Bootloader Crack Imminent

techarlj

Reaction score
i hope it gets unlocked, that was the greatest thing about the d1, modding so much you didnt know what to do when there wasnt a rom update everyday. now i just twiddle my thumbs hoping ccroms or cyanogen get something rolling when the crack is finished

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can mod EVERYTHING on the D2 that you could on the D1, w/the exception of replacing/overclocking the kernel.

We have a 1GHz kernel, so that's really not a big issue.

You can, on a D2:

- Wifi tether
- Apply themes
- Install ROMs
- Modify build.prop
- Underclock your kernel in certain situations to save battery life

The only thing we're missing is a fully de-blurred ROM at this point, which I realize some people want a lot, but we should not lose site of the fact that there is a lot we can already do now. :)

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You can mod EVERYTHING on the D2 that you could on the D1, w/the exception of replacing/overclocking the kernel.

You can, on a D2:

- Wifi tether
- Apply themes
- Install ROMs
- Modify build.prop

The only thing we're missing is a fully de-blurred ROM at this point, which I realize some people want a lot, but we should not lose site of the fact that there is a lot we can already do now. :)

Being that moto is going to release the droid pro and r2d2 droid with a 1200 processor (overclocking the droid 2 processor) I am pushing for the devs to crack it.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score

You can, on a D2:

- Wifi tether
- Apply themes
- Install ROMs
- Modify build.prop

Being that moto is going to release the droid pro and r2d2 droid with a 1200 processor (overclocking the droid 2 processor) I am pushing for the devs to crack it.

Oh i agree, it will be better when the bootloader is cracked...aside from overclocking, chief among the issues resolved for me would be allowing access to CW Recovery via power on/X button.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

You can, on a D2:

- Wifi tether
- Apply themes
- Install ROMs
- Modify build.prop

Oh i agree, it will be better when the bootloader is cracked...aside from overclocking, chief among the issues resolved for me would be allowing access to CW Recovery via power on/X button.

That too, Right now its a game to get into recovery mode to fix an issue. I have had it happen where every time i boot into recovery i get cw, but then other times it wont with out doing a battery pull.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I wonder if while stuck if you could use adb to boot into recover mode.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score

That's interesting...never thought of that angle.

Seems like it's unlikely to work, since stock recovery is there that's what would be most likely to load, but it's worth a try sometime... :)

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Seems like it's unlikely to work, since stock recovery is there that's what would be most likely to load, but it's worth a try sometime... :)

Was curious cuz when I go into terminal emulator and type reboot recovery it takes me to cw recovery. SO if you installed a bad rom and you are stuck will adb read your computer. If so you could use the command line.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't forget guys that cvpcs almost has obsidian done for the x and will tackle tanzanite for the 2, which should be similar. ASOP is getting closer by the day for you people :)

Sent from my Droid

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score

Was curious cuz when I go into terminal emulator and type reboot recovery it takes me to cw recovery. SO if you installed a bad rom and you are stuck will adb read your computer. If so you could use the command line.

Damn - really? Terminal emulator reboot recovery launches CW!? Did not expect/know that...

However, for the Adb approach to be useful for "emergencies" it would have to work when the D2 was boot looping or stuck on an M, and I can't replicate that right now (or at least don't want to). ;)

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score

AngDroid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Don't forget guys that cvpcs almost has obsidian done for the x and will tackle tanzanite for the 2, which should be similar. ASOP is getting closer by the day for you people :)

Sent from my Droid

Feel like I'm listening to a CIA agent. ;)

You know Slayher has a booting version of CM6 running on a D2 right? :) He put up a video of it in a thread here...

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-roms/82634-aosp-droid2.html

Yeah but are they using the moto kernel? I have ASOP running too but it is using the moto kernel. With that you still need to use the blur dialer which causes other problems too...if you use the google phone package then you get no signal. We still need access to the kernel...ASOP witht he moto kernel is not much different than what some of us are doing with the OEM ROMs by removing the crap from it.

I am wondering if a different approach will work. Instead of trying to crack the bootloader maybe someone should figure out how to sign the update.zip or kernel file using moto's sig. Might be the same as cracking the bootloader but just a different method on to get around it.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score

Sent from my Droid

You know Slayher has a booting version of CM6 running on a D2 right? :) He put up a video of it in a thread here...

Yeah but are they using the moto kernel? I have ASOP running too but it is using the moto kernel. With that you still need to use the blur dialer which causes other problems too...if you use the google phone package then you get no signal. We still need access to the kernel...ASOP witht he moto kernel is not much different than what some of us are doing with the OEM ROMs by removing the crap from it.

I am wondering if a different approach will work. Instead of trying to crack the bootloader maybe someone should figure out how to sign the update.zip or kernel file using moto's sig. Might be the same as cracking the bootloader but just a different method on to get around it.

Hmmm....Koush's CM ROMs used the stock D1 moto kernel (albeit w/OC enabled so you could clock it to 800). You should take a look at Slayher's video in the thread...I've only seen it w/sound off (watched it at work) so don't know what he says about it during the video. :)

Interesting idea about signing...I don't have any idea which is harder, as my programming skills started and ended w/DOS batch files... :(

AngDroid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

Hmmm....Koush's CM ROMs used the stock D1 moto kernel (albeit w/OC enabled so you could clock it to 800). You should take a look at Slayher's video in the thread...I've only seen it w/sound off (watched it at work) so don't know what he says about it during the video. :)

Interesting idea about signing...I don't have any idea which is harder, as my programming skills started and ended w/DOS batch files... :(

Sounds like the TV is on :)

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score

Sounds like the TV is on :)

Damn...you are good! :D