Is the Nexus 6 the nexus we were looking for?

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Agree everyone gets caught up on the updates ...then get update and complain it messed my phone ..lol
@popcenator you have unlocked phone you don't need Verizon updates ...flash away my friend ...we had fun with the Galaxy Nexus if not for the horrible battery ...

One+1

creaky

Reaction score
I love everything about this but the size. I guess I'll see if I can hold one and live with it.

supermandroid

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X 2nd Gen
This is absolutely the phone I've been waiting for! I've been on Verizon since I've had a cell phone, and the Droid X is definitely the best phone I've ever owned. I've been waiting for Motorola to release a Nexus device with their premium build, amazing radios, and a stock Google experience on a large sized screen! I plan on buying this outright at full price to keep my unlimited data. I'm still rocking my S3 from a few years ago. It's a great phone, still, but it's starting to show its age.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
People make far too big a deal about updates imo. Use your phone and enjoy it for what it has, not what it may get in the future. Just my 2 cents.

S5 tap'n
I do agree, but some updates are critical to security, or come with performance improvements. And we all know the GNex needed all the help it could get lol.

on the move..

roboots21

Reaction score
So here is how I am seeing it ... if you have this phone on any US carrier (AT&T, VZW, Sprint, etc.) ..... IT IS THE SAME PHONE.

Unlike with the GNex on VZW .. it was an entirely different phone than the GSM version. It appears to me that here, the Nexus 6 is the SAME EXACT PHONE no matter what carrier you put it on. You'll be able to buy it from the Play Store and take it straight to any carrier.

In the end, while I DESPISE VZW, I think that this will finally be the Nexus phone that all VZW folks have been waiting for. It will get the quick updates straight from Google and be up to date. What most people don't know (and I'm not sure exactly how true this is) is that the GNex on VZW was pushed there by Samsung, and not so much by Google. That alone was one of the delays for updates on top of it being VZW.

For all VZW customers' sake who buy this phone, I hope it ends up getting the quick updates and being the phone it is meant to be right from Google. If not, you can be sure that VZW will almost be guaranteed to NEVER get another Nexus phone. I WANT WANT WANT this phone, but not sure if I'll be forking out the $650 for it.

npro1464

Reaction score
Will Verizon have a subsidized version of the Nexus 6? I'm not shelling out $650 when I can buy a Moto X for $99. If VZ works in the cost of subsidizing the phone into our contracts, why would I buy the phone out of contract?

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Agree everyone gets caught up on the updates ...then get update and complain it messed my phone ..lol
@popcenator you have unlocked phone you don't need Verizon updates ...flash away my friend ...we had fun with the Galaxy Nexus if not for the horrible battery ...

One+1

I don't wait for updates (to be more precise over the air) I update the phone my self via adb so I can only blame myself for the issues.....but I that will not stop me from complaining.
;)

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Verizon HAS BEEN SELLING A NEXUS DEVICE.. the nexus 7 lte. I'm surprised that really, only bsweetness and I have really mentioned it. But yes vzw has been selling a nexus device, since the Samsung nexus..

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So here is how I am seeing it ... if you have this phone on any US carrier (AT&T, VZW, Sprint, etc.) ..... IT IS THE SAME PHONE.

Unlike with the GNex on VZW .. it was an entirely different phone than the GSM version. It appears to me that here, the Nexus 6 is the SAME EXACT PHONE no matter what carrier you put it on. You'll be able to buy it from the Play Store and take it straight to any carrier.

In the end, while I DESPISE VZW, I think that this will finally be the Nexus phone that all VZW folks have been waiting for. It will get the quick updates straight from Google and be up to date. What most people don't know (and I'm not sure exactly how true this is) is that the GNex on VZW was pushed there by Samsung, and not so much by Google. That alone was one of the delays for updates on top of it being VZW.

For all VZW customers' sake who buy this phone, I hope it ends up getting the quick updates and being the phone it is meant to be right from Google. If not, you can be sure that VZW will almost be guaranteed to NEVER get another Nexus phone. I WANT WANT WANT this phone, but not sure if I'll be forking out the $650 for it.

Yes, which means Verizon WILL NOT have control over otas. It will be like Apple where all the software come from Google. It should not come preloaded with anything.

Now for the sake of argument let's say Verizon gets all on their horse and find a way to ruin the nexus experience again. Well just go to best buy, google, amazon, or other carrier store (ie T-mobile, At&t, Sprint) and buy the Nexus 6 and put a verizon sim card in. Being it is fully unlocked you can take it to any carrier.

