Bootloader Crack Imminent

Druuseph

Reaction score
Hope! - xda-developers

Since the Droid 2 bootloader is the same as the one found on the Droid X both phones should be seeing it released around the same time. Reading further in the thread some some one claims that Cyanogen is going to be coming to the new Droids once the crack is mainstream.

So chin up fellow Droid 2 lovers, after 2 grueling months the floodgates are about to be opened.

EDIT: Maybe I made it seem closer than it was but good news today. According to twitter the guys working on unlocking the Droid X and Droid 2 got a Sierra Bravo Foxtrot file from a Chinese source and are just about done with the unlock.

http://nenolod.net/~nenolod/sholes/README
William Pitcock (nenolod) on Twitter
Stephen Bird (_mrbirdman_) on Twitter

Darkseider

Reaction score
Here's hoping. Even though I own a Droid I would love to see what the devs could do on a DX / D2 with an AOSP build and custom kernels. Hell think of it this way. IF it does come to fruition the DX / D2 will have their life expectancy extended at least another 8 - 12 months. Seeing that the Droid is already nearing a year and is nowhere near obsolete due to its' openness. Now the DX /D2 with internal storage AND 512 Meg RAM will just up that ante. Here's hoping! I will keep my fingers crossed for you guys!

spdivr1122

Reaction score
This might be a dumb question, but what happens if the bootloader is unlocked? I mean it's locked now and roms and themes are still coming out

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hope! - xda-developers

Since the Droid 2 bootloader is the same as the one found on the Droid X both phones should be seeing it released around the same time. Reading further in the thread some some one claims that Cyanogen is going to be coming to the new Droids once the crack is mainstream.

So chin up fellow Droid 2 lovers, after 2 grueling months the floodgates are about to be opened.
I would like to see the bootloader cracked, I'd feel much more comfortable rooting my Droid with SPRecovery. I'm assuming of course that would be possible once the bootloader is cracked.

revision

Reaction score
This might be a dumb question, but what happens if the bootloader is unlocked? I mean it's locked now and roms and themes are still coming out

What this means to me is that when the bootloader is cracked, the roms will be much easier to put out. Right now the way I understand it to be is they're kind of peace-mealing the roms together by stripping out as much of the blur stuff as possible but seem to be unable to do a straight from source type build because the kernel cannot be changed. If the bootloader is cracked, they might be able to open this phone wide open which i am really hopeful of.

I'm running my d2 rooted with the new r2d2 release just because i wanted to play with something new, but to me i'm still installing motorola dev'd stuff with all the bloatware. I really want to try some of the home made roms out there but i don't see a lot of stability in them yet. So in my mind a cracked bootloader to me = me eventually being extremely happy with this phone, like when i first loaded sapphire on my d1.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm actually pretty much OK the way things are now...

- don't have any performance issues...1GHz has been plenty fast, and my D2 doesn't bog down the way my D1 could even OC'd at 1Ghz...if overclocking became available, I would probably try it, but it's not a must like it was on the D1

- ROMs/Themes are available, CM6 is already well underway by Slayher for an ASOP ROM...and I'm finding I like some aspects of the D2 OS that I would most likely lose w/most custom ROMs, so changing ROMs isn't as imperative as it felt w/the D1. I only use the blur I want to, and the rest is for the most part irrelevant and not an issue to me.

- CW Recovery is available - prefer it over SP Recovery so no issues there

- Wifi tether is available.

- Stock recovery is still available even when CW Recovery is installed...actually kinda like that, makes things easier if I needed to un-root, and isn't getting in my way now that I know how to boot to CW recovery from power up or from running D2.

Don't get me wrong, if they crack the bootloader I'll be happy and look forward to any new goodies/enhancements that may show up, but I think people don't get sometimes how good we have it now. :)

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Cant wait for this to happen along with an o/c kernel. Come on cyanogen crew.....

