Google's New Android Update Policy Means Slower Updates for Carrier Sold Nexus Devices

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nexus6-press-shot-with-lollipop.jpg

This is a disappointing turn of events, but is probably not too surprising. Google just released their new Android update policy, and it has been revamped to be "friendlier" to the carriers who sell Nexus devices. Unfortunately for fans of Nexus devices, that now means we will likely see slower Android updates if we purchase our Nexus device through a carrier.

Google specifically added the following statement to their policy regarding Android updates,

Based on your carrier, it may take longer than two weeks after release to get an update.

The industry speculation is that this new policy is an indirect admission by Google that they need the carrier's help to push Nexus devices into greater success. Google basically needs to acquiesce to the demands of carriers who want to spend more time working out any software issues with their network. From a certain point of view, this isn't a bad thing. It could reduce some of the bugs that crop up from time to time.

Plus, this now means that the carriers will be more willing to subsidize more of the Nexus devices, and help Google defray some of those costs. Of course, for some users, the reason they purchase a Nexus device is so they can bypass this stuff entirely by handling the OS or custom ROMS themselves manually. This new policy doesn't really change that at all.

Source: Google - Android Support

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Still waiting for the nexus six to be available on purchase direct from Motorola again. Each time I go on it's not available, & I have three thousand dollars in credit burning a hole in my pocket right now. This is one of the main reasons why I won't buy a nexus from a carrier directly but instead purchase it from Motorola themselves.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
I think this is okay, as long as carriers do not abuse this and decide they want to add more things like bloat etc.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Still waiting for the nexus six to be available on purchase direct from Motorola again. Each time I go on it's not available, & I have three thousand dollars in credit burning a hole in my pocket right now. This is one of the main reasons why I won't buy a nexus from a carrier directly but instead purchase it from Motorola themselves.

If it's really burning a hole in your pocket I'd like a set of MMR sugarcoated pistons, rods, and rings to go with my supercharger.

Ghost%2BHood.jpg

...After all it is Christmas!

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
So this means that the carrier may not push an approved update to devices on their network, but you'll still be able to side-load it it yourself on a rooted/unlocked device, right?

Last edited:

Tonik

Reaction score
How do you get your updates on a direct purchase like that?

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
Oi....this is only going to send the community in an uproar and of course I see this as nothing new being a VZW customer. This is more or less Google protecting themselves when they get the wave of complaints of slow updates to new software. I don't really blame them since that the carriers would need to screen this information to use on their network. The bloat, however, (mentioned by grenefroggie) could just go away. If I want it, I'll download it.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Did you read that as only Nexus devices sold by carriers. I read that as all Nexus/GPE devices could be affected no matter where they come from. If you have a Nexus on a carrier such as Verizon/At&t/Sprint, they could still slow them down, even if you bought direct from Google or Motorola in the case of the Nexus 6.

"Timing for software updates
Nexus devices
Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 6, Nexus 7, Nexus 9, and Nexus 10 devices receive the latest version of Android directly from Google. Once an update is available, it can take up to two weeks for it to reach your device. Based on your carrier, it may take longer than two weeks after release to get an update."