Battery drains fast!

Reaction score
Yep. Android OS seems to be everyone's big culprit. Hoping Google does something about this in the next update.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

phillyphill39

Reaction score
Now i have 27% left and sitting at 9h 7m 3s on battery. This is with a lot of texting no calling and a lot of just playing with the phone.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Actually the screen is the culprit here. It takes up the vast majority of the battery.

I have it set manually but it's hard to tell exactly where it is since it doesn't tell you.

When I have the phone just doing nothing it loses barely anything.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
screen should be taking majority of the batter power when phone is awake. amoled screens don't use power displaying black pixels so if you want to conserve power with screens turned on set it to pitch black background.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
screen should be taking majority of the batter power when phone is awake. amoled screens don't use power displaying black pixels so if you want to conserve power with screens turned on set it to pitch black background.

Good theory but who just stares at their screen for long? You run apps and they are NOT black.

scdown

Reaction score
I restarted my nexus and started Watchdog. "Android media process" seems to take 20% for 5 to 10 minutes. This seems to correspond with an app called "Media" that has a lot of keep awake time when I boot up after a charge.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

pilot25

Reaction score
Actually the screen is the culprit here. It takes up the vast majority of the battery.

I have it set manually but it's hard to tell exactly where it is since it doesn't tell you.

When I have the phone just doing nothing it loses barely anything.

Many of the knowledgeable devs have pinpointed that the OS is keeping the phone awake. The "Android OS" under the battery usage should not be in double digits. What you are looking at is a 100% cumulative total of battery usage. So if your phone is lit up all the time then the screen will out weigh everything else. However, take your phone off the charger at night after hitting 100% and turn off all your radio transmitters. The thing will drain hard over 8 hours without the screen on or anything pinging the net or gps satellites since all is off.

There is nothing you can do about it. Goog needs to get on this ASAP. Maybe this was the reason for the delay and yet they couldn't come up with a fix quick enough. They didn't want to stall christmas sales so they released it anyway. My guess.

Battery life is big a big decision maker with the average population of users. It killed the thunderbolt in terms of potential sales.

Last edited:

jcardona1

Reaction score
As I mentioned in post #43, there is a bug with the kernel. It's not the screen, it's not the 4G. There's something else. If you're getting 6-10hrs with light use, there is SOMETHING WRONG. Go over to XDA and see the folks that are going on several DAYS without charging the phone. Hopefully this gets fixed soon. If you have these issues, take screenshots of your phone right before it dies, and take note of the Android OS usage, and find somewhere to post this so that it gets Google's attention.

This is the best I've had so far, after turning off all touch sounds, screen locks sounds, 4G (using 3G or wifi), Android Beam and NFC. Basically turning this super duper smart phone into a dumb phone just so it lasts me most of the day.

10hrs and 40min, with 2.5hrs of screen-on time. And look at Android OS. Something is keeping it awake for 5.5hrs, chewing up the battery. Definitely not normal.

AND NOTE, THIS IS WITH AN EXTENDED BATTERY!

Screenshot_2011-12-18-20-04-44.png

Screenshot_2011-12-18-20-05-29.png

Screenshot_2011-12-18-20-05-00.png

Screenshot_2011-12-18-20-05-08.png

Last edited:

wolstonc

Reaction score
All in 4g, same charge as before

Reaction score
Well said. I ended up having to use a Battery app that basically turns all of my data off when the screen is off just so I can last through my work night. That Android OS has got to be fixed.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

wolstonc

Reaction score
How to see awake time?