Next Best or Upcoming Android Phone to Buy

reddem0n

Reaction score
So, my Droid X which I've had for the past 2 years with the extra warranty plan for Verizon is finally taking a dump. I loved it and think it's one of the best investments I've ever made in terms of toys for myself. I use it for business and personal reasons. I was going to use the warranty to replace it, but found out I have to pay $100 just to get a replacement. I figured, why not get a newer phone for about a 100 bucks more or so. I've been out of the whole phone loop, but finally did some research but still not sure.

At one point I was really excited about the Galaxy Nexus, I was really looking forward to getting it now, but then I found out that the Droid Razzr Maxx is probably the next best and the best one out right now in terms of Android Phones.

My question is - should I jump on the Droid Razzr Maxx pay the $230 for upgrading or is there a newer and better version of the Nexus coming out or a better android phone coming out for verizon wireless thats worth waiting another week or two?

RJ1670

Reaction score
I'm in the exact same boat. Looking forward to seeing some answers. I really want to hold out for the Fighter but, I want to see the specs on it before waiting.

JaylisJayP

Reaction score
I'd hold out until at least April 12, which is the rumored date for the Fighter. It preliminarily looks like the Maxx with a much better screen and a better processor.

Of course, you could wait until May 10 when the Galaxy S3 is supposedly being revealed - that phone looks like a beast. Specs keep leaking all the time, but nobody knows if they're legit or not. A 1080p screen has been rumored.

I have an X2 with an upgrade available and I just couldn't bite on the Maxx because the screen sucks imo. The Fighter is supposed to have the same 3300 battery as the Maxx, which might push me to that over even the Galaxy S3 (which we don't even know if it's coming to Verizon).

Last edited:

krtidad

Reaction score
I also have a droid x and almost hate to give it up. My question is this, if there was a new droid coming out like the fighter wouldn't we
start to see or hear something about it prior to the release date? Any insight is appreciated.
Guarantee if I get a phone now something will be released after the return period.
Thanks

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Have you checked out any of the phones in person? Any of the phones out now are all great phones and I know the Maxx and Rezound are set for ICS, therefore making it more futureproof. It's really up to you, but I definitely recommend you check them out in the store.

JaylisJayP

Reaction score
I also have a droid x and almost hate to give it up. My question is this, if there was a new droid coming out like the fighter wouldn't we
start to see or hear something about it prior to the release date? Any insight is appreciated.
Guarantee if I get a phone now something will be released after the return period.
Thanks

You'd think so, but for some reason in the phone world that's not how it works. Specs and pictures get leaked, then you get a confirmation from the company about the phone either the day it comes out or a couple days before. In some sense it's totally stupid because they probably miss out on building hype for it (Verizon at least also does not take pre-orders on any phone), but on the other hand it's probably done to allow for sales of their current phones for as long as possible.

Just do a google search for Droid Fighter. In addition to leaked pics and specs, there's an internal Verizon memo showing release dates of a few phones, and the Fighter is listed for April 12.

JaylisJayP

Reaction score
Have you checked out any of the phones in person? Any of the phones out now are all great phones and I know the Maxx and Rezound are set for ICS, therefore making it more futureproof. It's really up to you, but I definitely recommend you check them out in the store.

I actually have checked out all the phones in person multiple times, the Maxx/Rezound/Nexus/Spectrum all have some nice elements, but if you're in the market for a phone now, no offense but you'd be stupid to not at least wait a week and a half now to see what the Fighter will be about. ICS doesn't future proof anything, you're still left with sub-par screens on some of these (Maxx) and a weaker processor on others (all except maybe the Spectrum) and a really crappy battery on the rest (all but the Maxx). There's no future-proofing any of that.

The Fighter looks great, but again, nothing has been officially confirmed yet. If it comes out at the same price point as the Maxx, though, I'll probably get the Fighter. I personally might just wait the 3 or 4 weeks after that just to make sure I want the Fighter over the Galaxy S3.

krtidad

Reaction score
I agree. I'm going to wait and see what happens. I spoke to a verizon rep today and she had no listing yet on the fighter being released.

gunner8168

Reaction score
I was all about getting the razr maxx until moto pulled their usual and locked down my Droid x and that did it for me I picked up my gnex a few days ago and have no complaints if your looking for a phone that will be truly yours then this is your phone and as far as waiting for the latest and greatest keep waiting because as soon as you by it I guarantee with in a month there will be something better and for the ppl wanting quadcore don't battery technology is no where near up to standard yet .

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

RJ1670

Reaction score
I can't believe nothing new has leaked about the Fighter. It's been almost two weeks since the last leak.

JaylisJayP

Reaction score
I was all about getting the razr maxx until moto pulled their usual and locked down my Droid x and that did it for me I picked up my gnex a few days ago and have no complaints if your looking for a phone that will be truly yours then this is your phone and as far as waiting for the latest and greatest keep waiting because as soon as you by it I guarantee with in a month there will be something better and for the ppl wanting quadcore don't battery technology is no where near up to standard yet .

