Lot of battery topics...but for good reasons.

OP
ChevyNexus

ChevyNexus

Reaction score
Man I'm getting no luck... I disabled G+ an I undid the my verizon update an I deleted the verizon music app...maybe I should stuck with my bionic :( I even have juice defender on aggressive..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

x25064

Reaction score
Why not compare em'.... Dude this Maxx is a beast and looks great also... Just saying!!!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using DroidForums

I'll stick with my blur-less 720p display.

OP, do a COMPLETE drain of your battery, recharge the phone while OFF, and repeat twice more. You will notice significant improvements. Get the extended battery too, it absolutely makes a difference. If and when you do, repeat this process with the extended battery as well.

nleksan

Reaction score
Ugh, I don't feel like pulling screenshots off my phone at the moment, but even with every unused "main" app disabled, and all of the battery tricks I know having been done, I am still MAXING OUT at about 8-10hrs with very-light use (i.e. Tues/Thurs I have class at 9:30, 11:00, and 2, each being 1:15long and that is when I am not using my phone at all; between those, I will make calls, text, browse internet over WiFi, and whatnot... I, out of habit, charge my phone during the second class, but when I don't I am lucky to make it from 8:45AM to 4PM without hitting my 14% warning).

Under "heavy" use, as in browsing over WiFi, I can drop my battery to zero in 2 hours, which is stupid.

EDIT: I have also done two back-to-back 100% drain/charge cycles but it seems as if the battery gets better for a little while after doing it, then gradually gets worse. I don't know what that is all about.

Also, I LOVE my phone, I just simply hate the battery life... It's not a deal-breaker, but come ON now...

Last edited:

revelated

Reaction score
I've been trying to tell people. Voice calls murder the battery. Or more specifically, anything that uses the phone's radio (calls, texts, etc). Heavy phone usage will kill the battery, period. Also, if your 4G signal is not the strongest, the battery will struggle as it tries to get and stay connected.

shrop's idle is through the roof so we know he's not really using it.

Compare that to the RAZR where it's the exact opposite. It can do phone very well without much battery loss, but plain 4G data destroys the battery regardless of signal strength.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Based on your awake time and screen on you're a very heavy user. The Bionic would do worse not better.

Man I'm getting no luck... I disabled G+ an I undid the my verizon update an I deleted the verizon music app...maybe I should stuck with my bionic :( I even have juice defender on aggressive..

shrop21

Reaction score
yeah my phone sat in my pocket a lot yesterday..but I've learned that turning off 4G helps a lot. and use your led notification. if its not on there is no need to check your phone. where a watch :happy3: Somehow managed to make it through two full days..forgot to plug her in last night and coasted through today

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score

Looking at your screen shots you are a very heavy user or your screen is staying on constantly. Make sure you turn your brightness down if your phone is going to be on that much, it looks like it was on constantly for about 3-4 hours from your screen shot and that will massacre your battery if your brightness is set above 20-30%.

It also looks like you were possibly on a very long call, which could explain the poor performance as well.

With these big screens on 4G LTE devices, you can't expect a full days worth without charging. It's not going to happen with heavy usage like what's seen in your screenshot.

The only phone you can expect good battery life while being a heavy user on 4G is the Razr Maxx and you're still only looking at 12-13 hours of heavy usage like you've showed us.

Last edited:
OP
ChevyNexus

ChevyNexus

Reaction score
Yeah....with the extended battery an my screen has never Bern on for four or 3 hours haha

nleksan

Reaction score
Even doing everything I have come across (here and elsewhere) to improve battery life, aside from rooting my phone, I still am bothered by this whole "keep awake bug" thing... I have heard the "official explanation" about it being added times, but I don't buy it... That just honestly seems like far too simple of a coding mistake to have gone unnoticed over the entire development of 4.0.x.

I do let my screen time-out on it's own literally 99% of the time, and I always open/"back"/"swipe-away"/force-close the camera when I reboot. Keep Awake time is still higher than it should be; the reason I don't "buy" their explanation is that if it truly is two times added together, why does it NEVER exceed the time my phone has been on? I tested this by restarting my phone and then browsing the internet for exactly 30min (screen on the entire time) and then let it sit for 30min after letting the screen time-out; when I checked it, total Up-Time was 1h1m39s, Screen On time was 30m8s, and keep-awake time was 48m3s; the second time, I did the same exact thing except I only let it sit for 5 minutes after the screen timed out, and got Total Up Time of 36m21s, Screen On time of 30m22s and Keep Awake time of 35m51s... It seems to me that if it "doubled" by adding two numbers together, it could exceed the total "Up Time" of the phone, yet nothing I do has been able to cause that to happen.

