Can't get to Recovery; strange error.

acrahe1

Reaction score
When I attempt to boot to recovery using X+Power, it boots the Moto circle and then gives me a triangle with a ! in the middle next to a Droid. Am I doing something wrong or is the phone telling me to piss off? I can't get it to do much of anything at this point without getting to recovery. I have an old Droid with a shattered screen that I want to recovery too and I have the saved backup from Nandroid, I just can't get into Nandroid with the working phone to get it started!

Help!

OP
A

acrahe1

Reaction score
While it would still be helpful for someone knowledgeable out there to help me understand the error, I did find a way around the problem and was able to backup my mod and replace it. No rush.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
When I attempt to boot to recovery using X+Power, it boots the Moto circle and then gives me a triangle with a ! in the middle next to a Droid. Am I doing something wrong or is the phone telling me to piss off? I can't get it to do much of anything at this point without getting to recovery. I have an old Droid with a shattered screen that I want to recovery too and I have the saved backup from Nandroid, I just can't get into Nandroid with the working phone to get it started!

Help!
The phone is not telling you to piss off. I guess you don't realize that you have booted into the stock recovery image. So where you say above, "I can't get it to do much of anything at this point without getting to recovery" you actually mean that you can't get it to boot into a custom recovery image.

So let's get some more details out of you. How did you get here? When you go on your phone thusly: menu -> settings -> about phone what do the last few lines say, exactly? We can assume you were rooted before, which custom recovery have you lost? SPRecovery or CMRecovery?

TIA

OP
A

acrahe1

Reaction score
I think the problem was I wasn't getting booted into any recovery image, hence the error. I was able to successfully root the new phone before I got this error, but the difference between the phones was the recovery on the old phone was SPRecovery. Using ROM Manager, it failed to boot into CMRecovery (2.5.0.1). So, I backed up the old image on the SD using SPR and then changed RM to recognize SPR on the new phone and restored the image that way. It works, I have the old version of what I used to have on the new phone (which makes me happier than stock) but without CMR, I can't mod again to anything new using RM (like the new Lithium out there that I hear is pretty sweet). I can live with this, as long as it's not the stock 2.2 which SUCKS!

Here is the info you request:

Model: Droid 1
Android Version: 2.2
Baseband: C_01.43.01P
Kernel: 2.6.32.9-g103d848
android-build@apa26 #1
Build: Froyo Kangerade V1.0
(jrummy's build)

Thanks for the help!

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
If you don't mind me correcting you, with the A855 Droid 1 phone we can (almost) always boot into a recovery system by powering off the phone, then slide out the keyboard and press and hold the 'x' key while then powering the phone back on. The deciding factor is exactly which recovery image are we booted into then? The one described in your OP, the exclamation point in the middle of a triangle next to a droid is the stock recovery, blue writing on black is SPRecovery, and green on black is CMRecovery. This then determines what and where we can go from there.

From the info you have provided, it seems as though you are running a jrummy rom with a stock kernel and both the kernel and baseband are the latest versions. As far as trying to 'upgrade' or flash another rom via Rom Manager, open rom manager, then flash the CMRecovery. If you don't get a 'success' message within just a few seconds, just do it again until you do. Or, as I am sure you have read, try flashing SPRecovery and then CMRecovery until you get the desired result. Then you should be able to use RM to flash your next rom, but I would probably read about it and download it to your PC and xfer it manually instead of doing it within RM.

good luck

OP
A

acrahe1

Reaction score
The stock is the one that is having the problem, then. I don't mind being corrected. Thanks for your help.

deronvk

Reaction score
When my phone was stock I remember having to press up volume and camera button at the same time after seeing the triangle with the !...

lucky13s10

Reaction score
need help, my droid is stock rom but rooted with soup or root 2.04 beta. the phone was sitting ont the night stand when all of a sudden it shut off then tried to boot but gets stuck half way in the DROID logo. pulled battery, and tried the x+power but cant get into recovery it just keeps running the M logo! plz help

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
:welcome: to the forum!

Okay, I'm going to suggest the first thing you do is pull the battery, wait 30 seconds, and then try to power it back up normally. If that doesn't work, pull the battery and try to get into recovery. If that fails, try to get into the bootloader and we'll try to fix you up from there.

And get rid of crap or rot. :) What you want for a one-click rooting app (which generally I hate for various reasons) is z4root. I'll link you after we get you up and running again.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
+1...0000!! Seems like Ryan did his thing on z4root though!

:welcome: to the forum!

Okay, I'm going to suggest the first thing you do is pull the battery, wait 30 seconds, and then try to power it back up normally. If that doesn't work, pull the battery and try to get into recovery. If that fails, try to get into the bootloader and we'll try to fix you up from there.

And get rid of crap or rot. :) What you want for a one-click rooting app (which generally I hate for various reasons) is z4root. I'll link you after we get you up and running again.

DroidForums junkie!!

lucky13s10

Reaction score
thanks for responding so quick, tried getting recovery but cant. but i can get in to the bootloader, what do i need to do here?? thanks again

lucky13s10

Reaction score
thanks for responding so quick guys, i tried those steps, i still cant get normal recovery, but how ever i can and do have the bootloader up and going so where to from here?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Well, the best thing we can do for you is flash recovery. What version do you have for a bootloader? 7C or 6C? It doesn't really matter in one sense if you're just going back to stock ROM, but it's good to know.