1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Carriers Love Android... Why?

Discussion in 'Android News' started by WenWM, Sep 28, 2010.

1. WenWM

WenWM Premium Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

Thats the question CBSNews tried to answer, and I think they hit it right on the nail. This all starts out with At&t getting the iPhone and allegedly Verizon denying it (thank god right?). This meant everyone else had to find something to keep their smart phone line relevant, and that was where Android flew in to save the day.

The OS was awesome, fast, free and available to any company who was up for the challenge. Google's involvement made it better because as we all know... Most of what they do, turn to gold.

Now aren't we glad Verizon did not want the iPhone?
  2. enyalius

enyalius New Member

I'm actually starting to regret that Verizon got Android :/

It's both a blessing and a curse that Android is open source. I'm kind of getting tired of seeing the "new sexiness" that comes out on Big Red only to find that they have screwed around with the defaults, settings, etc so much that the phone is rendered a buggy, useless lump of plastic and metal.

I honestly can't bring myself to upgrade from my Droid 1, despite the fact that I am eligible for an upgrade right now and there are some cool looking phones. The Samsung Fascinate is the beginning of a very scary trend that looks like will be continued with the upcoming HTC Lexicon handset. We'll see, I guess...
  3. jack902902

jack902902 New Member

You are right there, however, this may be more of a plus to the consumer.

With such a vast market open now, Android VS. iPhone, things will only get better; competition forces opposite sides to work harder.

So, the window of opportunity opens wider, and the possibilities expand farther!

:greendroid::reddroid::blackdroid::reddroid::greendroid:
  4. VideoGameMatt

VideoGameMatt New Member

Google really does need to make a Nexus Two that is available on EVERY carrier. I would gladly buy an unsubsidized phone from google if it meant immediate updates and being a true stock android experience.
  5. Stang68

Stang68 New Member

I wholeheartedly second that. We really need a Nexus 2 that Verizon will sell for all the hardcore Android geeks out there.
  6. manhatton

manhatton New Member

Exactly.

Interesting bit about Google's top heads referring to the carriers in that manner. The recently posted video of the CEO being interviewed lead me to believe he was being more than politically neutral about letting the carriers do what they want. Hopefully he's right and the market will dictate the carriers include a "bloatware opt-out".
  7. bryanthecomputerguy

bryanthecomputerguy New Member

We may need Android Decrapifier in the future.
  8. flighinhigh

flighinhigh New Member

If Verizon has several failures in the current and coming phones with BING and crapware, they may get a clue that we the consumer knows what we want and if they can not fill the bill they may have poor phone sales with BING.
  9. chaz.ring

chaz.ring New Member

I agree..... I hate bing, and not only for the obvious reasons, like decision making that it horribly does, but also because I can't help but feel as though its being forced upon us. I just did my last updates on my laptop and didn't have time to go through and decide on everthing I wanted to update, so I let it go with the recomended route....and what do ya know freakin BING tool bar....spent another 30min. getting rid of that waste of existince off my computer.
  10. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    There IS an Android Decrapifier -- It's called Root Access and the best part is it's free. ;)

Seriously, though, I'm getting sick of hearing one thing one day and another the next from Google. They need to grow up and make a stand, either for or against carrier and manufacturer meddling. I think they're actually waiting for Gingerbread to come out because if everything I've been hearing about it is true, it's going to be as much of a game changer as 2.1 and then again when 2.2 finally hit.
  11. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

Google is approaching this correctly from a FOSS standpoint. They have created an OS and released the source. This can then be modified to however the manufacturer of the device sees fit prior to going to market. This allows differentiation. What this will also do is cull off the weak. A perfect example is Sony Ericsson and the Xperia X10 and the low end Moto's that went EOL without an update.

Another example is MotoBlur and Sense UI. Look at MotoBlur on a Backflip and see how horrible it is. Then look at how it has changed on the Droid X and how much less intrusive it is. Look at the progression of Sense from the DInc to the Desire HD. Manufacturers see the writing on the wall with Gingerbread and are doing what they can now to make their custom UIs less intrusive or for that matter widgety and selectable. Don't be surprised if Sense and MotoBlur become highly customizable widgets after Gingerbread goes mainstream.
  12. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    Now that I could get behind. I'm not due for an upgrade for another 15 months, though, so I have the luxury of sitting back and waiting. :)
  13. Cunha

Cunha New Member

I agree that an all carrier 1st party pure google phone would be the best. I wish.
  14. everstar80

everstar80 New Member

I second that. It is not anywhere near advanced enough to be put on android phones and the standards that we already have. And the commercials are pathetic.
  15. add119

add119 New Member

Im in the same boat as i got my droid root for overclocking and guys their an app that allow u to push all apps2sd even adobe flash player. Go to the market search for move2sd enabler. This make me love my droid as now u need root in order for the apps to work. No more low memory for me.
  16. add119

add119 New Member

Like i was saying i love my original Droid now because it has stock android. No offense i like htc, but i dislike their Sense UI widgets and apps launcher. Moto-blur yuck i rather have Vanilla Android ui! I hope Verizon can release us a stock HTC phones by Christmas.
  17. cereal killer

cereal killer Administrator Staff Member

Android is like a nice buttery piece of Prime Rib. Then the carriers and manufacturers get a hold of it and throw mayonnaise, cheese and fried onions all over it because they think it taste better.

If I want a Mickey Mouse UI ill install it otherwise leave Android be : )

Sent from my Droid
  18. TechMan

TechMan New Member

Dude, just root the phone and use a custom ROM. You will NEVER use the VZW update again, I promise you. There are many great Dev teams out there. These are not teenagers in a garage hacking software. They are people with phd's who write these Rom's. There are youtube videos that show how.
  19. Josefius

Josefius New Member

I wish we could choose to be able to use stock Android, I would be happier upgrading in the future.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  20. brianjcohen

brianjcohen New Member

The article author had me until it became clear that he doesn't truly understand why Android exists. Google isn't licensing copies of Android to the carriers, so Google doesn't care if the carriers (like Orange) decide to compile Android themselves from source and roll their own OS. Even if that happened, Google still wins. Why? Because Google sells ads. Not mobile operating systems, not handsets. Advertisements.

So, imagine the carriers band together to "appropriate Android". All they're left with is... Android. Running Android apps that largely deliver ads through Google, search the web with Google, while the consumer using them checks their Gmail.

If the carriers want to beat Google at its own game, they need to launch their own online ad delivery services and make a convincing argument to developers as to why we should use their services instead of Google's. Only then will Android be the OS equivalent of the "dumb ISPs" to which Google and Apple have currently reduced the carriers.
Search tags for this page

android decrapifier

android decrapifier -pc
android decrapper
de crapifier for android
decrapfier for android
decrapifier android
decrapify android
decrapify android phone
decrapify android phones
decrapify my android phone
droid x decrapifier