Epic Games is Not Developing for Android Because of the Carriers

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
epic-games-logo_thumb.jpg

In an interview with Tim Sweeney, Epic Games Founder, Gizmodo found out that the reason why Epic is developing for the iOS and not for Android isn't Google's fault or the handset manufacturer's fault. It's the carriers fault. Apparently, Epic's mobile games are so hardware intensive that the 'bloatware' many carriers put on Android phones eats up too much memory to run there games efficiently. Since Apple actually controls that stuff more effectively on the iPhone, Epic Games doesn't have to worry about it as an issue. Here's a quote from Mr. Sweeney,
If you took the underlying NGP hardware and shipped Android on it, you’d find far far less performance on Android. Let’s say you took an NGP phone and made four versions of it. Each one would give you a different amount of memory and performance based on the crap [the carriers] put on their phone. Google needs to be a little more evil. They need to be far more controlling.
It looks like it may be a good thing that Google is cracking down a little bit on the "quality control issues" of fragmentation with Android. Now, they may have to start going after the carriers to stop throwing so much junk on their phones. What do you guys think?

Source: Android.net via AndroidPolice

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I hope that Google gets a little nastier. My NE2 is the end of July and I'm considering just keeping my Droid if the Droid 3 has this garbage on it. My wife will likely just keep her Ally too when she is eligible. I don't want to have to root to get rid of all the garbage that I don't want.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
All I want is castle of the winds. Great tile based rpg from the old Epic Megagames

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I thought Epic was going to develop games that were to run on the Tegra 2 based devices. That's what the write up in the Tegra Zone app said last month. Something along those lines.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Love that quote!! Unremovable CRAP is on our phones!! Dont mind some light being shed on it!

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I hope a lot more developers and customers put a lot more pressure on the carriers to stop this ridiculous practice, it's ruining everything great about Android.

Lucas5

Reaction score
oh hell yeah! preloaded crap needs to stop. heck! it would be even nice if one could opt whether your phone came with the mfg'ers UI (htc sense, motoblur, etc...) or stock android at the time of purchase or online order.

sidsixseven

Reaction score
Yeah the only reason i rooted was to get rid of the bloatware
QFT. I haven't rooted my Thunderbolt yet but this little article just put me over the edge on the "to root or not to root" debate. I think I will wait a bit though (maybe 6 months) for the trailblazer to work out the kinks on the custom ROMs.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd like to see more developers make this same statement... put some pressure on all the 'bloatware' on these devices.

Also hopefully Google's crack down on what goes on the devices helps alleviate some of this as well.

jengas kahn

Reaction score
it gives me a little hope that someone noteworthy is mentioning this.

the way things are right now, it seems like the whole "openness" part of the android platform only applies to the carriers.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say I like the bloatware, but it's had absolutely no effect on my phone. I've ran my phone rooted and overclocked and you can see it's faster that way, but I've always had the bloatware on my phone. Annoying, indeed but beyond that I don't see it.

cj1896

Reaction score
This is part of the reason I am anxiously awaiting the preview of the droid 3. Saw the benchmark results today and it looks promising, but if I see blur, bloatware, and all kind of other garbage there is just no way I could purchase. Heck I would have upgraded early and got an X or D2 if they didn't have all that on it (not to mention the bootloaders). It just reminds me of the HOURS I spend when I buy a new PC to wipe it of the garbage software they put on it, except the average user of a phone won't even be able to do this simple task because it would require root.