Epic Games is Not Developing for Android Because of the Carriers

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Sorry, but bloatware or not, the new Tegra2 phones are more than powerful enough to run their games even with the bloatware.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
This is part of the reason I am anxiously awaiting the preview of the droid 3. Saw the benchmark results today and it looks promising, but if I see blur, bloatware, and all kind of other garbage there is just no way I could purchase. Heck I would have upgraded early and got an X or D2 if they didn't have all that on it (not to mention the bootloaders). It just reminds me of the HOURS I spend when I buy a new PC to wipe it of the garbage software they put on it, except the average user of a phone won't even be able to do this simple task because it would require root.

Then you will be waiting forever. Bloatware is a fact of live unless you are Nazi Apple.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Yea, I wonder if anyone has actually run benchmarks just to see if there is a major number diff between stock with bloat and stock with bloat frozen/removed? I guess I've always just assumed that the bloat slows the phone down..

Anomander

Reaction score
From a flip point of view. Is Epic that dumb to turn away that big of a market because of bloatware? I get the feeling Apple offered a nice chunk of money for Epic to have timed exclusive games on their stuff first. I bet the games will show up on Android down the road.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I thought android handled resources effectively.

If the engine needed more power wouldn't android just close the "bloat" to give it more resource?

bhall238

Reaction score
Whether it slows the phone down or causes more battery drain (and I think it does) or not, I hate the idea that Verizon puts this bloatware on my phone. These things are not essential to the operation of the phone. They can't tell you they are with a straight face so why are they there? I think it's an inane attempt to make more money off us than they already do. And hey I'm not saying there's anything wrong with making money; if these apps were any good people would buy them.

In a somewhat related vein, I notice now with the Thunderbolt when I connect to my computer the Verizon web site opens with an attempt to get me to sign up for V Cast Media Manager for $2.99 a month. Anyone know how to stop that? Another unnecessary app I believe, I have my music, videos, and pictures backed up on my computer and all my apps are backed up with Google.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Whether it slows the phone down or causes more battery drain (and I think it does) or not, I hate the idea that Verizon puts this bloatware on my phone. These things are not essential to the operation of the phone. They can't tell you they are with a straight face so why are they there? I think it's an inane attempt to make more money off us than they already do. And hey I'm not saying there's anything wrong with making money; if these apps were any good people would buy them.

Most of the non vzw created bloat comes through contracts vzw has with other people. They get money for putting it on there.