ASTRO beta

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by huskur, Jan 28, 2010.

1. huskur

huskur Well-Known Member

Just got a message that astro beta was going to expire in 3 days. I uninstalled it and reinstalled and now it will expire march 31st. Is there any way for it to not expire?
  2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Where did the message come from? (Pop up, email, etc.)

Astro is constantly updating so perhaps you haven't been updating? That's the only thing I can think of.
  3. Enter

Enter New Member

In the description on the marketplace it does say beta ends 3/31. Well you have two options- pay for it when it is released or download a different browser/manager, there are some other free ones with high ratings.
  4. huskur

huskur Well-Known Member

pop up when using it this morning. I also have estrongs installed and it is good but i like the picture viewing of astro
  5. Enter

Enter New Member

I kinda like the stock gallery but I also have B&B Gallery installed, the free one has ads so you might want to try it then buy it.
  6. coolkidd

coolkidd New Member

so how much is it if you want to buy it?
  7. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach New Member

8. ndhill1976

ndhill1976 New Member

I got the same message because I ignored an update a couple days ago. I went into the market place and downloaded the update, and the message went away. You didn't have to uninstall.
  9. gatewayad

gatewayad New Member

The update is really nice, they are working hard to make it a great file manager, as of yesterday i dont think i would of purchased it if the beta had expired, i would of found something similar. Now after the update and letting us beta test it another 60 days I think it will be worth the purchase price if $5.00 or under.
  10. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

Yeah it really just depends on the price for me, if it's on the cheaper side.. as you said prolly 5 and under, then i'll most likely get it. Anything higher then that, and i might just go find a new one.
  11. jrocketdroid

jrocketdroid New Member

I saw this as well...but at 5:30 in the morning, I didn't think much of it. Where can I see if I'm on the beta version or one that won't expire?
  12. CDB

CDB New Member

When I heard the announcement that this app was going to a paid version, I didn't bother waiting to hear a price to find a new file manager. There are too many out there that do the job for free.
  13. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

It's still another 2 months away. So for now i will enjoy there "beta" program and be happy with it. Once it becomes paid, it will be another story. Why change something right this second if you don't have to.

Astro is a very robust file manager. I had tried 2-3 other also, and they just didn't have the functionality that astro did.
  14. CDB

CDB New Member

I guess on the other hand, why wait to change until you're 'forced' to? As you note, it will be a different story once it goes paid, so I'd rather find an alternative now while I still have use of the free Astro rather than sort of being forced into a corner to buy it because it offered some piece of functionality that I'd need right "there-and-then", that while some free alternative may offer, I now don't have time to search for it.

But that's just me.
  15. Firegrl

Firegrl New Member

I haven't purchased an app yet for my Droid so please excuse my ignorance with my question:

This won't just start charging us, like on our phone bill, once the beta version expires right? I don't like things that just start charging you without giving warning!
  16. huskur

huskur Well-Known Member

Answer: NO

nothing is charged until you set up the "charge" account for puchasing apps. I also will not pay for an app most likely.
  17. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

Yeah as stated, they can't just charge you without your knowledge. Once it goes to a paid version, which will most likely be a downloaded update to astro, you will need a serial key to unlock it. Or the new version we just downloaded has a timer on it that will make it not work after that date.
  18. coolkidd

coolkidd New Member

I might buy it for $1.99.... any higher than that then I will look for another alternative.
  19. Ghostwheel

Ghostwheel Member

This has me wondering, though. What if paid apps start putting in these type of timers so that instead of buying something once, they make you subscribe? I.e., "Your copy of FooApp will expire in 2 days; please pay $.99 for another 30 days." Is this possible with the way the App Market works? Do any apps do this yet?

If nothing else, apps like that would hopefully inspire open source developers to create free alternate versions, a la OpenOffice.
  20. Firegrl

Firegrl New Member

Thanks for the info guys. Just like to be informed before any hidden fees start popping up.

I would pay for apps if they were truly stellar and there were no free substitutions....