Note 3 reception issues

jsandy

Reaction score
I live in a county where Verizon is the only real option regarding coverage but even Verizon can be spotty. I took my new Note 3 hunting this weekend and that area has always had a weak signal but on my last phone, a Razr Maxx, I could usually get 2 or 3 bars of 3G. It was enough that I could use GPS with some online maps. The Note 3 can only pull in 1 bar of 1x and sometimes not that. There were times that I had no signal at all. The GPS works fine but I can't access any maps. The GPS knows where I am but I don't <g>. Where I know that signal is strong I'll get 4 or 5 bars of 4G but it doesn't seem to "pull" the signal as well as the Razr Maxx. Is this a problem with my phone in particular, the Note 3 in general or Samsung? I remember an article on line that the Note 3 has a new Radio power management system. Would this be affecting my reception? Is there any way to "boost" the "pulling" power of the Note 3. Thanks for any advice.

acousticshade

Reaction score
Looking heavily at purchasing the N3, but I am in the same boat. If the radios are less responsive than my Rezound, I will probably go with the G2 instead. Can't afford bad reception in my business.

Typically moto & HTC radios have been a step above Samsung, so curious to see if that is still the case.

steeletown

Reaction score
I haven't exactly been happy with my reception on my note 3 as well. I came from a s4 and a note 2 and data signal was a lot better on those device's.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I'm on first day with n3 ..so I will see after a few days if it compares to N2 ..I had perfect signal with N2 ...Also I don't know if it will help but I always change mobile networks from global to CDMA/LTE/EVDO

N3 tapa

steeletown

Reaction score
I'm on first day with n3 ..so I will see after a few days if it compares to N2 ..I had perfect signal with N2 ...Also I don't know if it will help but I always change mobile networks from global to CDMA/LTE/EVDO

N3 tapa

I just changed it myself, so we will see if that helps.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Hopefully it will help ..I'm in strong areas mainly but if this phone compares to N2 I'd be happy

N3 tapa

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
I have no complaints with the Note 3 radios thus far...I live 15 or so miles from town and always had one area where my Note 2 would drop to 3g, so far with the Note 3, I have kept 4g all the way to town.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Did you have 4.3 on your old phone? My Rezound went from awesome to mediocre when ICS got pushed into it and I've noticed my Nexus7 has radio (Wi-Fi and Bluetooth) bugs with 4.3 that weren't there with 4.2.
Just wondering if 4.3 might be the culprit. My Note2 blows my Rezound away for fringe area reception but it's 4.1

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Beast Mode (Notetoo)

acousticshade

Reaction score
Would be great if someone could post some signal strength comparisons between the N3 and their current phone using Opensignal or a comparable app. I will have to do that next time I go to Verizon or Best Buy.

This is probably the biggest thing holding me back from buying this phone over the G2.

OP
J

jsandy

Reaction score
I live in a county where Verizon is the only real option regarding coverage but even Verizon can be spotty. I took my new Note 3 hunting this weekend and that area has always had a weak signal but on my last phone, a Razr Maxx, I could usually get 2 or 3 bars of 3G. It was enough that I could use GPS with some online maps. The Note 3 can only pull in 1 bar of 1x and sometimes not that. There were times that I had no signal at all. The GPS works fine but I can't access any maps. The GPS knows where I am but I don't <g>. Where I know that signal is strong I'll get 4 or 5 bars of 4G but it doesn't seem to "pull" the signal as well as the Razr Maxx. Is this a problem with my phone in particular, the Note 3 in general or Samsung? I remember an article on line that the Note 3 has a new Radio power management system. Would this be affecting my reception? Is there any way to "boost" the "pulling" power of the Note 3. Thanks for any advice.

As a follow up. Went to the same area today. Changed from Global to CDMA. No help. entire time either no signal or 1 bar of 1x. where I have good signal it is a great phone. I wish I had known about this problem, I would have gone another route.

steeletown

Reaction score
As a follow up. Went to the same area today. Changed from Global to CDMA. No help. entire time either no signal or 1 bar of 1x. where I have good signal it is a great phone. I wish I had known about this problem, I would have gone another route.

I don't know if this will help,but I had to reboot my phone when I changed from global to LTE/CDMA. It seems to have helped a little.

acousticshade

Reaction score
Jsandy, if you are on Verizon, I believe you can exchange your phone for a different model for a small fee if you are unhappy. The crux is that you can only do it once.

I believe that the antenna in the LG G2 is supposed to be pretty good.

If you do choose to switch, I would recommend using a signal strength app with the two phones side by side in the store. Run the app several times in different areas of the store if they will let you untether the phone. It will tell you which has a better signal. Smaller db readings mean better signal.

OP
J

jsandy

Reaction score
I don't know if this will help,but I had to reboot my phone when I changed from global to LTE/CDMA. It seems to have helped a little.

Tried rebooting it after changing from Global to CDMA. No luck. This only affects my ability to use the maps I need with my GPS. It is so thick and dense where I hunt that it is very easy to get turned around especially in the dark. I can go to a dedicated GPS trail unit but it is just one more thing to lug around.
The percentage of time that I need it over the course of a year is infinitesimal compared to my other uses for the phone. I get good reception and data transfer everywhere else (so far). I'm going to keep my Note 3 but am really disappointed in Samsung. They packed the phone with great features and seem to have ignored the fact that, at their core, all of these devices are primarily for communication. I sincerely hope that this is a software problem that can be fixed (although I doubt it). It isn't likely that I will purchase another Samsung phone.

UPDATE: It may be an apples (pun intended) to oranges comparison but yesterday afternoon I went to the same area with my Ipad (on Verizon too). I was able to reliably connect to the net and the signal indicator was consistently 2 "bars" of 3G (I couldn't figure out where to find the actual -db reading). My Note 3 laying right next to the Ipad could only muster 1 bar of 1x. Later, when I was in town where I knew there was good coverage, the Note 3 had all bars (4G) lit and showed a fantastic (for me) -80db. If older and less feature packed phones can do it I don't understand why Samsung hasn't addressed this issue.

steeletown

Reaction score
Now I'm having wifi issues along with data issue's. And I'm experiencing dropped calls. This is the first Samsung phone that I had issues with.