Did Froyo Live up To Its Hype? Are You Satisfied?

OP
gregsjh13

gregsjh13

Reaction score
I think Froyo is a pretty spectacular update for the speed alone.

1) Heard we have bluetooth dialing now. Haven't tested that, but that was a big weakness Hopefully the final product sees that, along with additional voice controls

2) Flash is nice. Going to be a big deal.

3) Apps2sd I haven't figured out the benefit yet. Sure, I can move stuff to sd from Titanium, but unless your phone was stuffed with apps I don't see the advantage. To me the issue is still RAM, and we need a program to utilize some SD space for virtual ram. Thought this was what Droidswap does, but haven't seen that working anywhere on Froyo.

4) Related to above, it does seem to manage the ram a bit better (my monster Sweeterhome theme is now running flawlessly). However, seems like some apps and processes are still hanging and not being killed. I guess if I'm not getting any errors it's working as it should, just seems like when you add more stuff it's going to be a problem.

5) Wireless tether. Haven't played with it, but niiiiiccceeee!

6) My WiFi and 3G are fubarred. I can live with it until the geniuses here figure it out because my call quality seem to be fine. Whoever said they are getting 3G speeds at WiFi speeds I WANT THEIR PHONE!!! I'm getting about half the 3G speeds I used to (1-1.2 mpgs, when I'm lucky, vs. 2-2.5mgps before) and same for WiFi (3.5-4.0 or so vs. 6-8).

The rest of the stuff like vibrate and browser downloads I can live with. Still primarily use my phone for email and calls and occasional light browsing and no real issues.

On a scale of 1-10, this upgrade looks to be a solid 7 for me (I mean, really, how can an upgrade be a "10" unless it was complete doo-doo before?). IMO, this update is very close to giving us a phone that does 95% of what 95% of people need.

The only remaining sticking point that comes to mind is better exchange integration. If Android phones are going to seriously dent BB's market share they have to get better at email. It works for me, but that's because I'm using K9 and then PureMessenger to integrate Gmail and Exchange, and I still need stock email so I can integrate my calendars. That sort of "work around" won't fly for businesses.

Very Nice explanation.Very helpful thanks!.

ljprevo

Reaction score
Only thing I am concerned about is it does not seem that they fixed the proximity sensor issue.

OP
gregsjh13

gregsjh13

Reaction score
Well Here's What i think about the update

Flash 10.1 Beta: I understand its still in beta but it tends to be laggy and makes the Browser slower than 2.1

Apps2Sd: Seems like it would work great but the developers have to make some changes to there apps in order for it to be supported.

Jit Speed Boost:This is the second most talked about feature of 2.2 and its amazing how they can Boost a phones speed with just a simple software upgrade.It has taken my Droid to level not seen before.

Market: The market is pretty much complete.It took me about 20 minutes to load all my apps back after i flashed a different rom.But with the Update All feature i can leave and they will download in the background.Amazing!

Wifi Tether: I can only hope this makes it in the final Build but by the looks of it Verizon wont allow it.And it they do there will be a Plan for it.

Battery Life: this one has been bad.Battery life has been horrible ever since i updated to 2.2 And i think thats between the Jit speed boost and Flash 10.1 It eats at the battery alot.This one im disappointed with.

Over All: I give the Froyo 2.2 update a 9! it was an amazing update and included alot of features we have been looking for.Flash 10.1 was a hugh feature that really made Android stand out and also the Jit Speed Boost.

schammy

Reaction score
I'm really impressed with the speed. I just installed the new bugless beast last night on my moto droid and the thing just flies. Flash also works surprisingly well, much better than I think you would ever anticipate. There's lots of other nice touches all over the place but the speed is what really stands out, and it's amazing!

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Only thing I am concerned about is it does not seem that they fixed the proximity sensor issue.

There's a Proximity issue? care to explain im having no problems.

droid proximity sensor - Google Search

I was having issues yesterday when talking with my wife.

i dont think this will ever really be addressed because its such a small issues. i just tried to find the page on the motorola forums about it but something like less then .5% of droids actually have this issue.

im sure if it were a more widespread issue it would be looked into a little more.

personally if this is a recurring problem i would look into getting a new phone from verizon.

