Can't Get to Recovery Mode! :eek:

spacegazr

Reaction score
Okay... so I (like many of you) got impatient with not having the latest OS. I rooted my phone and replaced the stock Verizon 2.0 OS with Blue Saphire's 2.2 version. The problem is that I now want to ditch Blue Saphire and move to a different MOD but I can't get my phone to boot into recovery mode. I've tried the Power+x thing, and the ROM Manager's "boot to recovery mode" options with no luck. I never see the yellow triangle symbol... it just boots stays on the logo screen if I hold the buttons down and it will boot as normal if I don't hold the buttons. How can I get this thing to boot to the yellow triangle and get into recovery so I can put a different mod on? (As a side question, is there anything I need to do/backup before I do?)

Thanks for your help!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It sounds to me like you are going to have to sbf to stock and then root again. Which is why you're over here now because I'm not sure how you sbf on the D1 but I'm sure someone will help you.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Okay... so I (like many of you) got impatient with not having the latest OS. I rooted my phone and replaced the stock Verizon 2.0 OS with Blue Saphire's 2.2 version. The problem is that I now want to ditch Blue Saphire and move to a different MOD but I can't get my phone to boot into recovery mode. I've tried the Power+x thing, and the ROM Manager's "boot to recovery mode" options with no luck. I never see the yellow triangle symbol... it just boots stays on the logo screen if I hold the buttons down and it will boot as normal if I don't hold the buttons. How can I get this thing to boot to the yellow triangle and get into recovery so I can put a different mod on? (As a side question, is there anything I need to do/backup before I do?)

Thanks for your help!

If you can still open Rom Manager do the following:

Clockwork Notes:

The first thing about Clockwork is trying to get Rom Manager to flash a good copy onto your phone. Here is a fool proof method to determine whether you have a good copy before trying to reboot into it. Begin by scrolling down and flashing the alternative recovery – SpRecovery. After it successfully loads, scroll up and flash Clockwork. If it takes longer than 3-5 seconds to get the popup telling you the install was successful, reflash it over and over until you do get that popup in 3-5 seconds. Once that happens, you have a good install.

Once you have rebooted into Clockwork and are navigating through its menu, if at any time it hesitates that means it is about to reboot automatically. When Clockwork does reboot and the screen goes dark, immediately press and hold the X key until the phone reboots back into Clockwork. Clockwork will now be totally stable until you finish.

If the first thing you do with Clockwork, during any particular session, is to try and make a Nandroid backup and you get an error message (without regard to what it says), you should just wait a few seconds and not do anything. That is because Clockwork is about to reboot the phone. As stated above, as soon as the screen goes dark, press and hold the X key until the phone reboots back into Clockwork. Then start over and Clockwork will work as it was intended for the rest of the session.

Also, you should know that there is a new recovery available now - RZR. It is based on SPR. I have been using it for some time now and it is terrific. It is stable and more fully functioned than either SpRecovery or Clockwork. Here’s a link to the thread (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ra...-based-update-zips-battery-charging-more.html). You download the zip, put it on the root of the sdcard and then install it with Clockwork or SPR.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
If you can still open Rom Manager do the following:

Clockwork Notes:

The first thing about Clockwork is trying to get Rom Manager to flash a good copy onto your phone. Here is a fool proof method to determine whether you have a good copy before trying to reboot into it. Begin by scrolling down and flashing the alternative recovery – SpRecovery. After it successfully loads, scroll up and flash Clockwork. If it takes longer than 3-5 seconds to get the popup telling you the install was successful, reflash it over and over until you do get that popup in 3-5 seconds. Once that happens, you have a good install.

Once you have rebooted into Clockwork and are navigating through its menu, if at any time it hesitates that means it is about to reboot automatically. When Clockwork does reboot and the screen goes dark, immediately press and hold the X key until the phone reboots back into Clockwork. Clockwork will now be totally stable until you finish.

If the first thing you do with Clockwork, during any particular session, is to try and make a Nandroid backup and you get an error message (without regard to what it says), you should just wait a few seconds and not do anything. That is because Clockwork is about to reboot the phone. As stated above, as soon as the screen goes dark, press and hold the X key until the phone reboots back into Clockwork. Then start over and Clockwork will work as it was intended for the rest of the session.

Also, you should know that there is a new recovery available now - RZR. It is based on SPR. I have been using it for some time now and it is terrific. It is stable and more fully functioned than either SpRecovery or Clockwork. Here’s a link to the thread (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ra...-based-update-zips-battery-charging-more.html). You download the zip, put it on the root of the sdcard and then install it with Clockwork or SPR.
+1 ^^^ this.

adsfa34

Reaction score
And also remember to wipe /system, /data and /cache (I do each a few times for good measure) under the "partitions" menu in clockwork before installing your ROM. That way, if you get a bootloop, you know it's most likely a faulty download, a bad flash, or a kernel issue.

Not required for a flash but recommended is to also wipe dalvik-cache (under "advanced").

I would also recommend backing up your apps via Titanium Backup. Just go to "batch" then "Backup All User Apps" then when you restore, restore "missing apps and app data only".

if ($nightly="yes") echo "w00t!";