Are we ready to scale back the screen size yet?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Verizon-video-teases-the-shatterproof-glass-on-the-Motorola-DROID-Turbo-2.jpg

Looking at the what Apple did yesterday and listening to reviews about the s7 I begin to wonder are we ready to get some more high end phones that we can use with one hand?

I love the Nexus 6 and Note 5 for multimedia, especially when I am on lunch break catching up on Arrow or Flash via Hulu. But at the end of the day I spend less time doing that than I do trying to multitask, like shoot out an email/text and do something else at the same time. Yeah we have phones like the Nexus 5X but I would like to see a Nexus 5 that actually have specs to rival the latest smart phone (ie premium build, latest hardware, high resolution display, a great camera, and a large battery). By the way if Google is listening how about throwing in that shatterproof display as well. :D

How about you, are you ok with the 5.5 inch phones or would you like to see more premium devices in the range of 4.5-5.1?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I've said it before and I'll say it again a million times, my wife definitely wants a smaller phone. I'm surprised she's stuck with my old Note 4 as long as she has since I got the 6P.

The 6P is the biggest I'd go. I have a pair or 2 of jeans that it gets a little uncomfortable in the pocket when I sit if it's not positioned just right.

I use my phone WAY more than any other devices (tablets, PC-except at work), so it's a fair trade for me to have the larger screen.

I realize though, that not everyone uses their devices like I do. I think there's definitely a market for smaller screened phones that still have respectable specs.

We were looking at the specs on some of the mini devices that were offered a few years ago (S4 mini, droid mini, etc) and they were sorely lacking in the spec department.

The S4 was getting too sluggish for the wife before she took over the Note 4. She wants/needs decent specs, but also really wants a smaller screen. I know she's not alone in that by any means, even if I'm not in the same camp.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
While I love my 6p, a smaller screen with these specs would be awesome. About the size of my bionic would be nice.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll say it again a million times, my wife definitely wants a smaller phone. I'm surprised she's stuck with my old Note 4 as long as she has since I got the 6P.

The 6P is the biggest I'd go. I have a pair or 2 of jeans that it gets a little uncomfortable in the pocket when I sit if it's not positioned just right.

I use my phone WAY more than any other devices (tablets, PC-except at work), so it's a fair trade for me to have the larger screen.

I realize though, that not everyone uses their devices like I do. I think there's definitely a market for smaller screened phones that still have respectable specs.

We were looking at the specs on some of the mini devices that were offered a few years ago (S4 mini, droid mini, etc) and they were sorely lacking in the spec department.

The S4 was getting too sluggish for the wife before she took over the Note 4. She wants/needs decent specs, but also really wants a smaller screen. I know she's not alone in that by any means, even if I'm not in the same camp.
It's funny you say that because when many talk about small phones we think of our significant others. But I know every now and then, especially when using my nexus 5, I realize how good it feels to use my phone one handed. That was the primary reason I chose the note 5 over the nexus 6p. The note 5 felt closer to the size of my nexus 5. Perfect world would be to have a nexus that had the screen size of my note (or close to it) that fit into the body of my nexus 5. Utopia would be to have a built like the Motorola with ballistic skin and shatterproof screen....and beyond would be that I could use Samsung pay with it. I'm not expecting the beyond but here is hoping for the Utopia.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
My personal ideal size would be around 5.5". The G2 was a large phone for the time and was very easy to use one handed because the bezels were minimal. I'd scale back to 5.5 if the phone was designed similarly. But that'd probably be difficult incorporating front facing speakers, which is a must have for me now.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
See, I don't feel like I have an issue with the 6P one handed. Same story when I had the Note 4.

While I was using the S3 for a couple weeks getting my 6P fixed, it constantly felt like the screen was too small & didn't feel that much easier to use one handed.

Of course, I have larger hands & considerably longer fingers than most people I know. Everyone I've ever compared them to with the exception of a couple, I have at LEAST a knuckle longer fingers.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That helps lol. I don't have large hands and while it did take some getting use to using the 6P. The only part that I think makes it difficult to handle is the slippery metal.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
That helps lol. I don't have large hands and while it did take some getting use to using the 6P. The only part that I think makes it difficult to handle is the slippery metal.

Sent from my Nexus 6P
Centre argue with that. I've been easing into using it without a case once in a while just in case it was something I did that cracked the back glass. Though I know that's not the case, I can't help but worry now. It's naked right now. Slick for sure.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
See, I don't feel like I have an issue with the 6P one handed. Same story when I had the Note 4.

While I was using the S3 for a couple weeks getting my 6P fixed, it constantly felt like the screen was too small & didn't feel that much easier to use one handed.

Of course, I have larger hands & considerably longer fingers than most people I know. Everyone I've ever compared them to with the exception of a couple, I have at LEAST a knuckle longer fingers.

For people with larger hands phones like the nexus 6p is fine because for them it is like using a 5.1 inch phone for me. The note 5 is actually almost the perfect size for me. Take a little off the top and we are talking about Nexus 5 territory for sure.

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I love my Nexus 6 and the screen size is perfect for me. I'm an oddball in that I rarely use the device with one hand. Always tired with two, and now I hold it with one and Swype with the other. For games and media, screen can't be beat.

As for a smaller screen Nexus with premium specs, expect a premium price. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. I really dig my premium Nexus.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I think it was ridiculous to bail on the smaller phones in the first place. Sony didn't, at least, but they are such a bit player. You can't get the Mini from VZW.
My friend has a Moto X 1st gen. Beat to snot but still works great. He's determined not to upgrade until Moto makes a smaller Moto X. He is convinced they will.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I think we should develop tech with bendable displays...to be able to resize your phone..if that makes sense..bigger when you want or need it...smaller when you don't...we already have willow glass and other variants like it being tested for such things..they just need to get em on the market..easier said than done I'm sure..but I'm hoping..

JDH

Reaction score
Turbo one is as large as I would go but I still prefer holding the Razr Maxx, it is perfect, if only it could be updated to more recent OS.

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
I have an S6 and that's about as large of a screen I feel comfortable with. It's 5.1" and sometimes it's tricky reaching the upper corner of the screen with my thumb. It's *just* out of reach so I can't always single-hand the phone. The first-gen Moto X I had was "just right." Prior to that, a Galaxy Nexus.

My first Android phone was a Droid X. I remember thinking how massive the screen was at the time, compared to the LG Dare I was coming from!! LOL.

Amagine

Reaction score
Oddly. I had the same conversation with my wife when the news came out. When we first met. She had an iPhone 4 that she loved. She's a short tiny woman so the 4 inch iPhone worked well for her hands. When it came time for an upgrade, she decided to jump to a Galaxy S4, she liked the bigger sized screen enough that when that upgrade came around went for the iPhone6.

I told her yesterday that they had built a new iPhone 4 but with better internals and upgrades and her comment was "What you think I want to go back to a 4 inch screen? o_O "