OP
gregsjh13

gregsjh13

Reaction score
There's a Proximity issue? care to explain im having no problems.

droid proximity sensor - Google Search

I was having issues yesterday when talking with my wife.

i dont think this will ever really be addressed because its such a small issues. i just tried to find the page on the motorola forums about it but something like less then .5% of droids actually have this issue.

im sure if it were a more widespread issue it would be looked into a little more.

personally if this is a recurring problem i would look into getting a new phone from verizon.

Im glad to say ive never had that problem.At least i dont think i have.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Apps2Sd: Seems like it would work great but the developers have to make some changes to there apps in order for it to be supported.

Will someone please explain what I am missing? People keep saying developers need to support it, but I have no trouble moving non-system apps to sd with Titanium. I realize you can't do that from the stock app manager, but Titanium makes it irrelevant.

Now, it doesn't seem to have any real effect (closed apps on my SD still show as active apps in ram on occasion), so is that what is meant by not being supported? Is this supposed to act like a sort of virtual ram extension or something?

OP
gregsjh13

gregsjh13

Reaction score

Will someone please explain what I am missing? People keep saying developers need to support it, but I have no trouble moving non-system apps to sd with Titanium. I realize you can't do that from the stock app manager, but Titanium makes it irrelevant.

Now, it doesn't seem to have any real effect (closed apps on my SD still show as active apps in ram on occasion), so is that what is meant by not being supported? Is this supposed to act like a sort of virtual ram extension or something?

If the apps support it now that means the Developer updated the App with i believe the 2.2 Sdk.I may be wrong though.

cj1896

Reaction score
Am I the only one that finds this to be less fast? I am trying to run a lwp and it isn't as fast as Bugless 1.1. It is pretty snappy with a standard wallpaper though and I love the browser speed.

OP
gregsjh13

gregsjh13

Reaction score
Am I the only one that finds this to be less fast? I am trying to run a lwp and it isn't as fast as Bugless 1.1. It is pretty snappy with a standard wallpaper though and I love the browser speed.

Remember this is beta.2.2's source code hasnt even been released.

Technoman

Reaction score
My thoughts.... from someone who was STOCK non-rooted prior to this.

Update provided a lot of changes in the look and responsiveness of my Driod (even prior to adding overclocking)

Once overclocked, it was like I had a brand new phone.

BT dialing works, but WTF did they do to the volume level? I can barely hear the phone telling me the command information. Also, it seems to have some recognition issues that I never have with the Google voice search and navigation.

I had market problems (fixed easily with the update).

The one big thing I hope gets addressed in the final release is the sensitivity of the TS in Landscape mode. I turned on the pin lock function, and when in landscape it enters double, triple, and sometimes quadruple entries when I press a key. This never happens in portrait mode.

Last thing I would like to see is for us to be able to add and remove the icons showing in CAR MODE.... there are blank panels, but you can't add to them?

Haven't added any theme's, and after reading of the issues that people are having with them I will likely hold off.

The radio updates did improve speed for me, but it seems so intermittent. One speed test shows great speed and the next on the same server will show horrid results. You need to perform several tests and average your results.

EDIT: Oh yeah.... YEAH FOR FLASH!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
If the apps support it now that means the Developer updated the App with i believe the 2.2 Sdk.I may be wrong though.

But what does "update the App" mean? As said repeatedly, you CAN move apps to SD with Titanium and it works. But my question is what exactly is supposed to work? Is there supposed to be some additional ram/memory mgmt benefit I'm not seeing? My understanding is all apps2sd really does is free-up physical program memory, which for most people without a ton of apps or some huge games that have plenty of free space probably won't see any benefit from apps2sd.

I know if I move Pandora, for example, the widget disappears from my widgets list, but I can still launch the program and it plays fine. It is DEFINITELY on my SD card. Non-system programs with no widgets appear to work just fine.

FYI, I just discovered that if you are using Titanium to move cards to SD, it puts them in a higher level folder /mnt/asec. So if you copy you sdcard to computer to back-up, as I frequently do, you LOSE those sdcard backups. So you'll have to manually copy the asec folder to sdcard directory and, I'm guessing, re-paste if you ever do a format SD like I did.

Last edited:
Reaction score
After having Froyo for a few days (Bugless Beast v0.1)...I have to say this is the fastest my Droid has ever been (overclocked 1.1GHz). I was running a CyanogenMod rom before this (also overclocked to 1.1GHz)...and there's really no comparison. I'm getting Linpack numbers that are double what I was getting on 2.1. If you want fast...try 2.2. It's also so much more stable than I ever expected. I havent had any force close issues at all.