Battery life

droider4life

Reaction score
So what's the key micro? I wish I could obtain a battery life comparable to what your reporting

AutoCANE

Reaction score
For some reason my phone seems to like Standard Voltage kernels rather than uLV or LV kernels...I have sworn by Chevy's kernels but I couldn't boot with any of them (had that issue on RC2 too until he put out a new set) - so I installed P3's 1k SV and the phone runs incredibly cool and I am getting AWESOME battery life.

Today I had 80% left when I left work @ 5 PM and that included a significant time browsing / texting / a couple calls / some streaming of Pandora.

Fantastic. I couldn't be happier. This ROM is great, and it's not even a finished product yet.

OP
microsnook

microsnook

Reaction score
So what's the key micro? I wish I could obtain a battery life comparable to what your reporting

If you can load chevys froyo ULV 1Ghz kernel, then flash it. That should be good.
settings>CMSettings>and then find where the brightness is. Im on my phone so I can't say exactly. But he let you customize your own auto brightnesses. You can as many or little stages as you wish.
ie: stage one: AUTObright level 2
Stage 2: level 15
Stage 3: level 25
these numbers aren't so high, and will probably be activated when indoors and its bright(ish). And stage 4 or 5 would be brightness of around 200 or so,so its daylight readable.

Another thing I noticed was my sms to gmail backup was set on auto, so every time a text was sent/received, it backed up, using up way too much data. I set it to manual. Go through and check all your apps and such.

Also turn the screen off (obviously) when you don't use it. Don't let it sit and turn itself off.

And setcpu settings should be ondemand. 1ghz at highest and 250 lowest.
Screen off should be around 250 low and 400 high.

Hope this helps anyone....

AtrusNex

Reaction score
If you really want to conserve power while taking a small performance hit you should try using the conservative governor over the on demand governor. The conservative governor keeps you at lower clock speeds most of the time except when you really need it, whereas the on demand governor always boosts you to the highest clock speed it can go then slowly drops back to the slower clock speeds.

I've used conservative all last week with very minor differences in speed but running a full 10°C cooler under extended use.

Sibuna

Reaction score
I'm I missing something in setcpu or is the conservative setting kernel specific?

All i have is Performance, On Demand and Userspace

running Cm6 RC3 with the default kernel, set CPU version 2.0.2, I'm not having any issues with bat life but I'm always interesting in tinkering

droider4life

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks. I am going to try this out and see what happens. I will report back.

AtrusNex

Reaction score
I'm I missing something in setcpu or is the conservative setting kernel specific?

running Cm6 RC3 with the default kernel, set CPU version 2.0.2, I'm not having any issues with bat life but I'm always interesting in tinkering

Yes, not all kernels have support for the conservative governor. If you're interested, I recommend checking out either P3Droid's or ChevyNO1's kernels, as I believe both support conservative governors and a wide variety of clock frequency slots and voltages.

This is a little debated, but I also recommend using a minimum frequency of 125 MHz. Some people say it's to slow to reasonably run the processor at, but others including myself haven't had any problems with it. It also means that your device is running at half it's intended speed while idle which can lead to a much cooler CPU and less power used. I've seen my CPU still running at temps in the high 60's F after being unplugged for hours.

KingTee

Reaction score

Yes, not all kernels have support for the conservative governor. If you're interested, I recommend checking out either P3Droid's or ChevyNO1's kernels, as I believe both support conservative governors and a wide variety of clock frequency slots and voltages.

This is a little debated, but I also recommend using a minimum frequency of 125 MHz. Some people say it's to slow to reasonably run the processor at, but others including myself haven't had any problems with it. It also means that your device is running at half it's intended speed while idle which can lead to a much cooler CPU and less power used. I've seen my CPU still running at temps in the high 60's F after being unplugged for hours.

I'm using Chevy's ulow 900 kernal. I have all of my cpu governors set to conservative with auto brightness.

droider4life

Reaction score
I am just reporting back. I found that my phone is happy with Chevy's low voltage 1.0 kernal. And now I can easy get ten hours with above average usage. You guys really gave some good tips, this being the best battery thread I have found. Thanks guys. With some more playing around I bet I can get better life even still.

Stories

Reaction score
My phone runs best with a LV P3 kernel. I'm running at 550MHz max and 125MHz minimum with a conservative governor. I can get over 24 hours of battery life with low-moderate usage. High usage, I can get through a full day if I unplug in the morning.

Chevy's kernels run extremely hot on my phone for some reason, no matter which one I use (ULV, LV, MV) and no matter what speed I set it at.

Maverick0984

Reaction score
Where are you guys getting the P3 kernels? I only see ones for Eclair on Rom Manager.

jville95

Reaction score
Where are you guys getting the P3 kernels? I only see ones for Eclair on Rom Manager.

P3Droid kernels, go HERE.
Slayher kernels, go HERE.
Chevy's kernels, go HERE.
JDLFG kernels, go HERE.

Personally, slayher kernels run great on my Droid and keep the temps LOW. But im still searching for a 20+ hour battery life. The most I've gotten is 13 hours on one day with light to moderate usage. Now, I can get up to 8 hours before I recharge.

*edit: I run my kernel at 600/250 Interactive governor(only on Slayher). BBv0.4 rom.

Last edited:

jville95

Reaction score
If you can load chevys froyo ULV 1Ghz kernel, then flash it. That should be good.
settings>CMSettings>and then find where the brightness is. Im on my phone so I can't say exactly. But he let you customize your own auto brightnesses. You can as many or little stages as you wish.
ie: stage one: AUTObright level 2
Stage 2: level 15
Stage 3: level 25
these numbers aren't so high, and will probably be activated when indoors and its bright(ish). And stage 4 or 5 would be brightness of around 200 or so,so its daylight readable.

Another thing I noticed was my sms to gmail backup was set on auto, so every time a text was sent/received, it backed up, using up way too much data. I set it to manual. Go through and check all your apps and such.

Also turn the screen off (obviously) when you don't use it. Don't let it sit and turn itself off.

And setcpu settings should be ondemand. 1ghz at highest and 250 lowest.
Screen off should be around 250 low and 400 high.

Hope this helps anyone....

Alright microsnook. Im on CM6 RC3 and I've adjusted your settings to my rom so we'll see how well my battery life is. Btw, Im on ChevyNo1's 1.0GHz kernel. After trying many other roms, I'm hoping to see decent to sufficient battery life. :icon_eek:

rcali001

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
My battery life has never been better than now on RC3...Oddly enough i found chevys ulowv kernel drained my battery faster than the lowv one...im running chevy lowv .8ghz kernel...i have found as well battery life can greatly be tweaked mostly by how u have ur phone setting set...i will post a list of things i do in a bit...i gotta leave for work now.

Sounds like a great idea!

Sent from my DROiD REDMiX by R3Ds using Tapatalk

rcali001

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
I've been getting pretty good bat life with this rom. Better than others i have tried.

Those stats look great! Can you post your stats and what you are currently running (kernal and ROM). Thanks!

Sent from my DROiD REDMiX by R3Ds using Tapatalk