Carriers Love Android... Why?

add119

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
To many look at my signature.
Like i was saying i love my original Droid now because it has stock android. No offense i like htc, but i dislike their Sense UI widgets and apps launcher. Moto-blur yuck i rather have Vanilla Android ui! I hope Verizon can release us a stock HTC phones by Christmas.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Android is like a nice buttery piece of Prime Rib. Then the carriers and manufacturers get a hold of it and throw mayonnaise, cheese and fried onions all over it because they think it taste better.

If I want a Mickey Mouse UI ill install it otherwise leave Android be : )

Sent from my Droid

TechMan

Reaction score
Dude, just root the phone and use a custom ROM. You will NEVER use the VZW update again, I promise you. There are many great Dev teams out there. These are not teenagers in a garage hacking software. They are people with phd's who write these Rom's. There are youtube videos that show how.

Josefius

Reaction score
I wish we could choose to be able to use stock Android, I would be happier upgrading in the future.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

brianjcohen

Reaction score
The article author had me until it became clear that he doesn't truly understand why Android exists. Google isn't licensing copies of Android to the carriers, so Google doesn't care if the carriers (like Orange) decide to compile Android themselves from source and roll their own OS. Even if that happened, Google still wins. Why? Because Google sells ads. Not mobile operating systems, not handsets. Advertisements.

So, imagine the carriers band together to "appropriate Android". All they're left with is... Android. Running Android apps that largely deliver ads through Google, search the web with Google, while the consumer using them checks their Gmail.

If the carriers want to beat Google at its own game, they need to launch their own online ad delivery services and make a convincing argument to developers as to why we should use their services instead of Google's. Only then will Android be the OS equivalent of the "dumb ISPs" to which Google and Apple have currently reduced the carriers.