what I'm on now. Thats how good Froyo is. For real, the first leak was nice too, but u can tell the difference between the 2, plus some apps got fixed on the 2nd leak.

I only wanted Flash to see if one site worked: radiotime.com. It does, and I dont need Flash for anything else. lol The only time Flash ever gave me problems was with Hulu, audio was out of sync.

The speed increase alone make Froyo live up to the hype. I didnt expect that. Benchmarks is one thing, but everyday use? wow. Folks that have problems, all I can say is different phones, different users, different results. But I feel the majority of us feel Froyo was a success.

Imagine when its Final, no more beta.....

Last edited:

ljprevo

Reaction score
I am keeping my 2.1 unroot and root backups just in case there is an issue upgrading the 2.2.

I am very happy with 2.2 so far.

WoZzY

The GRD Dev Team
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I believe the Onix RoM Runs the smoothest & also runs the Best by far with lots of less Bugs than other froyo Roms & also is Very stable

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I think Froyo is a pretty spectacular update for the speed alone.

1) Heard we have bluetooth dialing now. Haven't tested that, but that was a big weakness Hopefully the final product sees that, along with additional voice controls

2) Flash is nice. Going to be a big deal.

3) Apps2sd I haven't figured out the benefit yet. Sure, I can move stuff to sd from Titanium, but unless your phone was stuffed with apps I don't see the advantage. To me the issue is still RAM, and we need a program to utilize some SD space for virtual ram. Thought this was what Droidswap does, but haven't seen that working anywhere on Froyo.

4) Related to above, it does seem to manage the ram a bit better (my monster Sweeterhome theme is now running flawlessly). However, seems like some apps and processes are still hanging and not being killed. I guess if I'm not getting any errors it's working as it should, just seems like when you add more stuff it's going to be a problem.

5) Wireless tether. Haven't played with it, but niiiiiccceeee!

6) My WiFi and 3G are fubarred. I can live with it until the geniuses here figure it out because my call quality seem to be fine. Whoever said they are getting 3G speeds at WiFi speeds I WANT THEIR PHONE!!! I'm getting about half the 3G speeds I used to (1-1.2 mpgs, when I'm lucky, vs. 2-2.5mgps before) and same for WiFi (3.5-4.0 or so vs. 6-8).

The rest of the stuff like vibrate and browser downloads I can live with. Still primarily use my phone for email and calls and occasional light browsing and no real issues.

On a scale of 1-10, this upgrade looks to be a solid 7 for me (I mean, really, how can an upgrade be a "10" unless it was complete doo-doo before?). IMO, this update is very close to giving us a phone that does 95% of what 95% of people need.

The only remaining sticking point that comes to mind is better exchange integration. If Android phones are going to seriously dent BB's market share they have to get better at email. It works for me, but that's because I'm using K9 and then PureMessenger to integrate Gmail and Exchange, and I still need stock email so I can integrate my calendars. That sort of "work around" won't fly for businesses.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I like the small tweaks done to it, messaging, email, call log, sometimes it's the little things that improve an experience.

I too never thought it would be mind blowing.

I'm running it without a theme right now.

The thing already brought up is you have people who were running OC'd custom roms who go to this and try it with new roms, encounter issues, then slam the OS for it.

Wait until the final release, and roms built off of that before entering judgement, anything else is just speculation based upon a incomplete build.

I m also hoping that wi fi makes it into it, however I'll live if not by adding it.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
I like the small tweaks done to it, messaging, email, call log, sometimes it's the little things that improve an experience.

I too never thought it would be mind blowing.

I'm running it without a theme right now.

The thing already brought up is you have people who were running OC'd custom roms who go to this and try it with new roms, encounter issues, then slam the OS for it.

Wait until the final release, and roms built off of that before entering judgement, anything else is just speculation based upon a incomplete build.

I m also hoping that wi fi makes it into it, however I'll live if not by adding it.
So true sometimes the little details is what makes for a better experience lol. I definitely like all the little changes they did to the stock apps. But absolutely adore the performance increase I get.

Sent from my Tapatalk using Droid

razorseal

Reaction score
I found the on demand thing, but it doesn't work properly... like I selected it, went to aol.com and it doesn't seem to load the flash content. you have to like press on the stuff to 'turn on' flash. not sure if that's how I want flash to run.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hard to say with out a final product to judge......

Agreed; it has made some nice steps forward but in general it is not complete and feels that way. nice improvements, allot of new little bugs... We will see what the final rendition comes out to be like.

Bugs? What bugs?

I have yet to see a perfect OS. My Macs Snow Leopard is the best I've ever used but its not perfect. If it was I wouldn't have got 3 updates. And if Droid were perfect it wouldn't have got two updates.

I've never used the custom ROMs other then Droidmod so I can't give a comparison but froyo overclocked at 1 ghz simply is the best I've seen on a smart phone. And who knows? Maybe there is another leak waiting?

Its just gonna get better. :)

Well ya never know when that will happen:icon_ devil: