Note 3 reception issues

reidry

Reaction score
Have you considered that your Galaxy Note may be a lemon? I work in a building that is notorious for low cell signal. My Galaxy Nexus would only work in rooms around the perimeter, while my Note 3 performs well two or three corridors in from the perimeter.

So far my reception performance has been very good. It also holds calls very well though the audio clarity is somewhat clipped and over processed.

Overall the Note 3 has been a great move for me, even though I find some of the U I could use improvement.

Ryan

steeletown

Reaction score
Have you considered that your Galaxy Note may be a lemon? I work in a building that is notorious for low cell signal. My Galaxy Nexus would only work in rooms around the perimeter, while my Note 3 performs well two or three corridors in from the perimeter.

So far my reception performance has been very good. It also holds calls very well though the audio clarity is somewhat clipped and over processed.

Overall the Note 3 has been a great move for me, even though I find some of the U I could use improvement.

Ryan

I did exchange it for another one, and this one seems to have a much better signal.

larsonage

Reaction score
I always get 3 bars. Is that normal for a Samsung phone?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

huskur

Reaction score
First thing you should do before deeming your device as a "lemon" or "defective" is re-seat the SIM card. Most signal issues stem from SIM card. If that doesn't work I would go to Verizon and request a new SIM.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I did exchange it for another one, and this one seems to have a much better signal.

Hey steele, any update on this? Does it still seem to be an improvement??

steeletown

Reaction score
Hey steele, any update on this? Does it still seem to be an improvement??

Reception is still going strong. I drive a lot for work so I'm going from 4G to 3G areas, and I noticed that I was losing 4G in places I never did with my S4. I was also dropping calls in places I never had problems with. I'm guessing I had a lemon

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I dunno about it being a lemon, as much as I hate to admit it, in areas I had low reception on my S3 I have worse reception on my N3. If it's a decent signal it's fine, but it's definitely a little weaker in low reception areas.

I know other phones have had this issue in the past (X2) and updates were eventually able to straighten it out so hopefully that'll be the case here.

steeletown

Reaction score
Reception is not as good as it was on my S4, but it is better then it was on my first note 3.

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Great call signal since day 1 even better data. Much better than the Nexus.

Honestly, I don't like talking on the phone too much. Have to for work and have had no issues.

acousticshade

Reaction score
Did some checking at Verizon with several phones yesterday. Of course the signal moves around a bit, so these numbers should not be considered exact, but give a good indication of overall signal strength.

My Rezound, which is considered to have at least an average to above average signal was hovering around -77 to -79 db. The LG G2 was in the same range, but would jump to -81 db occasionally. The N3 was the worst at -88 db on two different phones.

While that's not a horrible difference, it is around a 13% lower signal strength than the Rezound and 10% less than the G2 (this is similar to other reports on the web). It's not enough to make a difference in big cities, but in fringe and rural areas, it will drop out faster.

Since the G2 can now be had for $99, it's really making my decision difficult.

mcsoul

Reaction score
Did some checking at Verizon with several phones yesterday. Of course the signal moves around a bit, so these numbers should not be considered exact, but give a good indication of overall signal strength.

My Rezound, which is considered to have at least an average to above average signal was hovering around -77 to -79 db. The LG G2 was in the same range, but would jump to -81 db occasionally. The N3 was the worst at -88 db on two different phones.

While that's not a horrible difference, it is around a 13% lower signal strength than the Rezound and 10% less than the G2 (this is similar to other reports on the web). It's not enough to make a difference in big cities, but in fringe and rural areas, it will drop out faster.

The LG G2 is a nice phone, I like almost everything about it. But having a 1080P/60 camera
and no microsd card slot is a deal breaker for me. The worst part is that the Korean version
of the G2 does have a card slot.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

If you aren't going to be using the s pen features and don't mind a slightly smaller screen the G2 will be an excellent alternative.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Beast Mode (Notetoo)

acousticshade

Reaction score
The LG G2 is a nice phone, I like almost everything about it. But having a 1080P/60 camera
and no microsd card slot is a deal breaker for me. The worst part is that the Korean version
of the G2 does have a card slot.

Yeah, both are great phones and kudos to both LG and Samsung, but there are always tradeoffs. The video camera & multi-tasking of the n3 is a big plus for me but the antenna concerns me. Have to decide if the potential frustration of not connecting in certain areas & extra $200 is worth the added features.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
It's not as bad as the internet makes it seem, acoustic. If you'll be traveling in fringe areas a lot then it's something to consider, but if you're mostly in the metro part of any urban area you have nothing to worry about. Though again, if you do frequent low signal areas, then it might be an issue.

Just don't want people thinking their signal can cut out at any time with this phone because of a bad antenna. My apartment is a dead zone, I only get service in about half of it. I used to have a Rezound and I can't say I notice a HUGE difference, though it does seem to maybe cut in and out a bit more than my Rezound if I move around. But again, it's not bad enough to where I'm thinking about changing phones...the signal here just sucks in general.