Droid X Bootloader Locked, Custom ROMs Unlikely

balticzar

Reaction score
Not worried about it in the least. I have the utmost confidence in the dev's here and trust they'll come up with a workaround. The only thing this means for me is that I won't be selling my Moto Droid on ebay to subsidize the purchase of the X. Oh well.

Reason being for that is if I wanna switch back to the Moto Droid for customizable "goodness" it'll be right there in my sock drawer, just waiting to get back in the game.

wingsabr

Reaction score
I hope they realize they will be losing a lot of sales by doing this crap. Albeit Verizon probably is the one who pushed the whole signed boot loader thing

It really won't hurt sales. How many of the millions of people that are going to buy the stupid phone care about, or even know about rooting??
yeah besides a few corners of the droid pond, no one else really cares about rooting, roms, etc.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Droid 2 wouldn't be much of a Droid with a Digitally Locked BootLoader, before the release they would need to rename it to the Droid -2

Googleaddict

Reaction score
I wonder why Motorola decided to lock the bootloader in the Droid X.. I really hope the Droid 2 and upcoming Droids will not have a locked bootloader.

FSRBIKER

Reaction score
The issue isn't that the Droid X is Locked is that it is Digitally Encrypted, the Droid was locked but not Encrypted...the Milestone was locked and encrypted. HTC locks their phones but does not digitally encrypt them, so developers find the way to crack the lock and get into the bootloader. The lock in essence prevents the average user from being able to do something to their phone and cause it to not run correctly.

It's that reasoning alone that encrypting the lock on just Motorola phones leads me to believe this is directly from Motorola and not Verizon. Sadly I was going to buy a Droid X to replace my Droid but now I am looking at the Samsung Galaxy phones as these have been rooted/unlocked already....interesting to see if the Verizon version is encrypted but I highly doubt it. I might even just pick up and jump ship from Verizon if another carrier has a phone that has been unlocked that I like come November when my Verizon contract is up.

One last thought is how many people are running custom Roms on the Droid, Pete alone had almost 40,000 downloads of BBv0.4 in the first week. All of these contracts will be up within approx a year so how many lost Motorola sales will there be out of this group of rooted users? I bet almost all of these users will not buy another Motorola phone if they are all being encrypted, I bet the Milestone owners that are dying to run custom Rom's on their phone will not be buying an other encrypted Motorola phone. All these future sales will be lost by Motorola and gained by HTC, Samsung, etc and provide great feedback to them on what new tweaks these custom Rom's provide the end user and encorporate the best ones in the next update or future phones.

Sorry Motorola but if you had the b*lls you would provide everyone with a straight answer, just tell me you will encrypt all your new phones so the custom Rom crowd can now get behind those phone manufacturers who believe in what Android is all about...OPEN SOURCE.

Samckaz

Reaction score
Oh man this is SO disappointing.

I am seriously considering canceling my order.
Can somebody in the know please tell me if the Droid X will be rooted will "WIFI TETHER" be possible?
If not, it's canceled today.
Thanks

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Can somebody in the know please tell me if the Droid X will be rooted will "WIFI TETHER" be possible?

Nobody knows for sure as of yet, but the rumors going around are that the Boot Loader is Digitally Encrypted and it will be some time before it is rooted, if ever

peperonikiller

Reaction score
You people get it right already...

Root will be most likely..

Custom roms is what will be taking a long time if ever b/c of the bootloader..

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
You people get it right already

Nobody is right or wrong here, as of now it is all speculation.

My thoughts are Custom ROMs are a part of Full Root Access, so Not having the ability to flash Custom ROMs is not Full Root Access.

The Droid does have F/R/A and to Rooted Droid users anything that falls short of the Access that a rooted Droid allows is not full root and is just not going to be the same

clucernoni

Reaction score
Wow this is really sad. I'm glad I didn't preorder and am waiting until the end of the year.

UNC

Reaction score
Android being "open-source" doesn't really mean dick here. The operating system itself is "open-source", but the individual implementations of it are not. HTC still "owns" SenseUI.

I really do love my rooted and rom'd out droid, but in reality I understand that it hurts Verizon's business to allow un-metered tethering, as well as overclocking, etc....

I am glad that the newer Android phones are somewhat locked down, I'd hate to see this fantastic platform go the way of the SONY PSP.

peperonikiller

Reaction score
You people get it right already

Nobody is right or wrong here, as of now it is all speculation.

My thoughts are Custom ROMs are a part of Full Root Access, so Not having the ability to flash Custom ROMs is not Full Root Access.

The Droid does have F/R/A and to Rooted Droid users anything that falls short of the Access that a rooted Droid allows is not full root and is just not going to be the same

Well, specific root access in linux terms, which android is.. means being SuperUser or Admin.. which will most likely happen on the droid x. So im sticking with my initial post

peperonikiller

Reaction score
Well, if you really want to be technical, the X will most likely get ROOT access. Just probably no roms.