Changing boot animation

Garbagedogup

Reaction score
Is it possible yet? And if so, how about changing the sound too. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

jason6g

Reaction score
Yes it is possible, here is a link to the one I am currently using. I made this for an old galaxy style rom I had because I wanted a simple, light weight boot animation.

http://db.tt/vwPWWxm

To break down the whole thunderbolt bootanimation, first know where everything is located. I use root explorer, but whatever method you choose, navigate to /system/customize/resource and you will see a crap load of files. Flick all the way to the bottom as there are two that we are interested.

VZW_Airwaves_1.mp3
VZW_bootanimation.zip

The mp3 is the sound to the bootanimation, and the zip is the animation itself. If you simply want to change the sound, simply rename any mp3 to VZW_Airwaves_1.mp3 and replace. Nice and simple. If you simply want to replace the bootanimation, rename any bootanimation.zip to VZW_bootanimation.zip and replace. If you want to replace the bootanimation AND sound, then you need to modify the vzw_bootanimation.zip so that the sound still gets called up.

If you would like any further information regarding bootanimations feel free to shoot me a message or post here as I spent A LOT of time over the past while tinkering =)

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Yes it is possible, here is a link to the one I am currently using. I made this for an old galaxy style rom I had because I wanted a simple, light weight boot animation.

http://db.tt/vwPWWxm

To break down the whole thunderbolt bootanimation, first know where everything is located. I use root explorer, but whatever method you choose, navigate to /system/customize/resource and you will see a crap load of files. Flick all the way to the bottom as there are two that we are interested.

VZW_Airwaves_1.mp3
VZW_bootanimation.zip

The mp3 is the sound to the bootanimation, and the zip is the animation itself. If you simply want to change the sound, simply rename any mp3 to VZW_Airwaves_1.mp3 and replace. Nice and simple. If you simply want to replace the bootanimation, rename any bootanimation.zip to VZW_bootanimation.zip and replace. If you want to replace the bootanimation AND sound, then you need to modify the vzw_bootanimation.zip so that the sound still gets called up.

If you would like any further information regarding bootanimations feel free to shoot me a message or post here as I spent A LOT of time over the past while tinkering =)

Thanks for this info!

This thread has been Thunder struck!!

Reaction score
Hmm... I may have to play with it. I am envisioning a snippet of AC/DC's "Thunderstruck" and who knows what for the boot animation.

What about the storm clouds that follows the boot animation? Any ideas on that file?

Ryukashin

Reaction score
I am using root explorer but it won't let me do anything to the files in that directory because they're read only. how do i change this?

Nevermind apparently it root access has failed because su failed with the following message: FIX ME! inplement ttyname() bionic/libc/bionic/stubs.c:360

Last edited:

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I am using root explorer but it won't let me do anything to the files in that directory because they're read only. how do i change this?

Nevermind apparently it root access has failed because su failed with the following message: FIX ME! inplement ttyname() bionic/libc/bionic/stubs.c:360

Where'd you get SuperUser?

Ryukashin

Reaction score

Where'd you get SuperUser?

It appeared after i rooted

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Go get the one from the market. There's a patch too but I'll have to look for it.

Ryukashin

Reaction score
Ok so I figured out that it is just root explorer that doesn't work for me, used another app, deleted the VZW_bootanimation in the system/customize/resources menu, added the boot animation I wanted and added VZW_ to the name (so its VZW_bootanimation.zip), rebooted and got the same standard boot animation.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Are the permissions correct in the zip?

Ryukashin

Reaction score
ummmm........ lol I have no idea, I got the zip from the UOT kitchen file I made. when I flashed it it loaded the file into the directory as bootanimation.zip so i just renamed it after i deleted the original. How would I check this?

Since the original is no longer in that directory shouldn't there be no boot animation if the new zip doesn't work?