Boosting cell reception in the home

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I bought the Verizon one and we did not have a window that faced the right direction and I could not get it to work. So it went back....

We get totally crappy reception in this house, which doesnt affect the internet because I have wi-fi going but calls are terrible.

rstone

Reaction score
If you want reliable communications in your house, you don't need to hold out for a different femtocell to come out in the second half of the year. And, especially if you have a Droid you can use wifi like I do.

Yeah, but your DROID doesn't make or receive calls via WiFi, so how does this help with someone who has bad reception in their home???

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you want reliable communications in your house, you don't need to hold out for a different femtocell to come out in the second half of the year. And, especially if you have a Droid you can use wifi like I do.

Yeah, but your DROID doesn't make or receive calls via WiFi, so how does this help with someone who has bad reception in their home???
I'm talking about the question about 1X - data - I use the WiFi in the house using my Droid. The WiFi has nothing to do with making or receiving phone calls. That is separate. I have full bars for talking. The Network Extender is it's own little cell site right in your house.

brucin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola X Pure
I use my NE in an area where i get no bars from a tower and it works great. I can walk up to 100 feet from the NE and I can still make and recieve calls. As an added bonus sprint phones will work with it also. I have a wireless router so for data i leave wifi on. The NE also has very good GPS reception. I have it 4 feet from a window without the external antenna.

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
I have the Network Extender as well. I got it a while back, probably close to a year ago. At my house I get decent reception outside 3 or so bars, but there are areas inside my house that were a complete deadzone without it. Obviously your miles may vary.

Anyhow, remember there is usually a coupon coupon code for 20% accessories, which I think is always ACC20 not sure about that though. I don't remember why, but I got a $50 mail in rebate as well. So all in all I got it for $150, and now I get great reception in my house. Easily paid for itself in that time.

MarkB

Reaction score
Yeah, we're looking into this as well. The only reason we are still keeping our land line is that the home theater is in the basement, and I don't have to tell people what kind of signal you can get in a basement. So the land line is there in case we need/want to call someone without going upstairs.

You would probably be better off with an Xlink Bluetooth Gateway if your cell reception is okay upstairs. Leave your cell by the Gateway and have it route incoming and outgoing calls through your regular phone system. That's what allowed me to give up my landline (well, Vonage actually). Come home, plop your cell near the thing and that's it. So you can set it up where you get the best cell reception in the house.

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
Anyhow, remember there is usually a coupon coupon code for 20% accessories, which I think is always ACC20 not sure about that though. I don't remember why, but I got a $50 mail in rebate as well. So all in all I got it for $150, and now I get great reception in my house. Easily paid for itself in that time.

I just got this same deal a few weeks ago, 20% off and a $50 rebate in the box. So for approx $150 I don't have to go outside in the cold to talk clearly on the phone anymore, it's up to the individual if that is worth it or not :)

To clear up a few facts, the current NE allows 3 phone calls at one time plus a reserved 4th channel for emergency calls. If you leave it "unmanaged" anyone within range can use it. But it is easy to make it "managed", you log on to your Verizon wirless account and set it up there. You can add up to 50 different phone numbers and make them(and only them) authorizied to access the NE.

As mentioned there is a new version coming out in late spring early summer and it allows up to 8 calls at one time.

KevinJ

Reaction score
You would probably be better off with an Xlink Bluetooth Gateway if your cell reception is okay upstairs. Leave your cell by the Gateway and have it route incoming and outgoing calls through your regular phone system. That's what allowed me to give up my landline (well, Vonage actually). Come home, plop your cell near the thing and that's it. So you can set it up where you get the best cell reception in the house.

Thank you sir. Very much.