Best Verizon Droid?

Nerelda

Reaction score
Okay, so admittedly, I'm not an android user (yet). I currently own a Palm Pre Plus and although it's been a mostly decent phone, I'm tired of the games (will we get an update this year? next year? never?!). I do believe the webOS can be an amazingly great OS, but not when you toy around with those who have supported you.

Soooo...My question (and yes, I've searched but not found a close enough thread) is...Which Verizon Droid phone is best and why? My mom has the Droid 2 Global and I do like it from what I've seen, but I'd like to hear from others who have had their phones for a few months and have had time to know the good/bad/ugly about the phones.

Thanks!

EDITED to add:

I would prefer one with a qwerty keyboard (as well as on screen), and hotspot capable is a MUST.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
"Best" is subjective, its about what YOU like.
The D2G sounds like its right up your alley though if you're looking for on-screen and physical keyboards. It does 3G Hotspot as well.

DroidForums Junkie!!

OP
N

Nerelda

Reaction score
You're absolutely right. It really is about what I like and that's why I am asking others about the phones they have used. I'm curious to see if there are things they like or don't like that could possibly affect my view on that particular phone.

Thanks! :)

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
The D1 is still my favorite only because of its capabilities. Unfortunately it's obsolete, but if you are interested in rooting it it can serve its purpose for a long time.

awoodby

Reaction score
Aside from physical keyboard or no, what's subjective? This isn't a car we're talking here, it's a phone.

He probably wants what about anyone would want, fast processor, most abilities (camera, tethering, battery life, good screen, what else?)

I really don't mean to sound offensive nor start some flame wars :) Just I to have been wanting a droid for like 6 months to ditch the hated iPhone, but can never figure out WHAT droid is the latest and greatest, and just when I DO, something removes it from the list, such as completely dismal battery life, or reading that the manufacturer is highly unlikely to EVER update the OS for the dang thing!

I guess I could resign myself to just take a mostly random choice, but I'm definitely going to be counting on the "new contract" discount to buy the phone, and thus will be stuck with the choice for 2 years.

ack, getting too chatty here, will start my own thread.

Anyways though, just meaning to support the original questioner :)

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I have a d2g and love it, only complaint i have is the lack of roms currently available (only fission has been released publicly). While I know of atleast one person working on porting liberty thats it. As for battery, i use mine to listen to music for about 4-5 hrs and moderate use and still have about 30% battery left when i get home so mine lasts about 10 hrs and still has enough to do a little bit on it.

OP
N

Nerelda

Reaction score
I have a d2g and love it, only complaint i have is the lack of roms currently available (only fission has been released publicly). While I know of atleast one person working on porting liberty thats it. As for battery, i use mine to listen to music for about 4-5 hrs and moderate use and still have about 30% battery left when i get home so mine lasts about 10 hrs and still has enough to do a little bit on it.

Thank you very much! It's replies like this which I am looking for. BTW, do you mind telling me how long you have had your phone? I know that when a person first gets their phone they have one view, but the view may change over time (or not).

Thanks!

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score

Thank you very much! It's replies like this which I am looking for. BTW, do you mind telling me how long you have had your phone? I know that when a person first gets their phone they have one view, but the view may change over time (or not).

Thanks!

I got it for christmas.... Its my first smartphone (coming from a Samsung Alias 1 lol) and had really no prior knowledge either way on it other than it was supposed to be an awesome phone. Immediately dove in and started rooting and tweaking and havent regretted it. (btw, rooting and using Jrummy's Overclock app helps wonders with the battery because you can progressively underclock if you want to.)

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm a D1 fan but my wife loves her new Droid pro. Similar to a blackberry in looks.

The battery life is abysmal however.

Sent from my GimpDroid (Installed by RZR).

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
My only advice is to play with the soft keyboards, especially Swype. Like many other people, myself I wanted a physical keyboard but hardly use it. Swype is simply faster and easier. And there are other alternatives.

If you are in an LTE area and have to have a phone now, IMO the Thunderbolt launching any day is by far the best, and only option. Even if not, the TB going to be a little beefier, hardware-wise, than the Droid X or Incredible.

If you aren't chomping at the bit, there are several more phones coming over the next 3-4 months. For me, I want an LTE phone and will wait to see reviews on the TB, and then the Bionic, but leaning toward the Bionic although not sure I want to wait.

I'd like to compare the Bionic and TB side by side. I'm sure both will eventually be rooted, but also want to see if the developer community is able to crack the bootloader. If the TB gets a jump with roms that's probably my next phone.

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
The Droid X is by far the best Verizon Droid. It's big, it's fast and it's fairly easy to root. It does not have a physical keyboard, however - fine with me, as I prefer the on screen keyboards, but a deal breaker to some. The 4.3 screen is the clincher for me. I *love* the larger screen.

-Mike

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
My only advice is to play with the soft keyboards, especially Swype. Like many other people, myself I wanted a physical keyboard but hardly use it. Swype is simply faster and easier. And there are other alternatives.

If you are in an LTE area and have to have a phone now, IMO the Thunderbolt launching any day is by far the best, and only option. Even if not, the TB going to be a little beefier, hardware-wise, than the Droid X or Incredible.

If you aren't chomping at the bit, there are several more phones coming over the next 3-4 months. For me, I want an LTE phone and will wait to see reviews on the TB, and then the Bionic, but leaning toward the Bionic although not sure I want to wait.

I'd like to compare the Bionic and TB side by side. I'm sure both will eventually be rooted, but also want to see if the developer community is able to crack the bootloader. If the TB gets a jump with roms that's probably my next phone.

I would imagine they would lock them both down... Almost certain the Bionic would have the same or better lock than the d2 and as far as i know its not even gonna be close to being cracked. As for the TB, i dont have any experience with HTC, would expect them to lock it down pretty well also though.

OP
N

Nerelda

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! These are great replies! I'm not due for an upgrade until the first of December (if they're still going to abide by the contract anyway...), but I am contemplating upgrading my phone early at full price.

@13thAngel - I must admit, this pre plus is my first smartphone as well. I dug in on April 1st and will not go back if I don't have to.

@guidot - I have a similar keyboard to the pro on my current phone and have found that I simply don't like it nearly as much as I thought I would.

@kodiak799 - I hadn't heard of the Thunderbolt or Bionic until now, but I think I will take a further look into them.

@UltraDroid - I appreciate your review. I did indeed look at the Droid X, and though many people have told me I'll rarely use the keyboard, I feel that it is something that will be essential to my needs at this time. As for the larger screen, not really something that is a deal binder for me. I have a job where I am always on the go and need something a bit smaller to fit in my pockets and move around constantly with. (I'm a female, we're not always blessed with large pockets in our clothing. lol) I will certainly keep the Droid X in mind though when I go to look and play with them in the store. :)