Activist Puts Wireless Carriers On Notice to Provide Regular Android Security Updates

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just feel this article and some of the responses in this have been that of entitlement. "I deserve this or that." Like it is some kind of inane right to have the best smart phone with the latest greatest OS. I see this as one of Americas biggest problems right now. I know it can be frusterating.... but you should NEVER consider that your phone can do more or be more than on the day you bought it. If your phone does get an update AWESOME!!! Unexpected bonus... But dont demand it like its your rights. How ridiculous!! Be content people.
Now if you can Rom it and get it where you want great... then DO IT. Dont get me wrong I think Verizon is the DEVIL... But hey if I dont like them... I guess I can take my Dollars else where. Thats the way you should see it too. With capatalism Vote with your Dollars.
I am SURE I am going to catch alot of flack for these statements and thats Ok I am still protected under my 1st Amendment. LOL
If people want to wine about what they dont have.... thats protected under the 1st Amendment too. I just feel Sorry for you is all.

I agree with you if we're simply talking about bells & whistles, or new features... but security patches and updates are also a part of the problem, and it's no sense of entitlement that one should expect their phone to be updated in a timely fashion if there is a security issue. The carriers should also provide this support for 2 years, since that's what they're locking you into.

My only other rebuttal to your statement would be the fact that a lot of times the phones are advertised as "to be updated to..." whatever OS.

That said, I couldn't agree with you more on the sense of entitlement in our country, and do think it's a huge problem, and also think that a lot of the heated threads on the forums are related more to that sense of entitlement than to worries about security patches. :)

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree with you if we're simply talking about bells & whistles, or new features... but security patches and updates are also a part of the problem, and it's no sense of entitlement that one should expect their phone to be updated in a timely fashion if there is a security issue. The carriers should also provide this support for 2 years, since that's what they're locking you into.

My only other rebuttal to your statement would be the fact that a lot of times the phones are advertised as "to be updated to..." whatever OS.

That said, I couldn't agree with you more on the sense of entitlement in our country, and do think it's a huge problem, and also think that a lot of the heated threads on the forums are related more to that sense of entitlement than to worries about security patches. :)

My Incredible 1 isn't getting key lime pie and I'm so distraught because Verizon and Google don't care about my wants. At this point I'd be happy if they'd send out an update to fix what they broke in the last update. In all seriousness I was very very content with froyo on it and didn't get the bug to get a new phone until the botched Gingerbread attempts they pushed.
The only earth shattering thing ICS did for my Rezound was give the ability to install Nova without needing root. I could care less how much or little bloatware is in my phone since Android is so good at ignoring what isn't being used.
I come back to the cash is king though and bet the ceos are saying "pfffft! aflci who?"

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post