1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Battery life

Discussion in 'Koush' started by microsnook, Aug 17, 2010.

1. microsnook

microsnook New Member

It just seems like its not all that great.

I flashed one of chevys ULB kernels (1Ghz) and its pretty slick, yes, but Im not sure about battery life.

Can we tweak wifi scans and do anything else to save battery?
  2. The_Other_Ray

The_Other_Ray New Member

yeah, my battery is lousy also. Not even overclocked and within 3 hours my battery went down to 60%. And I didn't use my phone for anything. Wifi was turned off, gps was on but not running. I have the same settings when I used sapphire and I had much better battery life with it. I don't know what is going on with cyanogenmod so I had to restore my sapphire backup. I really like all the features of cyanogenmod so hopefully the battery life will get fixed.
  3. microsnook

microsnook New Member

Yes, I hope something can make it better. I love this rom. Its amazing. And now I have it all set up lol
  4. elwood1229

elwood1229 New Member

I've only had it for a day, but have to say that of all the roms I have tried thus far this has had the best battery life on my Droid. I am using the standard kernel with SetCPU profiles. My usage has not been all that heavy but normal for a day like this. Took it off the charger this morning and it is still at 70% though I suspect it will drop into the 60s soon. I am quite pleased for the first day. We will see how the next few days turn out.

Elwood
  5. microsnook

microsnook New Member

Im still doing some testing myself.
    Its my first day on the rom, so I might be speaking too soon, but we'll see how it turns out.
  6. AtrusNex

AtrusNex New Member

I can imagine the ULV kernel your running is at fault. I bet if you go and check, your phone probably never goes to sleep. I had the same thing happen to me. I guess my phone just wasn't cut out for ULV. I moved to a LV kernel instead and the problem went away.
  7. KingTee

KingTee New Member

I've been getting pretty good bat life with this rom. Better than others i have tried.
  8. millbean

millbean New Member

how can you tell if the kernel is to blame for battery life?
  9. microsnook

microsnook New Member

Thats not bad.

Well I finally got it all set up, the minimum backlight and all, and Im going to test it out for real today.

Its doing good so far, so we'll see.

Ill post back
  10. dbu

dbu New Member

I honestly think that some people that are having terrible battery life just need to get a new battery. I was getting horrible battery life and went and got a new battery abd all is well. I use my phone hard all day at work and usually have at least 50% left...

Sent from my Droid
  11. hrdnhvy

hrdnhvy New Member

My battery life has never been better than now on RC3...Oddly enough i found chevys ulowv kernel drained my battery faster than the lowv one...im running chevy lowv .8ghz kernel...i have found as well battery life can greatly be tweaked mostly by how u have ur phone setting set...i will post a list of things i do in a bit...i gotta leave for work now.
  12. microsnook

microsnook New Member

Yea, ive been unplugged since 930a, and i have around 80% and ive been messing on it all day texting and such.

I finally figured out my settings and battery is good now : )
    Happy with my rom!
  13. AlphaMack

AlphaMack New Member

I had battery issues of my own with CM. As suggested I wiped a few times, reflashed, discharged, and recharged. The result may have been one or more of the combinations above, but I have nearly 24h on a single charge with the stock LV kernel. YMMV of course, but it can't hurt to try.
  14. AtrusNex

AtrusNex New Member

One thing that often happens is Android OS is using more of your battery life than usual after a long time of sitting. It usually is never over 6% after witting with the screen off for a while.

The best way to check is to run spare parts and look in battery history > other usage. Let you phone sit for a while first with the screen off. If your phone reads near 100% on running while screen off is dramatically less. Then that means your phone is never going to sleep. If you haven't installed any new software that could cause this, it's usually the fault of your kernel.
  15. microsnook

microsnook New Member

My battery life is actually really good on this rom now.
    12 hrs 10mins and 13s unplugged and i have 60% : )))
  16. droider4life

droider4life New Member

So what's the key micro? I wish I could obtain a battery life comparable to what your reporting
  17. AutoCANE

AutoCANE New Member

For some reason my phone seems to like Standard Voltage kernels rather than uLV or LV kernels...I have sworn by Chevy's kernels but I couldn't boot with any of them (had that issue on RC2 too until he put out a new set) - so I installed P3's 1k SV and the phone runs incredibly cool and I am getting AWESOME battery life.

Today I had 80% left when I left work @ 5 PM and that included a significant time browsing / texting / a couple calls / some streaming of Pandora.

Fantastic. I couldn't be happier. This ROM is great, and it's not even a finished product yet.
  18. microsnook

microsnook New Member

If you can load chevys froyo ULV 1Ghz kernel, then flash it. That should be good.
    settings>CMSettings>and then find where the brightness is. Im on my phone so I can't say exactly. But he let you customize your own auto brightnesses. You can as many or little stages as you wish.
    ie: stage one: AUTObright level 2
    Stage 2: level 15
    Stage 3: level 25
    these numbers aren't so high, and will probably be activated when indoors and its bright(ish). And stage 4 or 5 would be brightness of around 200 or so,so its daylight readable.

Another thing I noticed was my sms to gmail backup was set on auto, so every time a text was sent/received, it backed up, using up way too much data. I set it to manual. Go through and check all your apps and such.

Also turn the screen off (obviously) when you don't use it. Don't let it sit and turn itself off.

And setcpu settings should be ondemand. 1ghz at highest and 250 lowest.
    Screen off should be around 250 low and 400 high.

Hope this helps anyone....
  19. AtrusNex

AtrusNex New Member

If you really want to conserve power while taking a small performance hit you should try using the conservative governor over the on demand governor. The conservative governor keeps you at lower clock speeds most of the time except when you really need it, whereas the on demand governor always boosts you to the highest clock speed it can go then slowly drops back to the slower clock speeds.

I've used conservative all last week with very minor differences in speed but running a full 10°C cooler under extended use.
  20. Sibuna

Sibuna New Member

I'm I missing something in setcpu or is the conservative setting kernel specific?

All i have is Performance, On Demand and Userspace

running Cm6 RC3 with the default kernel, set CPU version 2.0.2, I'm not having any issues with bat life but I'm always interesting in tinkering