Carriers Love Android... Why?

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
apple.jpg

Thats the question CBSNews tried to answer, and I think they hit it right on the nail. This all starts out with At&t getting the iPhone and allegedly Verizon denying it (thank god right?). This meant everyone else had to find something to keep their smart phone line relevant, and that was where Android flew in to save the day.

The OS was awesome, fast, free and available to any company who was up for the challenge. Google's involvement made it better because as we all know... Most of what they do, turn to gold.

Carriers get excited about Android, too. For two reasons. First, Android (and the very good bundled Google apps) allows handset makers to make inexpensive devices. Carriers and Google both encourage a race to the bottom where handsets are commoditized, but smart.com

Second, because Android is an Open Source platform, carriers can work with handset makers, they can dictate the feature set and, as a result, revitalize the revenue stream. They can promote their favorite apps, content, and services sales that have been choked by disintermediation.
But it’s not a straight shot. Android lays out the playing field for a contest between Google and carriers.
Google’s intent is clear: They want carriers out of the way. In their Mountain View Hypergalactic HQ, Schmidt, Brin, Page, and Rubin all think carriers are greedy bumblers, short-term thinkers, technically and culturally incompetent in matters of smartphone OS and applications. The Google brilliants don’t want to return to the days of crapware, the applications PC and laptop makers forced upon us in order to generate kickbacks from publishers. (The PC being a lively ecosystem, crapware removal products such as the PC Decrapifier came to the rescue. At one time, Sony obligingly offered a decrapified Vaio for an extra $50.

Now aren't we glad Verizon did not want the iPhone?

enyalius

Reaction score
I'm actually starting to regret that Verizon got Android :/

It's both a blessing and a curse that Android is open source. I'm kind of getting tired of seeing the "new sexiness" that comes out on Big Red only to find that they have screwed around with the defaults, settings, etc so much that the phone is rendered a buggy, useless lump of plastic and metal.

I honestly can't bring myself to upgrade from my Droid 1, despite the fact that I am eligible for an upgrade right now and there are some cool looking phones. The Samsung Fascinate is the beginning of a very scary trend that looks like will be continued with the upcoming HTC Lexicon handset. We'll see, I guess...

jack902902

Reaction score
I'm actually starting to regret that Verizon got Android :/

It's both a blessing and a curse that Android is open source. I'm kind of getting tired of seeing the "new sexiness" that comes out on Big Red only to find that they have screwed around with the defaults, settings, etc so much that the phone is rendered a buggy, useless lump of plastic and metal.

You are right there, however, this may be more of a plus to the consumer.

With such a vast market open now, Android VS. iPhone, things will only get better; competition forces opposite sides to work harder.

So, the window of opportunity opens wider, and the possibilities expand farther!

:greendroid::reddroid::blackdroid::reddroid::greendroid:

VideoGameMatt

Reaction score
Google really does need to make a Nexus Two that is available on EVERY carrier. I would gladly buy an unsubsidized phone from google if it meant immediate updates and being a true stock android experience.

Stang68

Reaction score
Google really does need to make a Nexus Two that is available on EVERY carrier. I would gladly buy an unsubsidized phone from google if it meant immediate updates and being a true stock android experience.

I wholeheartedly second that. We really need a Nexus 2 that Verizon will sell for all the hardcore Android geeks out there.

manhatton

Reaction score
I honestly can't bring myself to upgrade from my Droid 1, despite the fact that I am eligible for an upgrade right now and there are some cool looking phones. The Samsung Fascinate is the beginning of a very scary trend that looks like will be continued with the upcoming HTC Lexicon handset. We'll see, I guess...

Exactly.

Interesting bit about Google's top heads referring to the carriers in that manner. The recently posted video of the CEO being interviewed lead me to believe he was being more than politically neutral about letting the carriers do what they want. Hopefully he's right and the market will dictate the carriers include a "bloatware opt-out".

flighinhigh

Reaction score
If Verizon has several failures in the current and coming phones with BING and crapware, they may get a clue that we the consumer knows what we want and if they can not fill the bill they may have poor phone sales with BING.

chaz.ring

Reaction score
I agree..... I hate bing, and not only for the obvious reasons, like decision making that it horribly does, but also because I can't help but feel as though its being forced upon us. I just did my last updates on my laptop and didn't have time to go through and decide on everthing I wanted to update, so I let it go with the recomended route....and what do ya know freakin BING tool bar....spent another 30min. getting rid of that waste of existince off my computer.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
There IS an Android Decrapifier -- It's called Root Access and the best part is it's free. ;)

Seriously, though, I'm getting sick of hearing one thing one day and another the next from Google. They need to grow up and make a stand, either for or against carrier and manufacturer meddling. I think they're actually waiting for Gingerbread to come out because if everything I've been hearing about it is true, it's going to be as much of a game changer as 2.1 and then again when 2.2 finally hit.

Darkseider

Reaction score
There IS an Android Decrapifier -- It's called Root Access and the best part is it's free. ;)

Seriously, though, I'm getting sick of hearing one thing one day and another the next from Google. They need to grow up and make a stand, either for or against carrier and manufacturer meddling. I think they're actually waiting for Gingerbread to come out because if everything I've been hearing about it is true, it's going to be as much of a game changer as 2.1 and then again when 2.2 finally hit.

Google is approaching this correctly from a FOSS standpoint. They have created an OS and released the source. This can then be modified to however the manufacturer of the device sees fit prior to going to market. This allows differentiation. What this will also do is cull off the weak. A perfect example is Sony Ericsson and the Xperia X10 and the low end Moto's that went EOL without an update.

Another example is MotoBlur and Sense UI. Look at MotoBlur on a Backflip and see how horrible it is. Then look at how it has changed on the Droid X and how much less intrusive it is. Look at the progression of Sense from the DInc to the Desire HD. Manufacturers see the writing on the wall with Gingerbread and are doing what they can now to make their custom UIs less intrusive or for that matter widgety and selectable. Don't be surprised if Sense and MotoBlur become highly customizable widgets after Gingerbread goes mainstream.

Cunha

Reaction score
I agree that an all carrier 1st party pure google phone would be the best. I wish.

everstar80

Reaction score
I agree..... I hate bing, and not only for the obvious reasons, like decision making that it horribly does, but also because I can't help but feel as though its being forced upon us. I just did my last updates on my laptop and didn't have time to go through and decide on everthing I wanted to update, so I let it go with the recomended route....and what do ya know freakin BING tool bar....spent another 30min. getting rid of that waste of existince off my computer.

I second that. It is not anywhere near advanced enough to be put on android phones and the standards that we already have. And the commercials are pathetic.

add119

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
To many look at my signature.
Im in the same boat as i got my droid root for overclocking and guys their an app that allow u to push all apps2sd even adobe flash player. Go to the market search for move2sd enabler. This make me love my droid as now u need root in order for the apps to work. No more low memory for me.