OP
D

Druuseph

Reaction score

- don't have any performance issues...1GHz has been plenty fast, and my D2 doesn't bog down the way my D1 could even OC'd at 1Ghz...if overclocking became available, I would probably try it, but it's not a must like it was on the D1

- ROMs/Themes are available, CM6 is already well underway by Slayher for an ASOP ROM...and I'm finding I like some aspects of the D2 OS that I would most likely lose w/most custom ROMs, so changing ROMs isn't as imperative as it felt w/the D1. I only use the blur I want to, and the rest is for the most part irrelevant and not an issue to me.

- Stock recovery is still available even when CW Recovery is installed...actually kinda like that, makes things easier if I needed to un-root, and isn't getting in my way now that I know how to boot to CW recovery from power up or from running D2.

Don't get me wrong, if they crack the bootloader I'll be happy and look forward to any new goodies/enhancements that may show up, but I think people don't get sometimes how good we have it now. :)

I do not disagree with this, in fact not having a quick fix solution to throw onto my phone has taught me a lot about Android in a very short period of time setting my phone up just the way I like it while having to deal with the stock ROM. That said, the second Cyanogen is ported to it I am installing it but I can definitely live with how my phone is at the moment.

What I am worried about, however, is the next release of Android. Counting on Motorola to release their blurred-up OTA update in a timely manner is a clear way to guarantee disappointment. I'm sorry Motorola, I love your hardware but you can shove Blur so far up your ass it will chew for you, just give me Vanilla and don't make me suffer! With the bootloader cracked we can get some Cyanogen loving right there with everyone else and not have to play the waiting game as the Droid X crowd did.

Canadroid

Reaction score
What I am worried about, however, is the next release of Android. Counting on Motorola to release their blurred-up OTA update in a timely manner is a clear way to guarantee disappointment. I'm sorry Motorola, I love your hardware but you can shove Blur so far up your ass it will chew for you, just give me Vanilla and don't make me suffer! With the bootloader cracked we can get some Cyanogen loving right there with everyone else and not have to play the waiting game as the Droid X crowd did.

Is the next OTA supposed to have a bunch of garbage on it from what you've heard/read?

New to my D2; rooted w/ no update patches since purchase and having zero issues so far. Was going to return to stock and see what comes out but I'd rather pass on OTA's if more crapware is due t/b loaded up next...

OP
D

Druuseph

Reaction score
Is the next OTA supposed to have a bunch of garbage on it from what you've heard/read?

New to my D2; rooted w/ no update patches since purchase and having zero issues so far. Was going to return to stock and see what comes out but I'd rather pass on OTA's if more crapware is due t/b loaded up next...

Unless it's a new version of Android or a critical fix (And from what I can tell on my phone there is nothing critical that needs fixing) I'm avoiding any OTA updates as to not screw up what I've already managed to modify. From what I understand, the leaked OTA update (2.3.5) doesn't really change much, in my eyes it's not really worth touching when it finally does make it's way over the air.

MrKleen

Reaction score

I pretty much agree with this statement. With the D2 things are surprisingly good.

My D1 had serious software issues and the phone did not work properly until I flashed custom roms to fix it.

I have been very happy with the stock D2 and just finally rooted not long ago. I tried a rom that took out much of the Blur and had to go back to stock because I found I actually liked a couple of the widgets. I have since themed the stock rom with 928Droid Black Glass and it's pretty slick!

I will be very happy when they fully crack this phone and more options become available for sure! But to be honest, this is a good enough phone as is that I can survive the wait!

spdivr1122

Reaction score
I can't wait for the bootloader to hopefully be unlocked. I want the old contacts app back that synced with facebook. Blur is so annoying

spdivr1122

Reaction score
I can't wait for the bootloader to hopefully be unlocked. I want the old contacts app back that synced with facebook. Blur is so annoying

The contacts app on the Droid X/2 doesn't sync with facebook???

Not really... unless you sign in on blur which makes all your facebook contacts go into your phone book which is obnoxious. the non blur facebook synced with my current contacts