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I seriously doubt most people care about their phone being locked down. Maybe some people on these forums, but the vast majority of the public probably doesn't even know what that is let alone care about it.

I normally also would subscribe to the "if you keep waiting for what's next, you'll be waiting forever" mindset, but in this case you're talking about at least 1 phone that has credibly been rumored to launch in 9 days in the Fighter. I said it before in this thread, you'd be stupid not to wait. I had actually decided to wait this time before even the Fighter/S3 were leaked. This current crop of phones just seems like an interim step to me, none of the phones (especially the Nexus) justified their price-point or more importantly the use of a 2-year upgrade.

I was and still am in the same position as the original poster, and was seeking advice the same way. You just have to take the advice from people who already upgraded to a new phone with a grain of salt, as they're going to defend their purchase and justify it to themselves, and that will come across in their "advice" to you. Especially people who bought the Maxx, thinking it's the greatest phone in the world. You hear about the battery and want to believe what they say, then you go into the store to see the phone and realize compared to the Spectrum and Rezound the screen looks horrible. And you look deeper into the specs and see it's basically the same processor as the X2.

Here's the thing with waiting...if you're going to wait, you have to know what you want to wait for. In my case, I wanted the battery of the Maxx in a phone with an HD screen and a bit of a better processor to hopefully help my phone run more smoothly. The Fighter is rumored to be just that phone. Now it makes even more sense to just wait and see if it is. If not, I'll wait until a phone comes around that is.

Upgrading now is dumb, especially because you're already 3-4 months into the lifecycle of these latest phones. And unless I'm wrong, the Nexus and Maxx are still sitting at $300 at the Verizon store.

As for your comment about battery, that's definitely a concern. But the Fighter is rumored to have the same 3300 battery as the Maxx, which even with the better processor and screen enhancements will I'm sure be more than enough. In fact, the biggest knock I've heard on the Nexus is that battery. But if the S3 hits with a 1750 battery I probably won't even consider it, I don't care if it does have wireless charging.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree with JaylisJayP i would just wait an additional 2 weeks and see what happens with the fighter. the Maxx i believe is not even in stock yet. if all else fails and this phone is released it will lower the price of the Maxx ( i would think)
I am eligible for upgrade in 2 months it is time i start researching myself. fighter or maxx are the phones i am looking at . i have had nexus did not like it sure you can hack the &*@# out of it .. but if your in a sketchy service area you wont be able to use the da#n thing as a phone..friends with razr and other phones are pulling great reception in those areas.. i can deal with locked bootloader. IMO you gain very little from a custom rom anymore .. D1 days they were needed now i feel they are not . I will root freeze bloatware and be done with it ..
let the bashing begin :icon_ devil:

huskur

Reaction score
I agree with JaylisJayP i would just wait an additional 2 weeks and see what happens with the fighter. the Maxx i believe is not even in stock yet. if all else fails and this phone is released it will lower the price of the Maxx ( i would think)
I am eligible for upgrade in 2 months it is time i start researching myself. fighter or maxx are the phones i am looking at . i have had nexus did not like it sure you can hack the &*@# out of it .. but if your in a sketchy service area you wont be able to use the da#n thing as a phone..friends with razr and other phones are pulling great reception in those areas.. i can deal with locked bootloader. IMO you gain very little from a custom rom anymore .. D1 days they were needed now i feel they are not . I will root freeze bloatware and be done with it ..
let the bashing begin :icon_ devil:

Great analogy Justin82! Could not have said it any better.

Now as far as which phone to get...... Maxx 4.3 screen Fighter supposedly 5.3 just as the galaxy note on at&t. Battery will be same as the maxx but it does have more screen to power up. That shouldn't be a issue though. Good thing I have a upgrade coming in August because the Fighter will be just "perfect" for me. There will be times the laptop or tablet is left home on business trips.

JaylisJayP

Reaction score
Great analogy Justin82! Could not have said it any better.

Now as far as which phone to get...... Maxx 4.3 screen Fighter supposedly 5.3 just as the galaxy note on at&t. Battery will be same as the maxx but it does have more screen to power up. That shouldn't be a issue though. Good thing I have a upgrade coming in August because the Fighter will be just "perfect" for me. There will be times the laptop or tablet is left home on business trips.

Where'd you see the Fighter was rumored to have a 5.3" screen? Everything I've seen for it so far says a 4.6" screen.

andolasoft

Reaction score
Samsung Galaxy S II, Almost all users finds that the S II is perhaps the smartest Smartphone to have been introduced in 2011 by Samsung. A descendant of Galaxy S, a very popular Android OS Smartphone from the brand, the S II is anticipated to be even bigger a winner.

Last edited: