Are cell towers shared?

silvere2

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out my Verizon signal woes...I don't live in a rural area, I live smack dab in the middle the suburbs of a major city. I found a cell tower mapper, but all the cell towers even remotely close to me are owned by T-Mobile. Do companies share towers (kind of like ISPs share underground cable)?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes they can. Usually one company owns the tower and leases it to other providers. Keep in mind that AT&T and TMobile (GSM) use a different cell technology than Sprint and Verizon (CDMA), so for AT&T and Verizon to share a particular tower, they need to have both sets of hardware installed on the tower.

R1Lover

Reaction score
One tower can share all types of signals.... att verizon tmobile can all share the same tower.

the tower itself has nothing to do with what repeater is on it... you will often see 30 plus repeaters on towers around here.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It is worth it to update your PRL code from time to time. While you might be on Verizon and your phone knows where the closest towers for that is the PRL code lets your phone know if other towers are closer. New ones get added from time to time too. Dial *228 option 2 to make sure you are current. You can see the current code you are on in settings/about phone/status