What a headache!

sfierro

Reaction score
If theres one factor, 4g off makes this phones battery last a good amount of time

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Even doing everything I have come across (here and elsewhere) to improve battery life, aside from rooting my phone, I still am bothered by this whole "keep awake bug" thing... I have heard the "official explanation" about it being added times, but I don't buy it... That just honestly seems like far too simple of a coding mistake to have gone unnoticed over the entire development of 4.0.x.

I do let my screen time-out on it's own literally 99% of the time, and I always open/"back"/"swipe-away"/force-close the camera when I reboot. Keep Awake time is still higher than it should be; the reason I don't "buy" their explanation is that if it truly is two times added together, why does it NEVER exceed the time my phone has been on? I tested this by restarting my phone and then browsing the internet for exactly 30min (screen on the entire time) and then let it sit for 30min after letting the screen time-out; when I checked it, total Up-Time was 1h1m39s, Screen On time was 30m8s, and keep-awake time was 48m3s; the second time, I did the same exact thing except I only let it sit for 5 minutes after the screen timed out, and got Total Up Time of 36m21s, Screen On time of 30m22s and Keep Awake time of 35m51s... It seems to me that if it "doubled" by adding two numbers together, it could exceed the total "Up Time" of the phone, yet nothing I do has been able to cause that to happen.

What a headache!

That bug is still not what's really hurting the battery. It's the screen being on that is causing the big battery drains. I don't even notice 4G using a lot of my battery, it's just my screen and I'm only at 40% brightness and have it set to turn off after 1 minute.

You'll see an improvement once they fix the keep awake bug, but I bet you $100 it doesn't even come close to helping enough to even notice. I think the best way to improve battery life is keeping brightness very low(which reduces the quality dramatically) and keeping 4G off. That's really the only way I see to greatly improve battery life.

I'm able to get through the whole day without charging myself, but I'm sure other people who have longer days than I are having trouble with this giant screen+4G. Until they incorporate similar batteries like in the Maxx, we're just going to have to keep charging up anytime we get a chance. Sucks a bit, but it's the price we pay for being early adopters.

hollowbox

Reaction score
I tend to get about 14 hours with 3 hours of screen on time with the extended battery. That would be my average day. Depending on what Im using I have gone well over a day with the same amount of screen on time. It gets me through nearly everyday without need for a charge and on the days when I really going hard on it a couple small charges here and their in the car cover me. I am impressed with the gnex battery life.

Shad0w0fDeth

Reaction score
Why do people show their long battery times when the phone is idle?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

nleksan

Reaction score
That bug is still not what's really hurting the battery. It's the screen being on that is causing the big battery drains. I don't even notice 4G using a lot of my battery, it's just my screen and I'm only at 40% brightness and have it set to turn off after 1 minute.

You'll see an improvement once they fix the keep awake bug, but I bet you $100 it doesn't even come close to helping enough to even notice. I think the best way to improve battery life is keeping brightness very low(which reduces the quality dramatically) and keeping 4G off. That's really the only way I see to greatly improve battery life.

I'm able to get through the whole day without charging myself, but I'm sure other people who have longer days than I are having trouble with this giant screen+4G. Until they incorporate similar batteries like in the Maxx, we're just going to have to keep charging up anytime we get a chance. Sucks a bit, but it's the price we pay for being early adopters.

Screen is at 30%, time-out is 30s, GPS/BT/etc all disabled (as are all apps I don't use... now a total of 16), and I am on WiFi the second I step into home/school/work/girlfriend's which is, the past month, about 95% of my time; and WiFi set to "never sleep" gave a 5-10% improvement, plus I ALWAYS turn it off the second I step out the door.

I turning OCD because of this phone's battery life! I can get through 6hrs at school, but it's only used in between classes (sometimes during, shhhh don't tell) and I get a Link-Layer Speed of 180Mbps when I manually set it to 40Mhz width band (although range goes down). Mobile data is turned off on pretty much everything (background data, that is) except for e-mail, messaging, browser, and a few other necessary apps. Otherwise, I just wait til I'm on WiFi or open the program manually if I need it. I also have been using ForceGPU Rendering which has not impacted battery but made the phone FEEL snappier, or maybe it's just placebo. I also have background task set to NO MORE THAN FOUR, and manually swipe away anything the moment I'm done with it, except for the browser (I usually have a few tabs up).