Astro Beta

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Reaction score
omg, astro always expires. it'll just be an update in a couple days and then it'll say ends 4/31 or 5/31...its still free. stop with the ridiculous posts.

kellex

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not sure why that was a ridiculous post. I've never seen Astro expire. Nice friendly forum here.

Last edited:

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
There certainly seems to be a lot of talk about Astro. Some are saying it's an April Fools joke. I love Astro, don't get me wrong, but a few days ago I discovered Root Explorer and I'm very happy with it now.

CatsTide

Reaction score
There certainly seems to be a lot of talk about Astro. Some are saying it's an April Fools joke. I love Astro, don't get me wrong, but a few days ago I discovered Root Explorer and I'm very happy with it now.
+1
with all this expiration talk i dumped astro and went totally to root explorer. there is really no reason to have 2 file managers anyway and we have to have root explorer. not to mention astro is huge

Reaction score
its not expiring. its not gonna be a paid app.

every version of astro has expired. once the update comes out it'll go for another 2-3 months and say beta expires 6/30 or whatever it'll be. but the uneducated can uninstall astro if they want, i couldnt care less. just know that nothing's changing once april comes around.

y0manda

Reaction score
How many versions of astro have you had that expired? I have had astro since November and none of them expired. Hope it's an April fools joke because I like the app backup feature.

OP
mwhartman

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Guys, sorry I posted the darn thing. I registered with Droid Life last month and receive a daily email with links to articles on their site. Perhaps I'm missing something but I honesty thought Droid Life was a valid site that distributed accurate information.

Mike

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Guys, sorry I posted the darn thing. I registered with Droid Life last month and receive a daily email with links to articles on their site. Perhaps I'm missing something but I honesty thought Droid Life was a valid site that distributed accurate information.

Mike

You didn't do anything wrong, Mike. The current version of Astro does indeed have a warning message that it will expire on 3/31. It may well be that the developers put out another "beta" version with a built-in timer at that point. Apparently, they have done so in the past, though I've had Astro since early December and haven't experienced it in the past. Furthermore, I just checked my wife's version (downloaded last week) and it has the same warning message.

I would expect the developers at some point to begin charging for the app. It certainly merits a charge. We'll see.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hmm I just got this message too, I got my droid in Nov and this is the first I've seen it! Anyway if a paid app comes I might just buy it. I dunno, I like Root Explorer but I just seem to like Astro more.

Riddick

Reaction score
Root Explorer is superior as a REAL file manager but Astro has a much better GUI and is more convenient to use for basic stuff like exploring what's on your SDcard and installing applications. I wouldn't recommend using Astro for backing up apps though, use Titanium for that.

Also, Root Explorer is a paid program and Astro is free.

Neko

Reaction score
I got the message to, so if this is true what program can we use if were NOT rooted?

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I uninstalled Astro last night.. I liked its UI and graphical appearence, but hey Root Explorer does it all... RIP Astro