Best Droid phone that is not Verizon?

picasso

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm new here as you can tell by my post count. I had finally decided on the DX but I am now very disturbed by the thread in the news forum that Verizon may in the future restrict my usage of Google and its product. I simply cannot sign a 2 year agreement with a dark cloud such as this hanging over it. I now need help finding the best Droid phone that is not Verizon. I would be grateful for any and all input. Thanks in advance.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
theyre coming out with pay-as-you-go phones that will include some of the droids

z96Cobra

Reaction score
Droid is a marketing/branding term that Verizon uses on some of it's Android OS phones. All Droids are Android phones, but not all Android phones are Droids. Only Verizon has Droid phones. I don't know much about other providers, but the Samsung Galaxy S will/is available on the big 3. You could sign a 1 year contact with Verizon.

alemane213

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm new here as you can tell by my post count. I had finally decided on the DX but I am now very disturbed by the thread in the news forum that Verizon may in the future restrict my usage of Google and its product. I simply cannot sign a 2 year agreement with a dark cloud such as this hanging over it. I now need help finding the best Droid phone that is not Verizon. I would be grateful for any and all input. Thanks in advance.

Well I don't think that Verizon, will do such things... there already going to put google back on the Fascinate, as for the next best all Google android device, I will say the T-Mobile G2 is going to take the crown.

droidman101

Reaction score
it doesnt matter what big red does to your software on your droid, a custom rom cleans out the bing crap and replaces it with the google stuff really nicely :)

bjb.butler

Reaction score

I'm not sure how you expect verizon to "restrict future usage" of a device that you already own...

but the Samsung Galaxy S will/is available on the big 3.

Sprint, Verizon, T-Mobile, and AT&T all have the Samsung Galaxy S

OP
P

picasso

Reaction score

I'm not sure how you expect verizon to "restrict future usage" of a device that you already own...

Something could very well happen to a phone during the 2 year contract period and the replacement phone does not have to be identical.

Last edited:
OP
P

picasso

Reaction score
Droid is a marketing/branding term that Verizon uses on some of it's Android OS phones. All Droids are Android phones, but not all Android phones are Droids. Only Verizon has Droid phones. I don't know much about other providers, but the Samsung Galaxy S will/is available on the big 3. You could sign a 1 year contact with Verizon.

I checked out ATT's Galaxy called the Captivate but there is no discount currently. It's $499 even with the 2 year contract.

ffej89

Reaction score
My vote is for the Evo. Best phone i have ever owned.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
1 year contract would be my suggestion. It's the route I'm going to take come December when I cross over the first year of my 2 year contract. No more 2 year deals for me. Phone technology moves too fast to stick with one for 2 years.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I currently have the Moto Droid. I will not have a smartphone without a physical keyboard. I stopped to play with the Samsung Epic 4G (Galaxy S) at Sprint today. I intend to stay with Verizon and if Verizon gets that phone when it goes 4G then that would be my choice. It has the best phone keyboard that I have ever tried. Better than my previous favorite enV keyboard. The one on my wife's Ally is good, but the Epic beats it. The 4 inch screen is also about the perfect compromise between too big of a phone and too small of a screen.

OP
P

picasso

Reaction score
My vote is for the Evo. Best phone i have ever owned.

I read up on the Evo and the Epic after reading your post. I'm going to Sprint this week and look at them. Both of them can be used as mobile hot spots on Sprint without the extra $20 a month that Verizon charges. I've always stayed away from Sprint because their coverage map seems to have not changed in over 5 years. I wanted the DX but with Sprint you have the free mobile hot spot and free mobile TV and that may seal the deal for me as long as I can get coverage in the places I go. Thanks ffe.