Bugs in ICS OTA: Faults and Fix

helron

Reaction score
Update does NOT clear cache! Easy non software fix!

Attention**Droid RAZR and Droid RAZR MAXX Ice Cream Sandwich updates. Users*have been*complaining about issues*with the Ice Cream Sandwich update that Motorola and Verizon pushed does not wipe the cache of both devices.

Wiping the cache is something that is required to help keep applications and tasks stable. It’s also probably the reason many of Droid RAZR and Droid RAZR MAXX owners have been complaining about crashes and the devices seemingly taking on minds of their own.

It’s also a requirement for rooted users when moving from ROMs.

Here are step by step instructions on how to wipe the cache of both devices clean, a move that should return the Droid RAZR and Droid RAZR MAXX to normal.

1)*Press and hold the Power button and turn the phone off.
2)*When the screen turns off, press and hold Volume Down and Power.
3)*When the white HBOOT screen appears, use the volume button to move down to “RECOVERY.”
4)*Press the Power button to select “RECOVERY.”
5)*When the triangle and exclamation appears, hold the Volume Up and Power button at the same time.
6)*Using the volume button, scroll down to “Wipe cache partition” and select it.
7)*Select “Reboot system now.”

Thanks to : How to Fix Droid RAZR and Droid RAZR MAXX Ice Cream Sandwich Issues

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
After reading comments in article, for step #2, they mention slight change in instructions to get to "recovery" ... push volume up + volume down + power buttons.

Thanks for great advice, helron!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

OP
H

helron

Reaction score
That's the best, but why, if clearing the cache works?

Skullz48

Reaction score
As much as I hate to ask.... What does "push volume up + volume down + power buttons" mean? I've tried pushing the up volume, then down, then holding it and then the power button but all it brings up is a screen that tells me to connect to USB (??) What am I doing wrong?

jaybogg

Reaction score
I tried it and after a few tries, I got it. This was my first time in this area of the phone as I have never performed FDR or anything else in this menu. I did have to hold the power, plus and minus volume buttons a few seconds to get into the menu. Liked the animations on the menu pages!! My phone has been pretty stable stable for the most part, does take off and does weird things every week or two, but so far powering off and back on has seemed to fix any of these minor problems. Always appears to be a runaway app. I decided to try this as it seemed pretty harmless and a way to familiarize myself with the menus I've been reading about for the last few months.

Skullz48

Reaction score
Do you have to keep holding the power button down, then push the volum up button for a few seconds, then the volum down button and hold it? I keep trying but all it does is turn on the phone, :cus:

Skullz48

Reaction score
Do you have to keep holding the power button down, then push the volum up button for a few seconds, then the volum down button and hold it? I keep trying but all it does is turn on the phone, :cus:

OK, I finally got it. I'm a dum$%&*(ss. I was reading it as hold one then the other. Not both at the same time. Geezzzz.... Thanks for your help!!! :blink:

OP
H

helron

Reaction score
Will clearing cache on a leaked version cause issues or fix issues? Razr NOt rooted, but running 215 leak.