By the way I do not think you guys truly grasp this fully unlocked concept and how big this is. For awhile we been pushing for this and to see it finally here is big. For someone like me, who is not under contract, I can buy this phone and take it to any carrier. Now imagine if you could truly do that with not only Nexus devices but iPhones, Galaxies, LG, and HTC. We could truly shift the balance back to the customer. People are looking at the Nexus 6 as it being the first premium nexus but missing the fact that it is the first fully unlocked nexus that works on all carriers and this is just as a big step in the right direction (if not more) by Google. We look as Google as leading the way for future android devices well this device does that. If you can buy a phone whether it be android, windows (@cereal killer < I know you lean more towards seeing Windows grow), or iOS and you had the freedom of doing like our international brethren and are able to go to any carrier and pop in a sim.....whoa will that not change some of the pricing. You do not think verizon and at&t will have to rethink their plans. Like now where at&t is going to sell the note 4 at 825, I can go to T-mobile, Sprint, or some other vendor and pay less and then go to At&t and get a sim. Or say Verizon decides they want to continue nickeling and diming I can just go to t-mobile or Straight talk and only use Verizon when I am in the sticks. Oh and if Google (with windows and iOS to follow) develops the dual sim concept....oh it will be truly shift the market in our favor. So guys step back and truly look at what we have on the horizon.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL

Yes, which means Verizon WILL NOT have control over otas. It will be like Apple where all the software come from Google. It should not come preloaded with anything.

Now for the sake of argument let's say Verizon gets all on their horse and find a way to ruin the nexus experience again. Well just go to best buy, google, amazon, or other carrier store (ie T-mobile, At&t, Sprint) and buy the Nexus 6 and put a verizon sim card in. Being it is fully unlocked you can take it to any carrier.

By the way I do not think you guys truly grasp this fully unlocked concept and how big this is. For awhile we been pushing for this and to see it finally here is big. For someone like me, who is not under contract, I can buy this phone and take it to any carrier. Now imagine if you could truly do that with not only Nexus devices but iPhones, Galaxies, LG, and HTC. We could truly shift the balance back to the customer. People are looking at the Nexus 6 as it being the first premium nexus but missing the fact that it is the first fully unlocked nexus that works on all carriers and this is just as a big step in the right direction (if not more) by Google. We look as Google as leading the way for future android devices well this device does that. If you can buy a phone whether it be android, windows (@cereal killer < I know you lean more towards seeing Windows grow), or iOS and you had the freedom of doing like our international brethren and are able to go to any carrier and pop in a sim.....whoa will that not change some of the pricing. You do not think verizon and at&t will have to rethink their plans. Like now where at&t is going to sell the note 4 at 825, I can go to T-mobile, Sprint, or some other vendor and pay less and then go to At&t and get a sim. Or say Verizon decides they want to continue nickeling and diming I can just go to t-mobile or Straight talk and only use Verizon when I am in the sticks. Oh and if Google (with windows and iOS to follow) develops the dual sim concept....oh it will be truly shift the market in our favor. So guys step back and truly look at what we have on the horizon.

Maybe, maybe not. While it does appear to be the exact same phone for all U.S. carriers, there's one big thing everyone is overlooking - Verizon's CDMA network. In order for a device to run on Verizon's CDMA network (which is still very much in use and will be for several years), Verizon has to approve the device and put every single approved IMEI number into their system. That means it's possible that the only way to get a fully functioning Nexus 6 on Verizon is to get one through Verizon (or a "Verizon Approved" model through the Play Store). And if that's the case, Verizon may be able to exercise some control over the update process.

Unless Verizon grants an exception (which is not likely given Verizon's history), the Nexus 6 would have to be 100% LTE, including VoLTE, in order to avoid the problem of needing to be added to the database for CDMA usage. The issue there is VoLTE isn't completely ready. It's is slowly rolling out, but it will be a while before it's used for everything. In fact, even with the few phones that are VoLTE capable (I have one - the S5), VoLTE only fully works when you're calling someone else who has a VoLTE capable device. So, the CDMA network is going to be needed for a few years yet.

The Nexus 7 runs purely on Verizon's LTE network. It doesn't use their CDMA network at all. No voice/texts and no 3G. Given that, it's easier for Google to avoid Verizon demanding some say in the update process.

All of that said, let's also keep in mind that if Verizon will have a say in the update process, they have gotten somewhat better. The 2013 Moto X saw quick updates, and the Verizon Galaxy S5 was one of the first to receive an update to 4.4.4. Let's hope that continues.

sb1831

Reaction score
Honestly Verizon nearly ruined the Nexus line for me. As a person that was a day 1 Android guy with the HTC G1, I found it a bit disheartening to see what they did to the Galaxy Nexus. Slow updates, the loss (for a period of time at least) of AOSP support, and then to top it off the cut the life cycle short on the Galaxy Nexus big time. I couldn't even get a CLNR device less than 2 years after I purchased it on day1

Given all of that, it IS finally the Moto Nexus I've been patiently waiting on. I've still got unlimited data so of course I'll end up getting it and most likely regret it because of Big Red

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Here's a video by MKBHD that I think sums things up nicely. He also mentions that the device itself is no taller than an iphone 6+, but they managed to put a 6" display on it, if so then I may strongly consider it because it's not as big as I thought it would be.

I admit I wrote off the device initially, but if MKBHD's findings are right in terms of measurements, I'll strongly considerate as my next phone. Even as much as I want that z3v.

Last edited: